Sign in to follow this  
katmad

New to tropical - open to suggestions!

Hi there

Well it's been a very long time since I last logged onto Kokos! I used to be a regular years ago! Hi to anyone who remembers me :)

Have kept Goldies for nearly 10 years now but have just lost my last one :(

So I'm left with a 30gal tank with a fully cycled filter which I'm keen to turn tropical for the first time ever!!! I've got a heater ready to go and the tank's got a few plants and driftwood. (But no gravel - do trops need a bit of gravel?)

I'm wondering where to start and looking for stocking suggestions please!

Ideally I'd like several pretty, bright coloured fish that are fairly easy for a new tropical keeper (but a seasoned Goldie keeper!)if possible.

What would you do??

Welcome to the world of tropicals :)

I'd defiantly suggest some kind of substrate if you're looking to have a community tank, fish like Corydoras and loaches like to forage and dig through it (plus it's very fun to watch) though if you're looking to just keep one species then it might not be crucial depending on the fish.

Have you seen any fish you like the look of so far? Guppies, mollies and tetras are on the easy side of fish keeping and come in a large range of bright colours so that might be a something to consider

Thanks. I was thinking of getting a few Corys so I'll get some gravel. I like Mollies and tetras. Would that be a good combo? Are there enough "levels" of fish there (top, middle and bottom of the tank) and do they all get along in the same temp??

What about some kind of algae eater?

Perhaps some otocinclus catfish?? Or are they too similar to Corys??

I've never had otocinclus before so I'm unsure of their behavior but the rest should make for a good combination, most tetras stay at midlevel and mollies will go where-ever they please though they are considered midlevel.

Ottos are hard to keep. Also they are all wild caught. For a clean up type fish I would go with a BN pleco or Rubberlip pleco. How about going with white cloud minnows. Easy to keep and once in your tank they color up nicely. Other then the neon's (which can also be hard to keep) I don't consider them very bright or colorful.

There are several kind of mollies you can go with and they breed easy so wouldnt need but a few to fill the tank up in time. I love the blue ones and I like the mickey mouse ones too. Black mollies well help with algae.

I would also add some substrate and maybe a lot more plants.

Don't add to many fish at one time. Start with five then wait a month between adding fish. Which well mean setting up a qt of some sort.

Good luck

Thanks!!

I'll stick with black and/or Micky mouse mollies, tetras or wcmm, and Corys in that case. Adding them slowly, with my qt tank up and running too, of course!!

I had thought of plecos, I had a bn with my Goldies a few years ago but she never touched the algae.

I'll definitely get some more plants and gravel.

Hidr, I remember you from when I was a regular in 2006/2007!! Lovely to see a familiar name :)

Could I get a/some female betta(s)???

Also, shrimp???

Sorry for all the questions!

I have a female betta in my tropical tank and I've had a couple others in the past. No problems at all with platys/mollys/plecos. It might depend on the individual fish though. I've never had shrimp but I would think you could get some.

Could I get a/some female betta(s)???

Sure just make sure they have lots of places to hide. I had five in my 30 gallon with lots of plants. They did very well.

Thanks!!

Any other ideas/suggestions that I may not have thought of??

Depending on what tropical fish, you don't necessarily need substrate.

How about a couple schools of different type tetras? They do not need substrate. A school of 10 each neons and glowlight tetras looks great together because they look so similar to each other, but with completely different color themes.

http://merifish.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/neon-tetra-1.jpg

http://www.aquaristclassified.org/wp-content/uploads/classipress/6-glowlight-tetras-1442746060.jpg

go sand if you want cories.they do better on it.i would rethink mollies.they prefer brackish,and without it are prone to health problems. i would stick with the smaller tetras or something like celestial pearl danios,smaller rasboras and pygmy cories.ideally find something that will work with your ph,gh and kh.it is nice to get suggestions on forums,however it is best to thoroughly research these suggestions before purchasing them.