Sign in to follow this  
LisaCGold

Cherry Shrimp

I'm adding some cherry shrimp to the 2.5 gallon refugium that hangs off the back of my goldfish tank. I currently have plants in that tank along with the heater. I'm getting the shrimp from substratesource.com. Do I need to QT the shrimp? If so, what QT process do you recommend?

I'm not sure about the qt procedure for shrimps. I'm sure you'll get an answer though.

I have snails and to qt them it's daily water changes for a week or two. (I've done 8 days)

I'm not sure about the qt procedure for shrimps. I'm sure you'll get an answer though.

I have snails and to qt them it's daily water changes for a week or two. (I've done 8 days)

Do you put anything in the water other than prime?

a couple weeks in qt is normal.be careful they are very sensitive to nitrates,because of this i would not keep them in the same water supply as goldfish.2.5 gallon will be over populated in 3-4 months.temp needs to be around 75f.

a couple weeks in qt is normal.be careful they are very sensitive to nitrates,because of this i would not keep them in the same water supply as goldfish.2.5 gallon will be over populated in 3-4 months.temp needs to be around 75f.

I should have mentioned this--I'm getting the cherry shrimp because I want to raise live food for my goldfish, so I don't think over population should be a problem unless they breed like crazy.

As for nitrates, I do water changes every 4-5 days and nitrates don't get higher than 5ppm. I think this is because I have lucky and lotus bamboo sucking out the nitrates. But I will keep a watch out for this. Thanks!

I can't imagine that the shrimp will carry much that will be a problem for goldfish, but I think it's prudent to just keep them in isolation for a couple of weeks to observe. After all, when your set up is running so well, it's easier just to be careful and avoid problems. :)

if you want them for a food source you may want to set up a 10 gallon.and start out with a decent #.breed them for 4 months,let the shrimplets grow out for a few months to put on some size.once you can sex them, cull mostly males for food.

Do you put anything in the water other than prime?

No. It was just prime. I had my snails in a 2 1/2 gallon glass tank with a heater that was set around 75 and I just did daily water changes and added my prime. I kept putting in a new piece of an algae tablet for them also. ha ha didn't want them to get hungry.

I have them in with my guppies and that tank is LOADED with plants, a ton of java that covers about half of it, some bamboo and vallisneria. I haven't had a problem with ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate and they are breeding pretty well. I would feed the shrimp to the goldies if I didn't like shrimp so stinking much :no: I give them normal ramshorns and pond snails but I'm biased because I have albino ramshorns in with the guppies as well. Buy off aquabid.com, so much cheaper. And don't get the bright reds go for low quality.

same here,just can not bring myself to feed them to the goldies. gonna wait until spring and trade them for plants from other forum members.i have some nice deep red sakuras.

I would love to take them in trade except I only need maybe 2 boys and that's pushing it. I had purchase 15 berried girls and 1 male and some of the girls dropped and have saddles but the male hasn't made a recent appearance and I'm hoping he wasn't the only one that has died :o Some of the babies will grow out though and I'm pretty certain they won't all be girls.

you should not have to worry about that one.you will be up to your eyeballs in males in no time.he probably died from exhaustion.15 girlfriends is a lot to handle.i started with 4 females and 2 males and now i have countless shrimplets.

Edited by sandybottom

Reading your posts makes me excited about my shrimp. I should be getting them soon. When I qt the shrimp, how often/much should I feed them? I have spirulina flakes that I think would work.

Edited by LisaCGold

every 2-3 days.once they are in a tank,especially if there are plants,then every 3-4.less if you have algae.

every 2-3 days.once they are in a tank,especially if there are plants,then every 3-4.less if you have algae.

Thanks!

For my shrimp and snails I crushed up a couple algae wafers and a teeny bit of NLS and spirulina flakes and made it the bits different sizes and I feed that 2-3 times a week in their main corner but the adults gather to where the guppies eat to get leftovers. The babies feed mostly on the java moss and they benefit most from the mix.

I'll put some java moss in the qt tank for the shrimp to munch on and hang out in. I have lots in my goldfish tank that has brown algae on the old growth.

You could give them a start up and after there is enough cover and the population is stable, you could put them into the tank and they should be able to survive but give them a little pvc tunnel in the java to give them a nice little hidey hole.

You could give them a start up and after there is enough cover and the population is stable, you could put them into the tank and they should be able to survive but give them a little pvc tunnel in the java to give them a nice little hidey hole.

I thought about having the shrimp in the goldfish tank but I think it would be a stressful life for them, even with hidey holes ( :) ) and lots of java moss. I think one of my orandas (Jack) will terrorize them--he already turns things over looking for food. Yeah, even though I plan to breed the shrimp as live food for my orandas, I would like them to initially live in an environment without the stress of predators lurking around.

Makes sense. One of my bettas kills shrimp if he is given half a chance, another one of mine lives in the guppy and shrimp tank in a big breeder net and today a shrimp had climbed into it and was just hanging out on the bottom picking up food scraps. It all depends on the fish.

This has continued to be an interesting read. For those of you that posted for having lots of shrimp you should make a thread and show us your setup and shrimp. I'd like to see. I'd keep them as pets though. :)

This has continued to be an interesting read. For those of you that posted for having lots of shrimp you should make a thread and show us your setup and shrimp. I'd like to see. I'd keep them as pets though. :)

Great idea! I would love to see pics of shrimp homes!

Great idea! I would love to see pics of shrimp homes!

There are members here that have shrimp in with a betta tank and I think community tank but I've never seen a setup with just lots and lots of betta's. That would be neat to see a video with them hopefully moving around. You definitely need to post yours Lisagold when you have yours up and completed.

wish i had a video camera.i have some pics.they are right after i chopped my plants though.and i just tossed a bunch of plants in my shrimp tank tonight.i feel like i would be showing you a messy bedroom.give me a few days and i will post some of my tank.

Yes I'd love to see pics of all these shrimp. Very interesting! :nana