Taking the Plunge

koko

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I only just saw the new pictures! I love them!

Ill try and get some more for ya hun.... Everyone is so happy... Im glad I moved them :)

• 2 weeks later...

I love it, Koko!!! Where are the additional pics that you promised???

I have been debating getting the 50 gallon vs. the 70 gallon. Are you happy with the 70? Is the depth ok for the fish?

I would prefer the 50 over the 70. The reason is the surface area to volume ratio. That is one of the reasons that ponds are healthier than aquariums. However I would take this over either of them. The price is similar, the surface area to volume ratio is much better than other ~100 gallon tanks, and it looks very nice for a stock tank.

That is not to say the 70 doesn't work just fine. IMO, the 2 foot tall 100 gallon stock tanks -- Rubbermaid and those of similar shape -- are the least desirable, but I have two of them and the fish in them are big, healthy and vigorous. I'm just talking about what is ideal.

Edited by shakaho

• Admin

I love it, Koko!!! Where are the additional pics that you promised???

I have been debating getting the 50 gallon vs. the 70 gallon. Are you happy with the 70? Is the depth ok for the fish?

The goldfish are doing great.. As long as it doesnt drop to 40F :thud.. that didnt work great as it dropped suddenly and I didnt have heaters anymore... Killing my Male Guppies in there.... So I got two more heaters and well everyone is happy again.... Really happy.. Ill get a video :)

• Admin

I would prefer the 50 over the 70. The reason is the surface area to volume ratio. That is one of the reasons that ponds are healthier than aquariums. However I would take this over either of them. The price is similar, the surface area to volume ratio is much better than other ~100 gallon tanks, and it looks very nice for a stock tank.

That is not to say the 70 doesn't work just fine. IMO, the 2 foot tall 100 gallon stock tanks -- Rubbermaid and those of similar shape -- are the least desirable, but I have two of them and the fish in them are big, healthy and vigorous. I'm just talking about what is ideal.

I agree Hun... But there is a reason for my choice...

1. The size of it needed to be tall as there isnt much room on the deck for a longer one..

2. I also need it to be high to keep Justine from going into it :)

If I didnt have Justine then I would have gone long than high.. :)

Deeper would be better for MI (milberg73) winters if the fish will remain outside. Believe it or not, I unintentionally left 3 small, black feeder goldfish in a preformed pond all off the Winter previous to this past one. Yes, it was an easier winter than this past one, but all the fish lived and the pond was not buried nor did it have any sort of pump running. Of course I agree with shakahos reasoning for a more shallow pond if the fish will be brought in :)

• Admin

Deeper would be better for MI (milberg73) winters if the fish will remain outside. Believe it or not, I unintentionally left 3 small, black feeder goldfish in a preformed pond all off the Winter previous to this past one. Yes, it was an easier winter than this past one, but all the fish lived and the pond was not buried nor did it have any sort of pump running. Of course I agree with shakahos reasoning for a more shallow pond if the fish will be brought in :)

Im worried about my winters.. Though I am covered it does snow here every year :thud

Reason for my heaters :)

• Admin

Who is Milberg?!?! :rofl This will only be set up in the warmer months. The 110 is 4 inches shorter than the 70

your new member name :lol2

Im worried about my winters.. Though I am covered it does snow here every year :thud

Don't worry! between Shakahos expertise, my 2 Winters, and ChelseaM getting into ponds, I am sure we will all get through it. I think if I was in your situation I would start planning for an insulated frame and insulated top that covers about 90% of the tub. This would greatly help conserve heat and reduce heating costs. Just my 2 cents.

Who is Milberg?!?! :rofl This will only be set up in the warmer months. The 110 is 4 inches shorter than the 70

Oh goodness, autocorrect strikes again! I think it hurts me more than it helps! Sorry!

• Admin

Don't worry! between Shakahos expertise, my 2 Winters, and ChelseaM getting into ponds, I am sure we will all get through it. I think if I was in your situation I would start planning for an insulated frame and insulated top that covers about 90% of the tub. This would greatly help conserve heat and reduce heating costs. Just my 2 cents.

any photos of this?? would it block the veiw?

Oh goodness, autocorrect strikes again! I think it hurts me more than it helps! Sorry!

No worries! I just thought it was funny :D Autocorrect has quite the sense of humor sometimes.

Koko it would probably be a good idea to start reading about what temperature do you want to keep your pond during the winter? You may know this already but there is a term " Aeromonas Alley" which refers to water temps between 42 and 62. Between these temperatures, bad bacteria are more likely to overcome a fishes weakened immune system. Now that I think about it, I know this applies to koi but I'm nit sure about goldfish. Would make sense though.

any photos of this?? would it block the veiw?

Shakaho also happens to know vastly more about insulation than I do! And yes the cover on top would block a lot of the view however that is where most of your heat will be lost if not covered

• Admin

Koko it would probably be a good idea to start reading about what temperature do you want to keep your pond during the winter? You may know this already but there is a term " Aeromonas Alley" which refers to water temps between 42 and 62. Between these temperatures, bad bacteria are more likely to overcome a fishes weakened immune system. Now that I think about it, I know this applies to koi but I'm nit sure about goldfish. Would make sense though.

what about this stuff?

http://www.webbsonline.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=Aqua-MedZyme-Liquid&sid=62la3yh33q4l9n3pk81491568z325sag

what about this stuff?

http://www.webbsonline.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=Aqua-MedZyme-Liquid&sid=62la3yh33q4l9n3pk81491568z325sag

I am by no means an expert on that :) no clue!

• Admin

what about this stuff?

I am by no means an expert on that :) no clue!

:alex

:lol