Sign in to follow this  
James95

Buoyancy Issues- Ugh

Hi all,

At the beginning of this week I noticed my red and white ryukin started swimming sort of funny. She seemed fine otherwise. Today she's having even more difficulty swimming. I've tried feeding peas for her last 3 meals, but to no avail. Sometimes she just "gives up" trying to swim and just floats upside down to the top and just hangs there with her belly out of the water. I imagine this can't be healthy and she's not very happy like this. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!! I'm at a loss as to what else I can do. :doh11::cry

The mods will need all the info filled out to help you well. I've been through this myself and it can be multiple issues which is why all the info is needed. I ended up doing rounds of meds and a complete diet change but you may need something different.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5-10ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master test kit
      • * Water temperature? 72 degrees
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, established since 1999. Cleaned and redone last week
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Eheim 2213, Eheim liberty 2042
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 30-50%
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days ago
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 goldfish, small sizes. 1 small pleco
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime or Safe
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Flakes and pellets, supplemented with frozen food. Once a day.
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? N/A
      • * Any medications added to the tank? N/A
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Fish have never been medicated for anything.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Floating at the top, most likely due to swim bladder issues.

I would fast her for a 2-3 days. Have you seen her poop? Can you please post a video of her? :)

I would fast her for a 2-3 days. Have you seen her poop? Can you please post a video of her? :)

I concur.