Apple Snails!

BronwynH

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks both of you!

So far I can report that the pink one is the total goof ball. It gave me a heck of a hard time when I changed the water this morning. I had put them all in a tupperware during the change and he refused to let go to go back in the bowl. I poked him, moved him gently side to side, nothing. Would not budge. Eventually I just had to dump the old water out of the tupperware and dump it in the bowl too! He/she also picks up any food he eats cradling it with the front of it's foot.

The purple one seems exclusively interested in sitting on things: the little pebbles, the fake plants or if it can be another snail so much the better.

The blue one seems to be the most active.

The ivory one is the best at finding food and is usually out and about somewhere.

And the brown one, well I may just wind up calling him/her 'the Dude' as he just abides.

I threw some bits of cooked carrot in today, but so far no takers. I'm not surprised as the one in my 20g doesn't touch them until they've been in the tank for 24 hours. So for today's meal I threw in half a dozen frozen blood worms as that's what the goldfish got for dinner. I didn't actually see any get eaten, but they're not there now.

I have also seen some chowing down on the cuttlebone fragment I have in there.

The ivory snail and the pink snail seem to have small air bubbles in their shell (you can see the bubble right through the shell). I first noticed this when I took them out of the bag from the pet store. It doesn't seem to bother the ivory one, but the pink one lists a little to the side. I figure it will work itself out in time.

So overall after 24hrs they seem to be doing well.

Just one question for the pros. Given the bioload of apple snails should I maybe do a 100% WC 2x/day during QT? They're pretty tiny, but it is a 1g bowl. Even if I do two changes per day I'll still be saving chemicals over the 10g tank. Plus wouldn't it make the QT twice as effective? Any opinions or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Depends on what you have time for. I think that you are basically QTing in order to eliminate the possibility of anything hitching a ride in the water in their shells or clinging to their shells, waiting for a fishy host. I'm not sure changing the water more often speeds up the death rate of disease waiting for a host.

Personally, I would change it once a day for 2 weeks and heave them in the tank.

Depends on what you have time for. I think that you are basically QTing in order to eliminate the possibility of anything hitching a ride in the water in their shells or clinging to their shells, waiting for a fishy host. I'm not sure changing the water more often speeds up the death rate of disease waiting for a host.

Personally, I would change it once a day for 2 weeks and heave them in the tank.

Good point - thank you!

• Supporter

Sorry ive not replied. Ive had problems with the site for some reason.

You got good info there :)

I just wanted to add you dont need to worry about the air its quite normal. They will take in air and use it for both O2 and a swim bladder of sorts. Sometimes you may even see one that seems stuck at the surface floating but its not. When its ready it will release the air and sink. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sorry ive not replied. Ive had problems with the site for some reason.

You got good info there :)

I just wanted to add you dont need to worry about the air its quite normal. They will take in air and use it for both O2 and a swim bladder of sorts. Sometimes you may even see one that seems stuck at the surface floating but its not. When its ready it will release the air and sink. :)

I didn't think it would be a problem, but thanks for the reassurance. :)

So I spent a little time thinking about names today. The only snail whose sex I know is the male golden in the 20g, the rest are guesses based on shell curvature (thanks Daniel E.!). Actually I did see a male appendage while watching the snails yesterday, but I've already forgotten which one it was. Oops.

Without further ado here are my thoughts thus far.

Gold guy: Jaques

Pink: Hapi (if m.), Isis (if f.)

Purple: Percival (Sir. Edmund Hillary's middle name). I thought about Tenzing Norgay, but rejected it as a little too frou frou for a snail.

Brown: Hathor

Blue: Tethys

Ivory: Marcel or Pascal (if m.), Isis (if f.)

Too cute! I haven't named my snails - because I am sticking to the fiction that they belong to my older son. Your white guy should be Heimdal, in my opinion.

Hmm. I may have to consider that one, especially since my mother is Gudrun and my great aunt was Brunhilde - other important Norse/Germanic figures.

Oddly enough I've met a few other Gudrun's here in Canada. One was a woman a few years older than my mother. She was Spanish born to German. The other a girl a few years younger than myself (I had just turned 20 at the time) who came from a small town here in Canada and had no apparent German connections. There were a couple other Gudruns, but they were in passing (customer service reps etc.) and I never got to know them. I've never met another Brunhilde. I think it must have gone out of fashion.

My son's choir teacher is Brynhilde- and she is in her 30s. There is always a discussion here between giving children Nordic or international names. Some really pretty names like Tale -Talla- or Ask just run into problems internationally.

My son's choir teacher is Brynhilde- and she is in her 30s. There is always a discussion here between giving children Nordic or international names. Some really pretty names like Tale -Talla- or Ask just run into problems internationally.

My Dad's Irish so my siblings all have Irish names (well, my sister's have actual Irish names, my brother just has anglo names that are frequently used in Ireland and sound very Irish in a first name middle name combo). My mother was sick of Irish names when I came along (I'm the 4th) and was thinking of some German and Russian names, but then chose a Welsh name!! Anyway, we four girls have all learned that people are just going to have problems with our names. No one knows how to pronounce them (mine's the only one spelled phoenetically and yet many people still have problems). We're used to hearing, "You've got a weird name." or "Why'd your parents give you such an ugly name?" Of course some people like it. We've all learned to appreciate the uniqueness of our names (over here anyway - they're all fairly common in Ireland) and of my two sisters who have had kids, one gave her children Irish names as well.

Personally, I think different cultures should celebrate the uniqueness of their names and not let them die out. At university I knew a number of people whose names meant other things in English, but once you get to know the person you don't even think about it any more. I think it's great when people celebrate their heritage and let the beauty of their names live on.

Come name mine! :o

Your children or your snails? lol

Nice snails. I had a mystery snail that would eat flakes and pellets off the surface. He was an orange on named Gary. I think I have a picture of him doing it some where.

Thanks!

If you find Gary's picture please share :D .

Love your snails, especially Percival! (there is me wearing a purpely striped jumper today)

They are fun to watch!

We used to have a Pomacea Canaliculata type - called him the Snailsebub.

I'm afraid it was a love/hate relationship. He ate everything down to the roots. So most of the time his tank was bare, and we used it as dump site for disposed plants from the other tank, and all sorts of veg: lettuce, pepper, cucumber, you name it he eats it.

He also held on to his food with his foot, then tore huge chunks out of it.

Thank you!

My more mature snail leaves my plants alone. I'm pretty sure he's a diffusa. I'm hoping, but am not sure, that the new ones are the same species. The shell angles look the same to me, but I'm not sure how subtle the differences are. We'll see what happens once they're in with live plants. :S

• Supporter

Thank you!

My more mature snail leaves my plants alone. I'm pretty sure he's a diffusa. I'm hoping, but am not sure, that the new ones are the same species. The shell angles look the same to me, but I'm not sure how subtle the differences are. We'll see what happens once they're in with live plants. :S

Yep they are diffusa :) and unless the plant is unhelthy or they are malnourished they should not eat any of your helthy plants. Now damaged or dieing plants are fair game lol.

• Supporter

90% of what you find in pet stores are diffusa. One exception I think are the ones listed as black mystery snails. If im not mistaken they are a different species (ill have to get back to you on which) and of course trapdoor snails are a different species altogether.

What a beautiful snail you have Daniel E.! He's very striking.

And thanks for all the info! I didn't trust that the stores I bought them from as they weren't the stores I normally buy live fish from (although I do occasionally buy supplies from one of them). I have occasionally found their employees less than knowledgeable and my main concern was an incorrectly labelled tank. So I spent some time memorizing the shell angles as listed on applesnail.net. i even cross reference the diagrams from the website with google image searches to try and get a sense of the range of variation (of course who knows if the google images were labelled correctly!)

All in all I got a little OCD about it, but in the end I just had to go with, "Well, I don't see anything that indicates they can't be diffusa, so I guess I'll take the risk."

I didn't know that about the 'black mystery snail'. Good thing I didn't take a liking to one of those as all our tanks are full of live plants and we plan on adding more!

How did you learn so much about apple snails? Just experience? The internet? You definitely seem to be the go to guy and I really appreciate you sharing all your knowledge. I've become increasingly interested in the snails since getting my first new guy almost two months ago now. It's strange, I wasn't that into them when we had our first apple snail 7-9 years ago. Now I can't seem to learn enough about them!