Starting a planted tank

Hi my experienced friends. I was hoping I could pick your brai s on starting a planted tank.

I would like to go for a clean natural look. On the modern side.

I currently have black fine gravel. A very thin layer. A couple of tall and full plastic plants. A java fern. And two Egeria Densa. They have suffdered from me putting prazi and salt in the tank though and have turned yellow and brittle. So I took them out for the time being. A real shame because they were a nice pair.

I am currently treating my fish for flukes and probably need to wait until the treatment was over.

I am hoping the plants will help with the nitrates present in my tap water.

Another question is. What do I do when doing wcs. I can't connect my python to the tap so I remove the water with it but fill back up with buckets.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure that it's the praziquantel giving your plants trouble. Are you dosing any fertilizers?

Ah, I see you have salt in your tank--that'll do it! If you'd like, let's move your plants to another container with only fresh water, add ferts and a light, and you'll be good. Plants are very good at surviving, even when we're so busy trying to kill them. I've become an expert at plant killing; the key is to just keep trying. :)

Do you have a clip on desk lamp, that you can place near your plant container?

I have currently placed them in a seperate container with clean freshwater. Near the window. But I didn't give them fertiliser. I will need to add some. They font look happy

Don't worry, if you give them time, they'll come back!

Hi Balham!!:-) I stick with java fern! and mix in silk plants!! my lights are on for 8 hours a day!

the lighting is a single 5' tropical daylight tube with a reflector!! hope this helps!!:-)

Thanks fingers. I hope that one day I'll have as amazing a tank as yours

if I can be of any help I will!!

They will bounce back. I live in an old house and cannot use a python. Instead, I purchased a really inexpensive pump from China on ebay. I place that in my tank, stick a clear plastic tube (from a hardware store) on the top and empty the water into the sink. When refilling, I move the pump into a bucket in the sink and run the other end of the tube into the tank, turn on the tap (add prime to the bucket) and plug in the pump.

I call it the Mikey Method, after our member Mikey who showed me how to do it.

When go down the plant route. Do I need more substrate? Also I like the idea of bamboo and pothis but dontt have an HOB. I have a lid on my tank currently. Should I take it off? It's close to our window. Only spot I could put it. Also since it was second hand it didn't have a light and there is just a loose cable. I stick some waterproof led lights on to the top of the lid. Will I need a different light set up?

I stick my pothos in the gap between the filters, and the versa top. It's about an inch or two wide, and serves its purpose nicely. The lucky bamboo goes in a soap dish, which I bought at Walmart. I'm holding that dish up with heavy-duty suction cups, and it is also smashed between the glass top, and the tank back.

Edited by yafashelli

When go down the plant route. Do I need more substrate? Also I like the idea of bamboo and pothis but dontt have an HOB. I have a lid on my tank currently. Should I take it off? It's close to our window. Only spot I could put it. Also since it was second hand it didn't have a light and there is just a loose cable. I stick some waterproof led lights on to the top of the lid. Will I need a different light set up?

you will need lighting!! check out all pond solutions website!! also unless you keep your plants in pots you will need at least 2 inches of gravel/substrate so they can root or if you have Java fern you can attach it to rocks/bogwood ect!! please bare in mind goldfish love to eat plants!!! although they are not keen on Java fern!:-)

I'll have a look for a different lighting solution. Probably will take the lid of to put root plants. And a clip on light?

Since I don't know how to connect a tube light.

So far my goldies haven't eaten the plants I put in there. In general they stick up their nose at any veg ( obviously following the example of my Scottish bf). Although they like wouldn't green.

Here is what I was thinking of putting in:

Anubias Heterophyllia (mother plant)

Echinodorus bleheri

Microsorium pteropus

Cryptocoryne wendtii Brown

Crytocoryne legroi

Pisttia stratiotes

Eichornia crassipes

Java Moss

Eleocharis aciculares

Is that too much?

I'll add s one more substrate. Sometimes the bottom shows and that annoys me anyway. Any suggestions?

Oh and maybe some pothos as I said before

You can never have enough plants as far as I am concerned!! :-)

there are some easy fit LED lights that are suitable for plants!! cheap to run too!:-)

Haha. Will Do. Youll habe to guide ne tgrough the process as hdudl though :P

are you drunk???? lol :-P

O

Welcome to starting a planted tank. :) How exciting for you.

This is what I've learned so far in my experience of starting a planted tank as of last December. Others here have helped me also. (and I'm still learning. Far from being any kind of expert) I might be repeating some stuff above in your thread here but this is what I've learned:

First off, start with a good substrate and light fixture.

You'll want between 2 and 3 inches of substrate. If you have rooted plants I think leaning toward the 3 inches would be better for the roots to get settled in. I personally use the Seachem Flourite substrate in my 20g betta tank which I love. In my gf tank that I just started with plants I'm just using my black sand. This will be interesting for me to see how well this works for my plants. I know others just have the sand and it works for them. You more than likely will need to use some kind of plant supplement such as Flourish, Excel. or both.

Depending on what kind of plants you want to plant in your tank I think will determine what kind of light fixture you want to have. There are so many choices to choose from it drove me crazy deciding on my lights which I'm extremely satisfied with. A lot of members say the T lights. I don't know if they are the T5 or T8's. But me personally, I think the LED lights have come a long way and in the long run a better savings for your dollar. You won't need to go out and buy more bulbs when they go out. Everyone has their own light fixture choice which are working great for their individual needs. Going back to my first sentence though I think it all depends on what kind of plants you have in your tank also. If you choose plants that require a lot of high light you will need a light fixture that can deliver those needs.

Plants: While choosing all your plants I believe it's best to sticking to the same kind of plants that require the same amount of light time (hours) and light intensity (high/medium/low. I'm learning it's like a balance act. ha ha Some of my more delicate plants had melted because the lights were too bright while other plants of mine thrived in the bright light. That's why I'm suggesting sticking to the same kind of plants that require the same kind of light intensity and the same amount of light time.

The only plants I have in my goldfish tank at the time are the Anubias and as of last night smaller Swords. (waiting to see if my fish are going to pick at them. So far all is good) I've heard that it might be best to sticking with plants that are hardy for goldfish. To stay away from the more delicate plants. To stick with plants that have the thicker leaves and stems. That they are a stronger plant for the goldfish. In my betta tank I have more delicate plants because it's just a small betta instead of three big goldfish. ha ha I'm sure the members here that have a variety of plants in with their goldfish can tell you their experiences. I could be totally wrong here with my thinking. I'm sure someone will kindly let me know. :)

Anyway, I could probably go on but won't. ha ha ha I hope this helped some instead of giving you a headache. :(

Edited by 4prettyfish

I am hoping the plants will help with the nitrates present in my tap water.

If you're looking for plants to remove nitrates, I would look at terrestrial plants over aquatic/marsh plants. Terrestrial plants will use any excess nitrates in your water; however, the aquatic plants prefer ammonium over nitrates. That is not to say they won't make use of the nitrates, but they prefer ammonium.

How embarrassing. I should redo that, it's so poorly written. :rofl