Raised Scale... bacterial infection?

Elisa

Hey guys, so this morning when I went to do Mochi's waterchange I noticed that he has a raised scale on his left side :(
He is otherwise acting normal, being his chipper and adorable self and begging for food :rolleyes:

I proceded with my 80% waterchange and put him in a bowl temporarily, to snap some pics for you guys...
I'm really scared/worried.... I love this little guy and would be devastated if anything happened to him :cry

here are the best pics i could get....he's such a wiggler !!
.....and apparently photobucket is down :wall
will post them when it comes back up.

i'm freaking out :scared

• * Ammonia Level(0ppm)
    • * Nitrite Level(0ppm)
    • * Nitrate level(2ppm)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap0ppm)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap0ppm)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap0ppm)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (7)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (7)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
      • * Water temperature? 74 degrees F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons, 4 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? marineland 200 gph
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 80% every 5-6 days
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today, 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? one oranda, 1.2 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? saki hikari and algae wafers, 2 meals a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? just the one
  • * Any medications added to the tank? recently finished my 4th round of prazi
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi-pro and salt treatments for quarantine period
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
    what appears to be a raised/dislodged scale on his right side...
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
    he is acting healthy and happy and begging for food.

3114raisedscale-1.jpg
**edit: i circled where the raised scale is in this one as it didn't seem to photograph well :(

...i am kicking myself for not ordering metromeds when i first got mochi, like alex told me to :(

Edited by Elisa

Hi Elisa! I'm sore Mochi isn't feeling well :hug

Does it look red? Sometimes fish just lose scales. Is there anything he could have scraped himself on in the tank?

It looks like a scale about to fall of to me. I don't know if I've ever seen just 1 raised scale that lead to dropsy. Keep an eye on it and see if any of the scales adjacent to it start to lift. :hug

And I love your nails. :teehee.

Does it look red? Sometimes fish just lose scales. Is there anything he could have scraped himself on in the tank?

thanks mikey !

And I haven't noticed any redness, it just kindof looks like the scale is falling off?

I think maybe he rubbed it against the filter intake?

The fake plant I have in the tank is really soft so I don't think it was that...

Thank you so much for responding, I feel a hundred times better about this lol

My first thought I was dropsy (although it doesn't look like drospy) and I was about to start crying :no:

I really hope it's just that he bumped it on something !

It looks like a scale about to fall of to me. I don't know if I've ever seen just 1 raised scale that lead to dropsy. Keep an eye on it and see if any of the scales adjacent to it start to lift. :hug

And I love your nails. :teehee.

Thanks Lisa !

And I'll be keeping a close eye on him :heart

----I will keep you guys updated !

and thankyou, they're actually minnie mouse themed :rofl

Aww, he is so cute :wub: I hope it is nothing serious. My guys have only fresh plants in their tank yet from time to time one of them would have a massing scale or a scale that is just about to fall off :)

thanks mikey !

And I haven't noticed any redness, it just kindof looks like the scale is falling off?

I think maybe he rubbed it against the filter intake?

The fake plant I have in the tank is really soft so I don't think it was that...

Thank you so much for responding, I feel a hundred times better about this lol

My first thought I was dropsy (although it doesn't look like drospy) and I was about to start crying :no:

I really hope it's just that he bumped it on something !

Great!! :) just clean water should fix him up. :) like Lisa said, I've never seen just one scale raised either. :teehee

Great!! :) just clean water should fix him up. :) like Lisa said, I've never seen just one scale raised either. :teehee

Thanks Mikey :D

Just got home a while ago and went to check on him, the scale is still hanging on and looking weird (no different than before).

But he is bopping around the tank, searching for tidbits in his substrate- so things are looking good so far :thumb:

Will be sure to order some medi-gold or metro meds from goldfishconnection just to make sure i have it in the future....

Thank you all so much for the speedy responses, you've really helped to put my mind at ease :)):heart

I will be sure to update if there are any changes, or any more 'raised scales'...

Edited by Elisa

Will be sure to order some medi-gold or metro meds from goldfishconnection just to make sure i have it in the future....

You will sleep better at night knowing that you have them at hand. At least I do :P

With you holding little Mochi in your hand that really puts his little size into perspective. He's so adorably little and cute.

I had a scale that was raised on one of my fish back in the beginning of November last year and it hung on for several days before falling off. It did look kind of weird like you had said. I couldn't wait for that thing to fall. :) I made sure afterwards that it wasn't any kind of sore once it did fall off. You should be fine though. Just wanted to share what I experienced.

If you're ordering one or the other I'd go with MMs. :)

thanks for the tip lisa !

i havn't ordered it yet, i was actually just wondering what the difference between the two is...

as they are both the same price lol