New Tank Mate Suggestions for my Red Cap?

Now that Grace (my orange oranda) is gone--RIP sweet girl :heart --our 29 gallon tank looks very lonely with just little Lucy (my red cap) in there.

My daughter is begging me to visit PetSmart this week to buy a new tank mate for Lucy.

Lucy's personality:

- She's inquisitive and friendly, and watches me a lot.

- Her tail is short, so she mostly wobbles around the tank, although she can move very fast when startled.

- She's quick to come to my hand and nibble my fingers for food.

- She's a slow chewer, so Grace ate most of the food pellets first.

- Lucy chased Grace around the tank a lot, pushing on her from behind and trying to steal Grace's food.

I had originally considered buying a black moor, but now I wonder if Lucy would be too aggressive for that. Should I get another red cap around the same size? Another LPS also specializes in pearl scales--would one of them be a good fit for Lucy?

Or should Lucy just live alone? Any suggestions?

I would decide if you want a male or female and then wait til you see the perfect fish. Don't limit yourself.

I'm not sure how to recognize a male from a female fish, but I'm good with either.

Have fun shopping at PetSmart this week and picking out a new fish. Or, Don't be surprised if the fish picks you out by swimming to the front of the tank saying, "pick me, pick me." :) Looking forward to seeing what you bring home.

So sorry for the loss of Grace.

Have fun shopping at PetSmart this week and picking out a new fish. Or, Don't be surprised if the fish picks you out by swimming to the front of the tank saying, "pick me, pick me." :) Looking forward to seeing what you bring home.

So sorry for the loss of Grace.

Thank you.

We'll probably visit the store a few times to "check out" the fish and observe their behavior before taking one home. Also, PetSmart gets new fish on Thursdays, so I'll definitely visit first thing Friday morning.

I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Don't worry about the variety. Pick the fish you can't resist. There is absolutely no personality/behavior trait that is shared by all the members of a variety.

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish, and I hope that you're able to find one that's just perfect for you.

Please remember to quarantine! It's very important, but often overlooked.

Don't worry about the variety. Pick the fish you can't resist. There is absolutely no personality/behavior trait that is shared by all the members of a variety.

Sounds like great advice, thanks! :D

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish, and I hope that you're able to find one that's just perfect for you.

Thank you.

Can I just treat the tank with both fish in it? I don't have a separate tank for the new fish.

Happy fishshopping :P hope you find your perfect Goldie

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Thank you! :D

Thank you.

Can I just treat the tank with both fish in it? I don't have a separate tank for the new fish.

It's not a good idea to add a new fish to your main tank straight away. The new fish may introduce very undesirable illnesses into your main tank, without even showing any symptoms. It's a very big risk, which I can not stress enough.

Many people don't bother to quarantineuntil their luck runs out, and they buy a sick fish, which takes down their others.

Thank you.

It's not a good idea to add a new fish to your main tank straight away. The new fish may introduce very undesirable illnesses into your main tank, without even showing any symptoms. It's a very big risk, which I can not stress enough.

Many people don't bother to quarantineuntil their luck runs out, and they buy a sick fish, which takes down their others.

How many days do I need to keep the new goldie in quarantine? Can I put the fish in my 5 gallon bucket with a battery-operated air pump and air stone?

Thank you.

How many days do I need to keep the new goldie in quarantine? Can I put the fish in my 5 gallon bucket with a battery-operated air pump and air stone?

You would have to change the bucket every day. And replace any salt or medication (most all goldfish from stores will have flukes and .3% salt will kill the other things). If you get a QT tank and cycle it with some media from your main tank, it'll be a lot less work and be worth the peace of mind. And a QT tank always comes in handy.

Most of us qt in a ten gallon, but it doesn't have to be an aquarium, it can be a sterilite bin from walmart. In fact, I recommend the sterilite tubs over the aquarium, as you can buy two, and make your life so much easier. Have the fish in one, and then when it's time for your daily w/c, fill the other container, and just move the fish. No fussing over putting the fish in a bowl, while you change the water. Bins are very cheap, and work just as well. There's actually no need to run a filter on your qt tank, but you can, for water circulation; all that you really need is an airstone, and some salt. The reason you will not need a filter is that for new fish, we do daily 100% w/c's. Do you have aquarium salt, or Morton's Canning and Pickling salt in your home?

Please have a look at this article, and it will tell you a bit more as to how, and why, we QT:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/water-quality-articles/goldfish-quarantine-procedure-r503

I would decide if you want a male or female and then wait til you see the perfect fish. Don't limit yourself.

I'm not sure how to recognize a male from a female fish, but I'm good with either.

Maybe I should have clarified that if you get a male you will probably have to deal with eggs and fry at some point. Do you want to do that?

Most of us qt in a ten gallon, but it doesn't have to be an aquarium, it can be a sterilite bin from walmart. In fact, I recommend the sterilite tubs over the aquarium, as you can buy two, and make your life so much easier. Have the fish in one, and then when it's time for your daily w/c, fill the other container, and just move the fish. No fussing over putting the fish in a bowl, while you change the water. Bins are very cheap, and work just as well. There's actually no need to run a filter on your qt tank, but you can, for water circulation; all that you really need is an airstone, and some salt. The reason you will not need a filter is that for new fish, we do daily 100% w/c's. Do you have aquarium salt, or Morton's Canning and Pickling salt in your home?

Please have a look at this article, and it will tell you a bit more as to how, and why, we QT:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/water-quality-articles/goldfish-quarantine-procedure-r503

Great advice, thanks! I bought two Rubbermaid bins for QTing, and I have an airstone and aquarium salt all ready to go for my new goldie.

Thanks for the link to the article, too. :)

Great advice, thanks! I bought two Rubbermaid bins for QTing, and I have an airstone and aquarium salt all ready to go for my new goldie.

Thanks for the link to the article, too. :)

Awesome! I'm so excited! Make a thread, when you get your fish, and be there with you, every step of the way. :)