Taking the Plunge

koko

• Admin

Awe. You two are so cute from your above comments. Justine has some wonderful parents.

Can't wait to see your pond Koko. That's going to be awesome.

I had to laugh out loud when you made the comment about Justine needing more room. That's so true. Toddlers take up a lot of space for all their toys scattered all over. ha ha I remember all the toys Taylor had. Such good times.

Cant wait to start, Now the question is, what do I use to keep the out door cats and raccoons out of it ?

yeah I get most of her toys from the local Thrift store, like today :)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awe. You two are so cute from your above comments. Justine has some wonderful parents.

Can't wait to see your pond Koko. That's going to be awesome.

I had to laugh out loud when you made the comment about Justine needing more room. That's so true. Toddlers take up a lot of space for all their toys scattered all over. ha ha I remember all the toys Taylor had. Such good times.

Cant wait to start, Now the question is, what do I use to keep the out door cats and raccoons out of it ?

yeah I get most of her toys from the local Thrift store, like today :)

You can't wait to start. We can't wait to see. :)

I would like to suggest this tank instead. It's bigger, better looking, has a better surface area to volume ratio, and is cheaper.

The pump/filter is strictly for a fishless water garden, and is designed only to filter out crud that might clog the fountain. It claims 190 GPH, which means it probably pumps less than 100GPH. That turnover would be OK for your pond if you had a 5 gallon filter full of media. The the total filter media volume in the Pondmaster is one thin sponge.

Now is the time to learn how to build a filter! It's really easy. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98620-upgrading-the-instant-pond/

Here is a simple and very effective cover for a stock tank pond. It's just a 1x3 frame covered with plastic hardware cloth.

006.jpg

Edited by shakaho

• Admin

I would like to suggest this tank instead. It's bigger, better looking, has a better surface area to volume ratio, and is cheaper.

The pump/filter is strictly for a fishless water garden, and is designed only to filter out crud that might clog the fountain. It claims 190 GPH, which means it probably pumps less than 100GPH. That turnover would be OK for your pond if you had a 5 gallon filter full of media. The the total filter media volume in the Pondmaster is one thin sponge.

Now is the time to learn how to build a filter! It's really easy. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98620-upgrading-the-instant-pond/

Here is a simple and very effective cover for a stock tank pond. It's just a 1x3 frame covered with plastic hardware cloth.

006.jpg

I ready bought the tank and filter.... now the filter I new would just hold me over till I can make my own filter..... I was going to do the flower box kind, alittle later if i can....

That's OK. I would use a tote with a lid,

e72ca089-f368-4fc8-9455-d3823c3dff6c_400

instead of a bucket, and a lot more holes in the lid. You can toss your media from your tank into the tote to seed it.

A submerged filter is not as efficient as one beside the pond, and it is more work to clean, but it will take care of your fish just fine.

koko,may i suggest vinyl coated wire metal mesh.much sturdier than window screen.strong enough for a raccoon to stand on top of.have your handy-man make a frame for it and use big staples to fasten.lay it over the top.

• Admin

That's OK. I would use a tote with a lid,

e72ca089-f368-4fc8-9455-d3823c3dff6c_400

instead of a bucket, and a lot more holes in the lid. You can toss your media from your tank into the tote to seed it.

A submerged filter is not as efficient as one beside the pond, and it is more work to clean, but it will take care of your fish just fine.

well i figured its a little easier to do at first.....Justine in all :)

I bought pond netting for mine and I am going to make it like the one in the picture. Hope your pond set up goes easy. Wish I had the guts to leave my fish outside in the winter time. But I am to chicken. lol

Heck Hubby made me take it down cause we had one night that got to 24 and we have no fish or plants in it yet.

Edited by Hidr

• Admin

Why not bury it or half bury it so that it's deep enough to not freeze entirely and get below the frost line?

cause I got a 10 month old and dont want her to wonder into it... maybe later, plus i want it covered :)

-.- Why must you use logic? It does make sense though. Are your fish fancies or commons? I would love to get a pond but I feel like my chu wouldn't want the cold and my dad wouldn't want more fish.

Edited by BeginAgain

• Admin

-.- Why must you use logic? It does make sense though. Are your fish fancies or commons? I would love to get a pond but I feel like my chu wouldn't want the cold and my dad wouldn't want more fish.

yeah you need logic when having a baby :lol

one is a finned egg fish the other is a shunkin :)

That's gonna look nice set up. I just looked up finned egg fish and that must be so cool in a pond, I love how dorsal less fish look from above but so many have little stub tails that look best from the side.

yeah you need logic when having a baby :lol

one is a finned egg fish the other is a shunkin :)

You need more than logic with a baby :rofl

Good luck with the project. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

I always liked ponds.

Seems a bit advanced for me, so I will admire all the beautiful ones posted here instead.

Having had both tanks and a pond, the pond is far and away the less demanding option. The filter was a really simple build, and after that it runs just like a tank with smaller water changes and free lighting.

Yes. I started with goldfish in the pond. When I had to get a quarantine tank, I was totally baffled by the HOB filter. Ponds are so much simpler and easier to care for.

I love my pond (and am setting up another smaller seasonal pond this spring) my fish are happy and healthy and water quality is very easy to maintain in a 300gal vs any smaller tank. Even with this being one of the harshest winters on record in my are my fancies have proven to be bombproof with a bit of heating. The filter is getting a slight remodel this season as well. But with ponds bigger is always better.