Sign in to follow this  
James95

I have a confession to make...

The title says it all. Okay, here goes. I've been feeding my fish wardley fish food for the past few months. I know, someone needs to slap me upside the head.

I'm a major foodie. Growing up, both my mother and younger sister had severe gluten allergies among other health issues. My dad and I seem to be tolerant of gluten, but we abstain as well. We ate mostly paleo, which is a lot of whole, real foods and little to no dairy and grains. I still eat clean today! I know firsthand that food has the power to change circumstances for people.

I even cook for my dogs. Grass fed beef, string beans, and rice are typical fair. Apparently I'm doing something right-- our eldest boxer turns 14 in two months!

So, I got to thinking. Why don't I treat my fish the same way? They're pets too! And I do love them just as much as any other pet I feed well.

I want to start feeding them better and possibly making them gel food.

Has anyone seen a major improvement in goldfish growth, health, etc after switching from such a dull food to something more wholesome? I'm looking forward to making some positive changes for my fish! :)

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I can say that going from cheap flakes to higher quality pellets made a difference. When I added in more frozen foods like brine shrimp and bloodworms as treats helped more. Now that I do a mix of high quality pellets as staple with frozen food and a home made gel food as treats, my fish are the most active I have seen them. I personally believe that a good staple pellet with a variety of other foods makes a great overall diet.

You may have to try various brands to see what your fish do the best with. My current fave pellet is NLS Thera A, but they did great on Progold until my Annie had swimbladder type problems.

Have you tried some of the gel food recipes posted on this site?

If nothing else, it allows you to have a good base recipe and play with it a bit to make it your own.

Even switch it up for variety.

Also, making a mix of premade gels and adding other types of food is a cheap but effective way to make sure they're getting all they need. There are some issues with feeding strictly land plants (Alex needs to post his article so we can explain better!) that can be resolved with algae-based gels. Goldfish need a very specific set of nutrients that are provided through commercial food but more difficult to pinpoint with homemade recipes.

Personally, I recently started to mix newly-hatched baby brine shrimp in with Repashy's Super Green and it is already noticeable in how active my fish are. They seem to really enjoy how it tastes, and move even more quickly (if that is possible) to try and devour each other's portions.

Good for you! I would avoid flakes all together and try some good 1mm sinking pellets (like Omega One, New Life Spectrum or Hikari Lionhead), a good gel food like Repashy Solient Green or Super Green and frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp. This would cover your bases. It is also fun to feed and watch them eat different types of food.

The title says it all. Okay, here goes. I've been feeding my fish wardley fish food for the past few months. I know, someone needs to slap me upside the head.

I'm a major foodie. Growing up, both my mother and younger sister had severe gluten allergies among other health issues. My dad and I seem to be tolerant of gluten, but we abstain as well. We ate mostly paleo, which is a lot of whole, real foods and little to no dairy and grains. I still eat clean today! I know firsthand that food has the power to change circumstances for people.

I even cook for my dogs. Grass fed beef, string beans, and rice are typical fair. Apparently I'm doing something right-- our eldest boxer turns 14 in two months!

So, I got to thinking. Why don't I treat my fish the same way? They're pets too! And I do love them just as much as any other pet I feed well.

Has anyone seen a major improvement in goldfish growth, health, etc after switching from such a dull food to something more wholesome? I'm looking forward to making some positive changes for my fish! :)

Off subject sorry! Do you only feed your dogs beef for meat? How much rice to meat ratio?

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try NLS pellets and probably experiment with making gel food this weekend :)

Off subject sorry! Do you only feed your dogs beef for meat? How much rice to meat ratio?

I feed them 5oz of shredded free range chicken or grass fed grass finished beef (grilled). The brown rice is usually about a cup after it's been cooked. I vary the vegetables too. They get fed twice a day! :)

My older boxer had gastrointestinal issues (lots of TERRIBLE gas, lethargic, constant loose stool) and the vet recommended a food switch which has solved all his issues. Seems to be working well!

I feed them 5oz of shredded free range chicken or grass fed grass finished beef (grilled). The brown rice is usually about a cup after it's been cooked. I vary the vegetables too. They get fed twice a day! :)

My older boxer had gastrointestinal issues (lots of TERRIBLE gas, lethargic, constant loose stool) and the vet recommended a food switch which has solved all his issues. Seems to be working well!

Doesn't the meat get expensive? My dogs eat turkey bc of skin issues and grain free so they get potato. Do you put the veggies in raw?

It does! I actually prefer to not even add it up at the end of the month, it would be too painful. But at the same time I'm used to "human food" costing a bit more as well. So it's all quite relative, Lol.

But in reality, specialized healthful grain free dog food would probably cost me almost as much.

I usually blanch the veggies! Raw always seems too tough to chew. Plus, they're a little bit softer for our older guy to chew. He has as lots of dental issues.

You should try substituting sweet potato for the regular potato! It might add some more variety and sweet potatoes are so much more nutritious ;)

James, I bought some agar agar tonight (Eden brand) to experiment with it. I use a Repashy soilent green-based home recipe that can be found in the goldfish food section of this site. I did a some research first, and change the mix each time as I learn more. Have fun with it, you'll learn lots about goldfish nutrition.

Edited by mysterygirl

It does! I actually prefer to not even add it up at the end of the month, it would be too painful. But at the same time I'm used to "human food" costing a bit more as well. So it's all quite relative, Lol.

But in reality, specialized healthful grain free dog food would probably cost me almost as much.

I usually blanch the veggies! Raw always seems too tough to chew. Plus, they're a little bit softer for our older guy to chew. He has as lots of dental issues.

You should try substituting sweet potato for the regular potato! It might add some more variety and sweet potatoes are so much more nutritious ;)

Thanks!

My fish got visibly more healthy and vibrant when I found Koko's and switched to higher quality food - brighter colours, quicker growth, more active, more responsive. So it makes a big difference!