Sign in to follow this  
Andy228

Possible Ich

Noted my two new ryukins and calico butterfly were sitting in one corner of tank with redness after first round of prazi and 0.1% in 30g qt. The butterfly had a lot of white spots on her tail. Added a post in qt. Afterward, I look up ich. Stopped prazi and moved them to a sterile tube. Increased temp to 78% and gradually added salt to 0.3%. After two days, I noticed less white spots on the butterfly tail. The two ryukins are more active and dorsal fins no longer clamped. The red white ryukin was chasing and biting the calico tail. Separated it today with a floating plastic container. Her tail is frayed and very weak. I was able to give her rephasy this morning.

2/27 post in qt questioning reaction to prazi and 0.1%

2/28 moved fish from 30g to sterile tube

3/1 wc, increased temp 78, added 0.3% salt

3/2 wc, temp 78, added 0.15% then 0.15% salt

Questions: How long should I treat with temp and salt treatment? How should I treat butterfly's tail? Thanks

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrate level(Tank) 5
* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrate level(Tap) 0
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
* Water temperature? 78
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 g tank 6 days, 6 g sterile tube 3 days
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? none
* How often do you change the water and how much? daily 100% now
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 3, 4" to 5"
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? seachem prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? once a day wotj rephasy soilent green mixed with super green and saki hikari fancy purple
* Any new fish added to the tank? two short tail ryukins added to quarantine with calico butterfly 2/13/14. two nerite snails added 2/11/14.
* Any medications added to the tank? 0.3% salt

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. prazi + 0.1% for 1 round and one day of 2nd round, melafix for 8 days
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? grains of salt noticed first on calico butterfly 5 days ago, bloody streaks and frayed fins on all three noted while they were in 30 g tank after first round of prazi and 0.1%
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Corner sitting, clamped dorsal fin, rubbing abdomen and sides against bottom of tank, bloody streaks of caudal fins

2/27

_20140228_223029_zps3jix3ctw.jpg

_20140228_221211_zpsuirnfvla.jpg

_20140228_221127_zpsgguvvy2u.jpg

_20140302_160727_zpsfy1ynayk.jpg

_20140302_160250_zpscffbiuss.jpg

Edited by Andy228

Hi Andy, I'm sorry you are having issues.

Salt alone should suffice, and we usually recommend a minimum of 2 weeks and ideally 3 weeks.

If you like, you can increase the temp to 80-82, but I personally don't really see the need for doing this, as long as your tank is at least 70.

Dnalex, the possible source of ich I think is from the two ryukins brought home on 2/13 or two nerite snails I got on 2/11. The snails were qt with all three fish in melafix then moved to main tank on 2/22 without problems. I did not see any white spots on ryukins day one. They were qt with melafix 8 days then started on prazi + 0.1% salt.

Dnalex, the possible source of ich I think is from the two ryukins brought home on 2/13 or two nerite snails I got on 2/11. The snails were qt with all three fish in melafix then moved to main tank on 2/22 without problems. I did not see any white spots on ryukins day one. They were qt with melafix 8 days then started on prazi + 0.1% salt.

It's very possible. In the end, it's academic. We will just have to treat, get rid of the ich permanently and move on. :)

Is salt sufficient for Sheila's tail?

Is salt sufficient for Sheila's tail?

I believe so. It's looking that way because of the ich. Once we have eradicated the parasite, the fins will heal, and should heal quite nicely. :)

Sheila is deteriorating. Unable to eat even when I placed repashy jel into her mouth. She is split it out. Much thinner now bottom of her stomach looks flat. Floating side way.

_20140303_230803_zpsff9xzel_edit_1393910

Edited by Andy228

How many days of salt at 0.3% are you at? I'm sorry this is taking such a toll. Have you tried blood worms?

What of the others?

Day 3. Other two doing well very active redness on side and underneath almost gone. Red white ryukin still pick on sheila when she's outside of floating container.

Sheila is just floating sideway labor breathing. First time she's unable to eat. Will try frozen blood worms.

Sheila died. Found her motionless early morning. Very depressing. She was fine 3 weeks ago. Floatyness did not killed her. Basically, I killed her since I bought too many fish and placed them together in qt.

Plan to bury her in backyard once the snow melt.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Sheila.

I'm sorry for your loss. :hug.

How are the others doing?

Sheila died. Found her motionless early morning. Very depressing. She was fine 3 weeks ago. Floatyness did not killed her. Basically, I killed her since I bought too many fish and placed them together in qt.

Plan to bury her in backyard once the snow melt.

I'm so sorry. :(

Please don't be so hard on yourself.

dear andy, i'm so sorry about sheila.

She was a fighter. Recovered from floatyness many times even heater burn. I will miss her.

Sheila lost a lot of weight during her last 3 days. Maybe I could have fed more and separated her earlier from red bird, red white ryukin who kept biting her tail. It was strange he did not exhibited those behavior earlier. Koopa, metallic ryukin did not bite sheila.

Red bird and koopa doing well. Daily 100% wc with 0.3% salt. No more redness or any noticeable white spots but red bird has some blacken area on tail now.

_20140305_165314_zpswtesz1a7.jpg_20140305_165345_zpsf0kisyip.jpg

_20140305_165443_zps9led3hcf.jpg

The black is absolutely normal, and represents the protective/healing responses occurring at those places. :)

After 2wks is it ok to add liquid prazi along with 0.3%? Then drop salt to 0.1% with prazi start of 4th wk?

After 2wks is it ok to add liquid prazi along with 0.3%? Then drop salt to 0.1% with prazi start of 4th wk?

Sounds like a great plan.

How are they doing today?

Both are doing well. Red bird's dorsal fin was broken in past but more separated today.

Will it heal to original shape?

_20140306_222855_zpslbcw9qcs.jpg

_20140306_222744_zpsjfsssh5l.jpg

Split fins will heal up fine, but bent or broken rays may not.

I am glad they both are doing well! :)