When a moor is not a moor

goldiegeek

Black Moors are just a subset of the Telescope breed. The "Moor" name generally refers to the black coloration. There are also Panda Moors which are black and white. Black is the least stable of all of the colors and often changes with age (particularly the belly). So, your fish has really always been a Telescope :D

Edited by jmetzger72

Black Moors are just a subset of the Telescope breed. The "Moor" name generally refers to the black coloration. There are also Panda Moors which are black and white. Black is the least stable of all of the colors and often changes with age (particularly the belly). So, your fish has really always been a Telescope :D

Okay, now you are blowing my mind... :rofl

Gotta say, if she ends up orange with the black eyes and fins, I'll be one happy girl.

This is no excuse for lacking pics! :bat:

This is true! I'll see if I have one from a while ago while I'm at it:)

... a moor is not a moor anymore when they weren't a moor to start off. :)

When you brought the fish home it was already partially orange, so not a moor at all.

I kinda have given up on the "moor" term unless it is a solid velvety black adult fish and just say "Tele."

When you brought the fish home it was already partially orange, so not a moor at all.

I kinda have given up on the "moor" term unless it is a solid velvety black adult fish and just say "Tele."

This girl was full black as a baby.

That's how my little "Cho-Cho started. Now, she is totally orange except for a little spot on her tail.

I wish I had a pic of her when she was small. Full black. I got her as an adult. Love the orange and black look, for sure.

This girl was full black as a baby.

Most fish are, or they're bronze. The photos you showed from the day you brought her home suggest that she was changing like any other fry.

If you want to be stringent, a black moor is a specific line of goldfish developed in England, and is very stable for the black coloration. All others are telescopes, even when they are black.

These days in the US, we use moor to describe any black and panda tele.

If you want to be stringent, a black moor is a specific line of goldfish developed in England,

You might wanna check your facts on that.

In page 130 of Joseph Smartt's book, Goldfish Varieties and Genetics, the "moor" is a distinct class of goldfish, according to one British goldfish group, while all telescopes are considered moors by another...

This is where some people get the idea that a moor is a telescope, but a telescope is not necessarily a moor.