HELP URGENT

Sunshine

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank): 0ppm (between 0 and 0.25, looks closer to 0)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank): 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank): 20ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Kit Drops
      • * Water temperature? 77*F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40g, about a year and a half
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval Canister 205
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 50-75%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 Goldfish, only about 2-4cm each
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and Aqueon Conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day, Repashy Soilent green as a staple.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi (about 6 months ago, 2 weeks), Salt treatment for Ich (about a month and a half ago, 1 week)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He is floating listlessly at the top of the tank, and then slowly sinks to the bottom. He was perfectly fine last night. No other fish show any symptoms of anything.

I don't know if a video would be of much help (I also do not know how to upload one). He has completely stopped floating and now he is laying on his side on the bottom gasping. No raised scales or any signs of anything I'm familiar with.

Sunshine (love that name/handle!), Can you post a video of your floaty/sinky fish? That would help the moderators in giving you guidance.

How long have you had all 4 goldfish in your 40 gallon tank? The experience of the koko community is that 15-20 gallons per fancy goldfish is best for optimal health. So you're at a population that requires more monitoring/work or consideration for getting a larger tank in order to maintain an environment that is best for goldfish.

Also, your canister filter is rated for 180 gph. Goldfish (because they poop a lot more than tropical fish) require about 10x the filteration of the size of tank (less when using canister filters). For 40 gallons, the gph of the combined filters should be 400 (a bit less when using canister filters). While your canister filter indicates it is good for a 40 gallon tank they are most likely referring to tropical fish.

Please don't take my last couple of paragraphs as trying to berate you in any way. I'm just providing you information on how to keep your babies happy and healthy and you working less.

Now back to the business of getting your fish healthy... :)

Edit: Posted around the same time as Lisa (fantail1).

Edited by LisaCGold

To upload video to this website just upload your video to YouTube and then post the link here. A video would be tons of help in assessing the state of the goldfish. :hug I hope your fish is well again soon!

I'm curious about the outbreak of Ick that you mentioned above in an established tank of a year and a half. Can you elaborate on your suspicions for the cause as well as more about the treatment you administered (was it 0.3% salt, etc.) One week is about half the recommended time for a salt treatment for Ick.

Also, how long have all 4 fish been in the tank? Were there any new plants, snails, decorations added?

Edited by jmetzger72