Apple Snails!

BronwynH

So, as some of you know I recently bought a golden apple snail after not having had any apple snails in about 7 years. I fell in love! Then silver8328 posted photos of her blue snail (a colour I hadn't seen before) and Flipper posted her snail thread and I couldn't take it anymore. I needed another apple/mystery snail, preferably blue, or wild type!

Today I discovered that one of our LFS carries apple snails in a variety of colours. I never shop there because it's in an area I never go to, but today I went there.

The snails they had were small, the biggest were about the size of a nickel, most were about dime size if not smaller. But the variety!! I couldn't choose. I brought home a blue (dark foot light shell), a pink (light foot, light shell with pinky brown stripes), a dark purple (dark foot, dark shell with dark purple stripes in several shades), a brown (I swear the foot is brown, with brown striped shell) and an ivory (light foot with white/clear shell that has a bit of grey in the whorl, but not over the top).

I watched the snails for a long time to make sure I got active healthy-looking individuals. It was so hard to choose because they were all beautiful and just scooting all over the tank. I'd find one I liked and look for another. By the time I found another the first would be all the way across the tank!

Since I am not familiar with the store, and since it's good policy anyway, I am QT'ing the little guys before figuring out which ones will go in which tank. Since they're so small I decided to use a 1g fish bowl I'd been using for decorative purposes (don't worry, nothing remotely chemical has been in there, plus I gave it a really good wash). I figured since I'll be doing daily 100% WC's I might as well save myself some water conditioner. I'm going to dig up an incandescent desk lamp for light and temperature maintenance (the apartment is kept at 70*F and even without heaters my goldfish tanks don't ever really drop below 68*F, but usually stay at 70* - I have to keep the balcony door open a long time for it to drop!). I have a thermometer in there now, so if the temp proves unstable I'm pretty sure I have a mini heater laying around somewhere. I'll just have to find it and double-check what it's rated for.

And now without further ado, here are the little guys. They're only just coming out of their shells as they were newly placed in the bowl. Unfortunately they're colours don't really pop on the camera. Once they're more active I'll get some better shots.

IMG_25251_zps003baa77.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thud:Jig: nana :happydance

That's so awesome! :D what a great find! I can't wait for picture spam :))

I'm getting some cool funky snails from Daniel E. Sometime soon! :nana

Congratulations! We have been bitten by the snail bug here. Our snails rotate between the goldfish tank and their own tank. They are fed in their own tank, but seem more active and grow more in the big tank.

These guys are just going to be in the bowl until QT is over. Then they're all going to the 20g to get larger. Once that happens three will go to the 55g. Everything I've read says they're fine with dojo loaches. In fact my first mystery snail lived with Spazz my old loach. Still I'd rather be safe than sorry and wait until they're definitely not snack size! And one might be going to my husband's tropical tank.

The other alternative that I've been contemplating is a snail only tank. So I'm keeping my eyes open in the classifieds.

My more mature snail, like yours, also gets pulled out of the goldie tank about once a week for a meal unto himself. That being said I do see him munching on food on a near daily basis, so I may be acting paranoid! I also throw in veggies I know the goldfish won't eat or don't like as much so that he has a pretty much undisputed meal every few days! I only throw in more of the 'yucky' veggies when he's finished with the previous helping. His out of tank meal consists of an algae pellet as he seems to have the least chance with these!

Oh no I helped create a monster! Just kidding :) Your snails are awesome and I can't wait to see more pics of them. The blues, purples and ivories are my favorite and I have always wanted one (at least one anyway) since I saw others have them back when I had my columbian ramshorns. You did what I didn't allow myself to do, look around the tank. I mean I looked but I didn't look, if you get what I mean. I didn't want to see anyone I may want but I wanted to see how the others were in the tank and their shell health. The one I got seemed to be the only one that was active and none of their shells were great but I had already picked him and he was coming home regardless.

I well be getting three from Daniel E Soon as the weather permits. I got the bug too. Lovely bunch and it great that they are small. Means they are still pretty young.

I'm still not sure mine get enough to eat. They don't exactly jump on food when presented with it.

Mine hardly jumps, but I keep an eye on him during the day. Usually when the two goldfish are busy chasing each other (they each wish the other was a girl!) he's down at the bottom finishing whatever they were too distracted to munch on.

Oh no I helped create a monster! Just kidding :) Your snails are awesome and I can't wait to see more pics of them. The blues, purples and ivories are my favorite and I have always wanted one (at least one anyway) since I saw others have them back when I had my columbian ramshorns. You did what I didn't allow myself to do, look around the tank. I mean I looked but I didn't look, if you get what I mean. I didn't want to see anyone I may want but I wanted to see how the others were in the tank and their shell health. The one I got seemed to be the only one that was active and none of their shells were great but I had already picked him and he was coming home regardless.

You did! You did create a monster! But I don't mind.

Yeah, definitely really looking at the tank was my mistake. I really wanted a blue, and that was what I went to buy. I thought down the road I might get a black from the big box store (where I got my other ones, but they only carry black, gold and ivory), but figured I would wait until I was next there. The lady on the phone had told me they had gold (well, she said yellow), brown and blue. When I saw all the other colours I lost it. All restraint out the window! Fortunately they all looked really good. Plus the owner showed my his filtration system, which was awesome, so that helped reassure me.

Nice! Everyone is getting snails, it must be snail season lol.

I guess so!

I well be getting three from Daniel E Soon as the weather permits. I got the bug too. Lovely bunch and it great that they are small. Means they are still pretty young.

I'd been chatting with DanielE. via a couple of the snail threads two nights ago and if I'd known he had some nearly ready to go I would have waited.

On the one hand I was a little disappointed at their size as they were $0.50 more than the much larger ones at the box store I bought my other snail at and I felt a little embittered about that. But then I realized that a) The colours were so much more varied, b) I would know they were young rather than just assuming, and c) I could look forward to watching them grow. I've only ever had nearly full grown snails before, but from what I've read they grow pretty rapidly early on. I'm curious to see what happens.

EDIT: I should add that I plan on trying to take some better pictures this evening (if they cooperate), so look out for those!

Edited by BronwynH

You picked out a lot of beautiful color's. You definitely need to post more photo's of them. Was your intention to only bring home one or two and you couldn't decide so you got all of these? ha ha The reason why I asked was because when I went to get nerite snails I came home with three instead of one. ha ha Then I went back about a month later and got another.

I love the pink, purple, and yellow one.

You picked out a lot of beautiful color's. You definitely need to post more photo's of them. Was your intention to only bring home one or two and you couldn't decide so you got all of these? ha ha The reason why I asked was because when I went to get nerite snails I came home with three instead of one. ha ha Then I went back about a month later and got another.

Thank you! And yes, that's exactly what happened. I was going to bring home one, at most two and then suddenly: 5!

Now that I have the photos up I have a question for those more knowledgeable about snails: Do I need to be concerned about the unevenness at the opening of the purple and pink snail's shells? I know cracks are bad and get worse over time, but those look more like rounded chips. Will those be ok or do I need to get some apple snail shell to repair the damage?

Your purple snail has gorgeous colors of purple. I don't know if I've ever seen a purple snail before with color's like this.

Still loving the pink one also.

Thank you! Yes, I didn't know they had these colours at the store (I've seen them online) so they had to come home! Just about the only colours I didn't see in the tank were jade and black.

Thank you! And yes, that's exactly what happened. I was going to bring home one, at most two and then suddenly: 5!

Now that I have the photos up I have a question for those more knowledgeable about snails: Do I need to be concerned about the unevenness at the opening of the purple and pink snail's shells? I know cracks are bad and get worse over time, but those look more like rounded chips. Will those be ok or do I need to get some apple snail shell to repair the damage?

This will be interesting to see what is said for I don't know the answer either. I didn't even notice it on the purple snail until you pointed it out.

I hope he'll be okay.

I have a bird cuttle bone in my snail tank to keep their shells strong. I don't think this will help for the chipped area's though. :(

Edited by 4prettyfish

• Supporter

It will be fine id not worry about it. Due to the way the shell grows that area will soon be repaired. As the snail ages you will see the spot move back on the shell.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This will be interesting to see what is said for I don't know the answer either. I didn't even notice it on the purple snail until you pointed it out.

I hope he'll be okay.

I have a bird cuttle bone in my snail tank to keep their shells strong. I don't think this will help for the chipped area's though. :(

I have cuttle bone in both the 20g with the gold coloured snail and in this little bowl. Perhaps you can see it behind the pink and purple snails?

It will be fine id not worry about it. Due to the way the shell grows that area will soon be repaired. As the snail ages you will see the spot move back on the shell.

Thank you! That's quite reassuring. I studied the whole tank for so long before choosing which ones I wanted (or rather not choosing and taking all the pretty ones) but I didn't notice the unevenness until I brought them home and held them in my hand for a closer inspection.

Here is a pic of one that had a bad spot but has been repaired and has new shell growth in front of it. zamegy9e.jpg

He is beautiful! Do you have a thread somewhere with pictures of your snails??

@ Sebastian Charles Hobbs: Thank you! I've been going through the 'snail photos' section quite a bit lately myself.

@yafashelli: Thank you. I am enjoying them quite a bit. I have moved their QT bowl to the sidetable near my chair in the living room. It provides many more viewing opportunities than the bathroom does!! Plus I think it might be a touch warmer.

Just here and there. I dont just have a thread for them. Lol

Pleaseeeeee make a snail thread, Daniel!!!

All of your photos and videos in one place would be quite the treat and might even create new snail fans. :heart

Just here and there. I dont just have a thread for them. Lol

Pleaseeeeee make a snail thread, Daniel!!!

All of your photos and videos in one place would be quite the treat and might even create new snail fans. :heart

See? I knew I couldn't be the only one :D