Sign in to follow this  
chicotyson99

Tank size

Hello all! Quick question , i was just wondering how many litres would i need to house 3 fancy goldfish , around the 2 1/2 size so pretty small? Thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hi Tyson! You have to plan for their future growth. A 200 litre tank would be a minimum size allowing for future growth.

Thank you! Would a 150 litre work ? It wouldnt be a permanent home though.

I would at least move up to the 180 - like a Juwel Rio. It's all a balance. A smaller tank requires more frequent water changes, more filtration and gives you a small margin for error. At 180, you are still battling the odds with full grown fish.

Well I would recommend you just go ahead and get a tank that will be big enough for them when they're full grown. It's cheaper in the long run and you won't have to worry about upgrading in the future!

For three fancy goldfish, we would recommend a tank around 45-55 gallons. Which equates to somewhere around 190-210 liters. Hope that helps! :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Whatever 55 gallons equals would be my minimum suggestion.

Go ahead and plan for the future of your fish now, because you never know how your circumstances may change.

The rule of thumb is: Twenty gallons for the first fish and each additional fish needs at least 15 gallons more. So, with your three fish that adds up to 50 gallons. Some fish can out grow this recommendation though but this is a good start.

I know a 40 gallon breeder tank is actually around 45 gallons and I would shoot for a 45-60 gallon

Hello all! Quick question , i was just wondering how many litres would i need to house 3 fancy goldfish , around the 2 1/2 size so pretty small? Thanks!

And what do you plan to do with them six months later, when they are 5 inches long or more?

As Susanne said, you have to plan with adult sizes in mind, or else you are going to be terribly overstocked and potentially harming your fish in a very short amount of time.

The quick answer is 200-240L for the three of them. :)

As you may have gathered from everyone's responses, the more water per fish the better!

My :twocents is that understocking is awesome! :nana