Sign in to follow this  
Tiffany_King

Aquaponics betta tank at petco

No, I haven't.

You need to post photo(s).

http://m.sfgate.com/business/article/Back-to-the-Roots-fish-tank-herb-garden-combo-4726998.php

I'm too scared to put edible plants bc I'm not sure on the transfer of disease or bacteria to the plants. It comes with an oil to bathe your fish in to prevent this. So to me that's a legit concern and idk how strong these oils are at killing.

I would be worried about what's in the oil you're supposed to bath your fish in. It sounds potentially harmful for the fish. It's a cool idea but you can always just use tank water to water your regular houseplants. That's what I do.

Edited by Goldenhero

No, but it's become pretty popular. While it is 3 gallons and is sufficient space for a betta fish, I don't support the way it's marketed. They're telling people that the plants will "clean" the water so many who buy it don't ever change the water. It also doesn't come with a filter (go figure) or a heater. IMO, it has a lot of potential in the hands of an informed hobbyist, but with the way it's advertised, it's not much better than a bowl/vase in my book. I wouldn't trust any "oil" it's telling you to put in the water.

Are all the vegetables you buy grown in sterile culture medium? They wouldn't be grown in bacteria-laden soil would they? :)

That's a total rip off. You could make the same thing with a "critter carrier" with the lid turned upside down to hold the plants. The problem is that to fertilize those plants you'd need about three goldfish in that 3 gallon tank. Edible plants need a lot more nutrients than aquarium plants or house plants.

Some aquaponics growers claim to be able to produce 200 pounds of fish in 200 gallons, using 72 square feet of plant-growing space. That's some stocking density!

I didn't use the oil. I've had my betta for a couple years and I didn't want to risk whatever that oil is. I talked to an owner of an aquaponics farm who said not to worry about any kind of transfer and that my betta wouldn't be enough to grow some edible plants.

So the pump displaces water up the tube and fills the top rez. When it reaches a certain height it goes down this hole back into the tank. So it's passing through the roots. I do plan on water changes and gravel cleaning but I could see how someone new to the hobby wouldn't know. I have a little heater for him. I just like the look of the plants on top. :) if they do wind up growing lol

Are all the vegetables you buy grown in sterile culture medium? They wouldn't be grown in bacteria-laden soil would they? :)

That's a total rip off. You could make the same thing with a "critter carrier" with the lid turned upside down to hold the plants. The problem is that to fertilize those plants you'd need about three goldfish in that 3 gallon tank. Edible plants need a lot more nutrients than aquarium plants or house plants.

Some aquaponics growers claim to be able to produce 200 pounds of fish in 200 gallons, using 72 square feet of plant-growing space. That's some stocking density!

You do make me feel a little better about eating aquaponic plants lol.

This has got me interested in making some plant filtration (bog filter?) for my goldfish

To be completely honest this is a gimmick and there isn't much aquaponics actually going on. You're much better off providing the betta with a proper tank and growing some plants in a windowsill using old fishwater as a nutrient source.

This would probably be better in a product review. I didn't think of that at first lol.

Ya, regular water changes are a must with that thing but you could grow some little things like succulents or other small house plants. But a filter and heater and light are needed. And it makes it sound like you don't need to feed the fish but you definitely do. And oil isn't really good for bettas as it can clog the gills and labyrinth so they can't breath.