Water temp affect cycle?

I am just wondering: How does the water temperature affect the tanks nitrogen cycle? I have read that goldfish will slow down or stop eating in the winter when the temperatures are lower.

If my tank is colder, does this affect the filter as well?

I am just wondering: How does the water temperature affect the tanks nitrogen cycle? I have read that goldfish will slow down or stop eating in the winter when the temperatures are lower.

If my tank is colder, does this affect the filter as well?

Beneficial bacteria (and more important the enzymes that they use to reduce ammonia and nitrite, etc) will be less and less effective as the temperature cools down, and at some point become essentially non-functioning.

What is the temp of your tank?

As Goldilocks prefers, not too cold and not too hot, so does bacteria. I doubt you will get to the low temps we have here in Canada, where the outside temperatire is currently -13C/8.6F but it is possible.

This article covers Autotrophic Nitrifying Bacteria and Temperature. This chart, from the article, summarizes the relationship. If you are already cycled, then you should be able to maintain your cycle in cold water. If you are cycling, then it will take much, much longer to complete. Bacterial growth is exponential, so getting started takes most of the time. My commons are probably in the 60F range, indoor, and their cycle is maintained. Bacteria are very hardy and relatively hard to kill.

tempgrowth.jpg

My tank water is 65 degrees f. This question was mostly hypothetical being that I cycled a 60g tank in the summer, water was in the mid 70's and the tank cycled.... seems like 2-3 weeks. When I cycled the 29g it was winter and the cycle took a couple of months, seemed like forvever but at the time I didn't know what the t'heck was taking it so long. Now I do. So the information you gave me is making sense. (Don't know if the tank size makes a difference either?) Thank you so much for your response DnAlex and everyone. Thank you very much TorontoBoy for the great link. You all are awesome!

I have another question, don't know if this is for another topic or not.

IF I WERE TO ADD AN ADDITIONAL FILTER TO AN ALREADY CYCLED TANK, will that tank have a spike? I want to add a smaller back-up filter to the 29g. The 29g has a Fluval C4. I have a Fluval C2 that I am considering putting inside for additional circulation and back-up. I know there are better filters but I don't want to spend the money and as I said I already have this filter. Thanks again.