Light for aquariun

I was thinking of planting my aquarium and now my led strip went so I need to buy a light. The tank was secondhand and the light removed from the lid. So although I had the lid on. I'm thinking of removing it and putting this one on. Any experience.

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-lighting/aquarium-t5-lighting/100cm-t5-fish-tank-lights-two-tubes.html

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Here is what I was thinking of putting in:

Anubias Heterophyllia (mother plant)

Echinodorus bleheri

Microsorium pteropus

Cryptocoryne wendtii Brown

Crytocoryne legroi

Pisttia stratiotes

Eichornia crassipes

Java Moss

Eleocharis aciculares

Oh and maybe some pothos

I'm not familiar with this light fixture but a lot of members here have them along with different brands of LED lights.

Tithra, (Jess) a member and Mod here wrote up an article about Measuring lights level in a planted tank. It's pinned in the forum here for how to set up a planted tank I believe. You might want to check it out. With this light fixture that your talking about it has 10000k that will be very strong. Some plants will thrive with that amount and some might not do as good. (like what I was talking about in your other thread) I'm not familiar with some of your plant list. Some members will raise their lights or suspend them from the ceiling if the lights are too bright for their plants. I'm not sure if this light can do this or if you are even interested in something like that. When measuring light,... You measure the light from where your light fixture rests (be it on top of the tank, suspended from the ceiling, or a bar attached to the stand to raise the lights however much you want) to the top of your substrate. I personally have the (BML) build my led lights that have 10000k that rest on top of my tank and found it too bright for some of my plants. I was able to adjust the lights down with my dimmer that I had ordered with my light fixture. With this added feature I absolutely love my led lights. If you go to: plantedtank forum you can check out their lighting section and learn a ton of information on a lot of different brands of light fixtures. There is also a section on plants that you can read to see about the plants your asking about. I believe Jess had mentioned the forum plantedtank in her article that I mentioned above. I learned about the forum from an employee where I purchase some of his plants from.

Kat, everything besides the pistia (water lettuce) will grow under a wide variety of lighting conditions. The lettuce, however, will prefer higher levels of light. The fixture you linked might work depending on the size of your tank and its depth. You would want to replace the marine bulb it comes with though.

With this light fixture that your talking about it has 10000k that will be very strong. Some plants will thrive with that amount and some might not do as good.

Cheryl, 10,000k is just the bulb's colour temperature. It's not necessarily going to produce more PAR. ;)

Hi prettyfish thanks for that in depth information. Sounds like I need to do some more reading up. Planted tanks are complicated lol. This light is a clip on I think though. So I can't raise it. And I can't have a suspended light because I'm renting and can't screw anything into the walls or ceiling. Can you just add the dimmer to any light?

Dan. I read somewhere I should choose plants that have the same lighting requirements. I could maybe still put the other two in and see. The lint actually comes with a choice of bulbs. Either marine blue and white (marine). Or red and white (tropical)

Dan. I read somewhere I should choose plants that have the same lighting requirements.

Well there is some truth to this, but it depends on the setup. If you're only using low or medium light, stocking plants that require a lot of light would be a bad idea. In a high light environment; however, you can plant pretty much anything. You, however, have other factors to contend with in a high light environment; for example, carbon dioxide and fertiliser management. :)

What is considered a high amount of light. Would this lamp be suitable?

Also what bulbs would I 've better of going with. Sorry for all the questions. Should probably just go read up on it lol

Light levels aren't universal. Hoppy on the Planted Tank lists it as 50 PAR and upwards, whilst others state higher numbers like 80 constitute high light. It's really up to you what bulbs you choose. Personally I like the combination of a 6400k and a 10,000k bulb. I find the former too yellow and the latter too white, but together they blend nicely. (Un)fortunately colour temperature is a judgement of taste. Just be sure to avoid marine bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Just wanted to let you know that in the end after a bit of research (and realising that whatever light system I chose had to adapt to an upgrade when I get a chance) I actually went for three clip on lights with two 20w 6500k cfl lamps and one colourcganging led bulb. Although I think I might change the led to a 30w 6500k bulb.