"They're just Goldfish!"

greenorchid

Hmmm...tell those people who are spending $400-$600/fish (or sometimes just mere $100-$300/fish) that this is not a serious hobby for them.

As you all know, keeping goldfish is really easy to say, and not so easy to do. The next time one of these so-called serious aquarists says something deratory about goldfish, challenge them to keep one for 10 years. :)

Really easy, right?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I found all of you* :goldfish:

Don't listen to those that give you negative opinions.

There are better ways to use your time...like enjoying your beautiful goldfish.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

I agree…most people aren't interested in goldfish…people that don't know any better. :teehee But, in a way I like this because it's like rooting for the underdog!

I've never had anyone say anything negative. I've always kept weird hobbies, so people just looked at goldfish as a form of normalcy. At the end of the day why care what anyone says? We're fickle when it comes to taste, people dislike and hate all sorts of things.

We as a group simply aren't well respected. End of story.

That's an extreme statement to make.

Well I seem to constantly justify what I'm doing to my flatmates. Constantly have the feeling that they tgi k I'm overdoing it. Maybe I am lol My boyfriend said if you go to that much effort for a pair of goldfish what will you be like when we have children. Fair point I guess :P

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

I do regularly get weird looks when I tell people that I keep goldfish, since they probably assume I have a couple gallon bowls sit in my room with a hand full of tiny fish in it.

Kind of funny lol

The only thing that actually bugs me is that repeatedly some of my family members feel the need to tell me that I should rather keep a "shark" or something else "big and cool" in those big tanks. Well, I'm sorry that my 10+ inch goldfish is not big and cool enough for you. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm sorry that my 10+ inch goldfish is not big and cool enough for you. :rolleyes:

Tell them to stick their (clean) hands in and let it bite them. I think it scares people more when they realize the fish can indeed fit their finger in its mouth. :lol

-on tapatalk-

• Supporter

Well I seem to constantly justify what I'm doing to my flatmates. Constantly have the feeling that they tgi k I'm overdoing it. Maybe I am lol My boyfriend said if you go to that much effort for a pair of goldfish what will you be like when we have children. Fair point I guess :P

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

I think it's a good thing. It shows how much you care, and that you are willing to do things well, which can be rare these days!

Last week I had a friend tell me that they wanted to get a fish for their son, and oh....maybe something easy...like a goldfish! I quickly shattered that illusion as I told her everything I've done for these fish. The look on her face was priceless. She had been thinking of several comets in a ten gallon tank.

I think they are going to get a betta, and really hope it will be going into a real tank with a filter, but I'm not sure, sometimes people just don't listen.

What surprises me as I read through the forum is that there are people who are experienced and seem to be doing everything right, and yet have still had problems with their fish. I guess things are never perfect.

My family does give me weird looks when ever i talk about my tank. I usually respond with, "I don't know many bright flashy freshwater fish that don't need heaters" and that usually gets them to leave me alone. My mom wanted me to get two koi when i first got my tank. Something about eating it when they gets too big. O.o But i told her no.

What surprises me as I read through the forum is that there are people who are experienced and seem to be doing everything right, and yet have still had problems with their fish. I guess things are never perfect.

It's a bit like the health conscious fitness addict who ends up with terminal cancer. There are so many unknowns, the best we can do is provide a healthy stable environment and hope for the best. :)

When I was 13 years old I read an article in National Geographic about goldfish and I've been fascinated with them ever since. Whenever it comes up, I tell people I keep goldfish because of their long history, interesting varieties, and that they are hardier than tropicals.

I have "turned" quite a few people by showing them my collection. I don't say what kind of fish they are, I just show my tanks. Eventually, EVERY person asks what kind of fish one is. I always say "fancy goldfish". Then they ask what kind another is, same response. People are genuinely shocked that all of my fish are goldfish, but look so different, big and beautiful:) Most think of commons in a bowl.

A girlfriend of mine came to visit me. She literally had tears in her eyes when she saw them. She fell in love and went home to start her own tank. She was a guppy breeder, so lots of aquarium experience. She said, by far, goldfish have been the most difficult yet rewarding fish to keep.

I've had people ask why I bother with big tanks for them...a lot. Then I get to give them "the speech" lol.

I o absolutely agree. You definitely get knocked down a few pegs when you announce what you keep. When I started out, I decided no goldfish at all. It was the only fish I was not interested in. Then I went to the fish store and saw my first goldfish, a telescope.

15 goldfish (and 7 tanks) later, I am now a believer. lol

If it's any consolation, in countries like China and Japan, Goldfish are highly revered and respected. They are a huge part of the culture and are immortalized in much of the art and literature. So, I guess it just depends on where you live :)

I love Miranda and Nishiki*

I have "turned" quite a few people by showing them my collection. I don't say what kind of fish they are, I just show my tanks. Eventually, EVERY person asks what kind of fish one is. I always say "fancy goldfish". Then they ask what kind another is, same response. People are genuinely shocked that all of my fish are goldfish, but look so different, big and beautiful:) Most think of commons in a bowl.

A girlfriend of mine came to visit me. She literally had tears in her eyes when she saw them. She fell in love and went home to start her own tank. She was a guppy breeder, so lots of aquarium experience. She said, by far, goldfish have been the most difficult yet rewarding fish to keep.

I've had people ask why I bother with big tanks for them...a lot. Then I get to give them "the speech" lol.

I o absolutely agree. You definitely get knocked down a few pegs when you announce what you keep. When I started out, I decided no goldfish at all. It was the only fish I was not interested in. Then I went to the fish store and saw my first goldfish, a telescope.

15 goldfish (and 7 tanks) later, I am now a believer. lol

7 tanks!!!! oh my goodness!....... so do you basically have seven 20 gallon tanks with 2 in each tank?

I hate that a lot of people think less of Goldfish, when I do talk about them people do seem to think of just a gold fish in a bowl so I usually show them photos of the different types and they are surprised! Then I ask them if they look like they can live in a bowl lol I love their reaction. :)

Heck I have goldies in my 90 gallon tank & tropicals (Platties) in my 29. To be honest......I like the Platties just fine.....but compared to my Goldies....well...they are kind of boring!!! :teehee

When people ask me what pets I have, I say I have a cat, chickens, and goldfish. They're all like OMG CHICKENS COOL! and OOU LEMME SEE A PICTURE OF YOUR CAT and they totally ignore my goldies. I tell them how I have them in a large tank and stuff and theyre like omg thats way too big and I'm just like umm no you dont understand D:

I go 20 gallons per fish. One tank has 15 gallons per fish. I have about 325 gallons of water in my house. Plus spares for rescues. It's a full time job. Lol. These guys are my occupational therapy of sorts. Head over heels in love:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year, when I was shopping around for orandas, I found a fancy pet store that had a huge fish section with some lovely pearl scales. I was seriously considering buying one when I saw a kid bring in a comet in a baggie that he won at his school carnival.

The kid told me he'd won 4 other comets that day and he was going to buy a 10-gallon tank for them. I explained to him and his father that comets need a lot of space to grow and thrive and that he should consider buying a larger tank and learning more about how to take care of these awesome pets.

His father turned to the store owner and asked if the 10-gallon tank would be okay. The owner told him that comets were just feeder fish and probably wouldn't live long anyways, so a 10-gallon tank would be just fine.

I was so upset, I just shook my head and walked out of the store. :no:

On a more positive note, there's a fish expert at my local PetSmart store, and she loves goldfish. I give that store all my fish business. :D

Sadly in many countries goldfish really arent held to the same standards of worth as their close cousins the koi are. I tend to start conversations about them in a way that frames it from a marine biology stand point, that way people don't automatically dismiss me. I've even converted a few people who saw goldfish as feeders or worthless into hard core goldie keepers. Normally all it takes is one look at the fish out back to get someone interested. You see small fish in the stores all the time but when you see a big 6+ inch ranchu swimming around people can't help but as questions. "what is that fish? It's so large! Is it even a goldfish? Why is it missing a fin?" My extended family and my neighbors love the pond and the fish, most of them couldn't keep a fish alive if their life depended on it so the whole thing seems sort of magical to them.

When people ask me what pets I have, I say I have a cat, chickens, and goldfish. They're all like OMG CHICKENS COOL! and OOU LEMME SEE A PICTURE OF YOUR CAT and they totally ignore my goldies. I tell them how I have them in a large tank and stuff and theyre like omg thats way too big and I'm just like umm no you dont understand D:

I get that a lot too.

"Why do you have such a large tank for two goldfish?"

Sadly in many countries goldfish really arent held to the same standards of worth as their close cousins the koi are. I tend to start conversations about them in a way that frames it from a marine biology stand point, that way people don't automatically dismiss me. I've even converted a few people who saw goldfish as feeders or worthless into hard core goldie keepers. Normally all it takes is one look at the fish out back to get someone interested. You see small fish in the stores all the time but when you see a big 6+ inch ranchu swimming around people can't help but as questions. "what is that fish? It's so large! Is it even a goldfish? Why is it missing a fin?" My extended family and my neighbors love the pond and the fish, most of them couldn't keep a fish alive if their life depended on it so the whole thing seems sort of magical to them.

Me too! People seem to notice bigger fish more and ask "woah is this fish real?? the pet store ones are too tiny" It makes me feel accomplished :D

a friend once walked into my home and said... wow, what fish are they?!?!? i said, these? these are goldfish... he said, wow, you should keep tropicals..

i said, no, you need to keep tropicals.. out of my kitchen, now!... shame, all the coffee comes from this room too.. goodbye :)

When I mentioned to friends that my API test kit had arrived, I got the bolded almost verbatim - You should do saltwater... as though that would make the time, work, etc more 'worth it'. :no:

Oh well, we're getting a ton of enjoyment from him. :P

Edited by SweetMamaKaty