Growth on Angelfish's mouth

I can't believe I was just about to finish this post when somehow I "deleted" it all and now I have to do it again D: D: WTH

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level (tank):0
    • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level (Tank) below 5 on average
    • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
    • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
    • Tank information:Affected fish information:
      • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): api drops
      • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH) TWO Marineland Penguin 150s, meaning 300gph HOB filtration total
      • * Additives and conditioners: Prime. Seachem Flourish & Potassium weekly at half dose. Liquid carbon once or twice weekly (vs recommended daily dosing)
      • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): heater, 81F
      • * Last water change date: 1.5 hours ago
      • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 20 gallons tall tank
      • * Fish in the tank (species and number): 1 medium size angelfish, 1 clown pleco, 2 peppered corydoras, 10 tetras (at average 1.25" body length)
      • *What is your water change schedule? Like how much and how often? Every 4-7 days 75%
      • * Any new fish added into the tank: not since the pleco way over half a year ago
      • -If Yes: Were they quarantined? nope, due to most reliable LFS I ever knew. May have been a mistake though?
      • -If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added): n/a
      • * List prior health issues in tank: These fish used to live in a 55g when there were more fish, WAY over 1.5 years ago, long before the un-qt pleco. Soon after aquiring the last two angels in a QT tank (probably didn't disinfect shared equipment enough) day there was a columnaris outbreak to which five of the six angels succumbed, with Cid being the only survivor, only due to the very harsh treatments I put him through when everything else failed.
      • * Medications previously added to the tank:
      • * Medications on hand:
    • * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: A mix of Omega One sinking goldfish pellets, Omega One veggie rounds, Super Green, Hikari micro pellets, frozen foods, fresh veggies for pleco and corys.
    • * Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc: nope
    • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: weird growth on lower lip
    • * Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: main tank
    • * Current medications being used on affected fish: salt at 0.1%
    • * Previous medications used to treat affected fish: see above
    • * If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken: see above
    • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video. see below

I first noticed this two days ago after a water change. Cid had some excess growth hanging off the right side of his lip, sort of resembling a skin tag.

I added salt at 0.1% immediately.

The second day (yesterday), it was twice in length with the end looking sort of like a tear drop. Not "larger" but simply longer, dangling off his face more, with the end being a little bit thicker.

Today it seems like part of it fell off or shrunk over night or in the morning, and he almost looks like what he looked like on the first day I noticed the growth.

Cid does not appear to be bothered by it at all. He acts 100% normal; begs for food and is a butthole to some of the smaller fish.

First two pics are from first noticing, third pic is from today.

100_8440_zps8c23c851.jpg

100_8438_zps9f6ce657.jpg

100_8464_zpsbf0115c0.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of this. It is darker/redder than his skin/scales, but causes no surrounding redness. In fact, it almost would look harmless if it wasn't growing so fast.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

:hug That does resemble some sort of a skin tag. That's good that he's eating and acting normal. I hope you and the mod(s) get a dx and treatment going and that it will disappear completely. Maybe just clean daily water changes and keep an eye on it will be the only treatment for your fish. I saw that you did a w/c not too long ago. I hope he will be okay.

:hug That does resemble some sort of a skin tag. That's good that he's eating and acting normal. I hope you and the mod(s) get a dx and treatment going and that it will disappear completely. Maybe just clean daily water changes and keep an eye on it will be the only treatment for your fish. I saw that you did a w/c not too long ago. I hope he will be okay.

Thank you, Dear :)

I don't think it's anything treatable or particularly harmful.

Thanks.

I think so too. Although it grows really fast, it seems to have fallen off twice since it first started. As of today, the lip is much flatter gain, and slightly pale looking; kind of like it is healing.

I just always wonder what exactly these mysterious things are, and what causes them. I checked both the filters on that 20g and they both were in pretty good shape. A few small pieces of plant material was stuck in the media, but overall it looked pretty good. The tank is also bare bottom, even though it has plants. The plants are almost all anubias either attached to small rocks or the piece of driftwood. There is only one "potted" plant in there, a crypt in a little glass container with substrate.

So it's not like there is/was a lot of organic material floating around in the tank, and even IF, I don't know how that would cause excess growth on his lip :huh:

Oh, I DID add a stocking of carbon to one of the filters a couple days ago though, approximately 1/6 cup, for a completely unrelated reason - not sure if that is coincidence, although I honestly really think it is.