Taking the Plunge

koko

I don't know.

It seems intimidating: building a pond, filter & pump, etc...

I guess it's second nature once you get the hang of it.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know.

It seems intimidating: building a pond, filter & pump, etc...

I guess it's second nature once you get the hang of it.

It's really just a matter of jumping in, only to find the water both warmer and shallower than you expected. :P

I've done just one pond, and pretty much the moment I set it up I stopped worrying about it.

... and you don't build the pumps, unless you're really hardcore. :D

Edited by Evening

The only thing that ever scared me when I started was building my first filter. It was a lot harder 4 years ago. Simple instructions on how to do it just didn't exist. I studied the builds on the Garden Ponds forum, all of which assumed you knew something about plumbing, and then had to figure out how to scale it down from a 55 gallon drum to my 10 gallon flowerpot. While uniseals existed at that time, hardly anyone was using them. They used shower drains for the filter outlet and dump valve -- along with huge gobs of sealant. Then you had to wait 24 hours for the sealant to cure before you could fill the container with water, find where it leaked, and put on more sealant wait another 24 hours, check again .... Quite different from the five minutes it takes to put in a uniseal and stick a pipe through it. When I asked for help I was told that all I had to do was read the threads -- all the information was there. I had printed out all of those threads, studied them, diagrammed the steps, took the diagrams and the printouts to HD and Lowes to try to find all the parts, and I had asked specific questions about specific steps. I was so ticked off that I figured out how to build the thing without their @#$% help.

I have remodeled that filter a couple of times since I built it and it is still going strong.

Here and now, all you have to do is post what you want to build and you will have someone to guide you through every little step and problem.

When I think about it, people who have aquariums are the ones who are scared to "build" a pond. They are expecting as many problems as they have had with their tanks. Those who don't, just go dig a hole and put a liner (flexible or preformed) in it, get a little pump with a fountain and a little box filter, throw in way too many feeders and usually do just fine.

Edited by shakaho

Wow Sharon, it is a shame that there wasn't proper help for you.
But, I guess it made you a better/more knowledgeable person.

It is fortunate that you all are here to share your experiences.

It makes things so much better.

You all take the intimidation factor out of trying something new.

I'm getting the itch to start up a pond.
Not 100% sure I can do it, but will do some research and take it from there.

I don't think I will be buying a filter again after making one of the ones Sharon showed me. Nor will I be keeping tanks other than the occasional quarantine tanks anymore. It's all indoor/outdoor ponds from here. They're so much easier and more appealing to me now. :heart

Mr. Hyde, start reading here.

Sharon, that is very informative, and doesn't sound too difficult at all.

I appreciate the link.

I do have a question about the matala filter pad.

Does it go above the bag(s) of biomedia, or below it.

I ask because you mentioned that it is there to hold the biomedia above the stool, yet the matala looks like it is sitting on top of the biomedia in the picture.

The Matala is under the biomedia. On top of the media, I have a basket, and I lined the basket with a thin, floppy, blue filter pad for the plant pots to sit on. In most of my filters I use Matala at the top as well as under the biomedia. If cut to a snug fit, it is a very stable support for the plant pots.

There are many other things you can use to support the biomedia and the plants. All you need is something rigid but very porous.Perhaps the most popular is eggcrate light diffuser panels.

c58570c2-ed74-4739-8b5d-acf50518dec9_300

I like the Matala because it is stronger and much easier to work with. But you can't get Matala at Home Depot.

So you place the Matala (or eggcrate light diffuser panels) on top and underneath the bio media.

This may be a silly question, but what role do the plants play?

I ask, because I'm not a big Plant-Guy.

I get that they help dampen any splashing noise in the pond from the filter, but can't that be replaced with just a basket full of decorative rocks?

Are the plants important?

The plants absorb the nitrate produced by the filter microbes. A well-filtered pond with plants in the filter typically has zero to a trace of nitrate. Plants absorb a lot of other things from the water, including heavy metals, organic compounds, phosphates. The ones in the pond provide shade and a feeling of safety for the fish.

• Admin

OK we got the pond filled up after a good rinse... also got the fount pump up with some media from the tank so I can seed the pond.... Now off to get the parts Sharon showed me for my bucket filter... :panana

OK we got the pond filled up after a good rinse... also got the fount pump up with some media from the tank so I can seed the pond.... Now off to get the parts Sharon showed me for my bucket filter... :panana

hooray! :carrot: lovely weather for it, isn't it? :hi

I don't think I will be buying a filter again after making one of the ones Sharon showed me. Nor will I be keeping tanks other than the occasional quarantine tanks anymore. It's all indoor/outdoor ponds from here. They're so much easier and more appealing to me now. :heart

i am so inspired by koko doing this pond. and admit… I WANNA POND TOOOO!!!! :cry

:P

at the moment it's not quite practical at my place… but now i'm actually much more interested and hopeful than i have been… because i could get you all rockstars to help me put one together. :D

(your indoor ponds are really beautiful chelsea. that's another idea… right? a way for me to slowly 'dip my toe in' as it were? ;)

ps: koko, did you do an indoor one first?

Edited by melusine