Sign in to follow this  
sandybottom

need help please.

got the metro-meds today.thank you so much lisa.will send out a thank you card by friday.

Thanks for letting me know you got them. :D

How are things going? :idont

he is a little slower today.still looks good though.still watching him like a hawk.

he started bottom sitting this morning again.started him on the metro-meds.has anyone else using metro-med experienced their goldfish becoming floaty?he acts like he is drunk.he is still searching actively for food.he is active and has not been bottom sitting for the last 10 hours.he is flipping around and bumping into things.seems like his equilibrium is off. they are larger pellets than he has previously eaten.will soaking the mms take away their potency?

How many did you feed him? Do you have a scale or can you measure him?

seems that there is a discrepancy between my old and new test kit.my nutrafin test kit says that my-

ammo-0

nitrite-0

nitrate-5-10

ph 7.5

i went out and bought an api master test.results-

ammo-0

nitrite-0

nitrate-40

ph 7.5

as you can see,the difference in the nitrate test is quite large.i dosed the tank with prime 5x for tonight. i can not change the water without waking all of my kids.will get on that at 6 am.

as far as the mms,i have started him on 8 per feeding.3x daily. he is 4.5 in. will get new batteries for my digital scale in the morning. what is recommended feeding for mms?

Edited by sandybottom

exp dates are good on both.shake the reagent for no less then 3 min before test.re-tested and they say the same thing.

For the API nitrate test, you need to shake bottle #2 for 30 seconds before adding it then shake for 1 min once both bottle #1&2 are added. Wait 5 min. It's kind of confusing so make sure you're following their instructions to a T.

Nitrate at 40 until tomorrow is nothing to lose sleep over. :)

MMs need to be dosed at 1% body weight. Once you tell me thati will tell you how many pellets to feed.

Have you looked at him from above? Do his scales look like they are sticking out at all? Do you have Epsom in the tank at all or was that removed?

yes,followed directions to a t. will let you know weight tomorrow.he looks fine.no raised scales or discoloration.good appetite.just swimming a little wonkey. kinda weirded out at the major difference in nitrate tests.i have been using the nutrafin brand test kits for over 2 years now.i am sure it is not operator error.

Unfortunately, sometimes Metro-Meds can cause the fish to be floaty.

You know how sometimes antibiotics cause cause constipation/diarrhea? It's the same in fish. Either extreme can happen, and we can't predict.

Try a pea, please. :)

params are now-

ammo-0

nitrite-0

nitrate-10

ph-7.5

did not have any peas,so i gave him duckweed.decided to break the mms in half for feeding.franklin weighs 34g.so .34 grams of mms then.

my other oranda gets floaty after almost every feeding.should i put him on a round of mms also?he is 23g.

franklin is doing much better today after his 75% water change.the duckweed cleaned him out and he is no longer floaty.

how long after i feed him the mms,should i give him his duckweed?hour?half hour?

Edited by sandybottom

Without seeing the other fish, I can't make the MM suggestions. May be you can upload the video?

A normal course of MMs is 14 uninterrupted days. You can give him duckweed to help keep him regular, but keep in mind that we want the meds to be going through the system continuously. So, only enough duckweed to help, but not to make it a major meal. :)

he seems listless today.bottom sitting more.when i tap the glass,he is hungry and searches for food.then he goes back to the same spot and sits,leaning forward and resting his head on the sand..he has also taken up trying to scratch himself on the plants and sand.

How many days are we at in terms of MMs?

When was the last prazi, if he was ever treated? I think we may need to start this up now, too, especially because the MMs have been in the system long enough.

4 days of mms.never treated with prazi.i think the only prazi my lfs has is in general cure.

Do you have any locally owned pet stores around? Should have asked this before I sent the MMs. :teehee

the only locally owned store is for marine fish,not sure if they are still open. we have a petco and a pet expo.

Edited by sandybottom

Go ahead and dose in the GC, but please do a big WC before hand.

Hang in there!