Why does my fantail do this after eating...?

andry6

Whenever I feed my fish (one fantail and one oranda) the fantail eats, then goes to the surface and "slurps" (on and off) for about a half hour or so then gets what we call a "floaty butt"!! His tail literally floats and he really struggles to keep himself from floating to the top of the tank. After a while he gives up fighting and just hangs out at the top of the tank. After a few hours he's back to normal and goes about his business as usual. He only does this after eating. (the oranda doesn't do this)

Just a side note: none of the food stays at the top. It all sinks to the bottom when feeding, so he's not getting air when he eats. It's after he finishes eating that he goes to the top and does the "slurping". I can hear him from the next room!!

Is this something I should be worried about or is this just a bad habit? :idont

I feed both pellets and flakes (both sink to the bottom of the tank when feeding) along with peas. And only the fantail does this. The oranda doesn't!

Oops! :blush: Sorry! Yes, he does it no matter what I feed him. He just started this recently. I'd say over the past two months. I figured that it was just a bad habit. He acts healthy otherwise. Very active, fins up...etc...

Yes, I did Prazi. Two rounds and it was several months ago. We've had them for 9 months, so I'd say about 6 months ago (or so) I Prazi'd...?

I'm sorry your fish is doing this. I'm not sure if your fish is sick or not and that's why the questions from Lisa, to rule out anything.

With that said though. I have a fish that does the same thing after eating and sometimes, just because. He'll gulp the air for awhile then stop and just swim away like nothing was going on. It drives me crazy for he has another one of my fish copying him now at times. My fish aren't floating though. I hear them in another room also. I'm now waiting for my third and newest fish since Oct. 31st to copy them now. My fish doing this I believe it's a terrible habit.

I hope your fish will be okay and that it's not a swim bladder problem.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I have a fish that also likes to make smacking noises at the surface of the water, although it's not necessarily after he eats and he doesn't get floaty-bum. (He was prazi'd in October). I just wanted to say I know how irritating the sound is - especially at night!

I have nothing to contribute as to the how's and why's, but I hope you figure things out.

Currently feeding:

API premium goldfish pellets (sinking)

Marineland color-enhancing goldfish flakes (soaked in tank water for 5-10 minutes so they sink)

Peas (once a week)

Back in January I posted regarding suggestions on what types of food to feed. I hadn't ordered any new food because I was waiting to finish up what I had. I decided to place an order today for the new food. (which I will incorporate into their diet slowly and one at a time to watch for side effects!)

Anyway, I ordered the Hikari purple pellets, Repashy gel food (soilent green) and shrimp pellets (goldfish connection)

FYI, Here are the ingredients of the pellets:

wheat flour, pea protein, squid meal, dehydrated alfalfa meal, condensed fish protein digest, wheat germ meal, tagetes extract, beet pulp, dried molasses, brewer's dried yeast, dried seaweed meal (fucaceae), garlic powder, polychaete worms, earthworm meal, spirulina, carrot meal, beet powder, lecithin, dicalcium phosphate, ground limestone, choline chloride, honey, hydrolyzed yeast, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate, a-tocopherol acetate, inositol, propyl gallate (preservative), citric acid (preservative), calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, BHT (preservative), thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A acetate, folic acid, copper sulfate, biotin and vitamin D3 supplement Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min) 32% Crude fat (min) 4.8% Crude fiber (max) 5.4% Moisture (max) 9% Vitamin E (min) 454 IU/lb. Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) (min) 363mg/lb.

and the flakes:

Ground Brown Rice, Dried Anchovy, Condensed Fish Protein Digest (sourced from Cod, Haddock, Halibut, Herring, Pollack, Mackerel, Whiting, Red Fish), Dried Yeast, Fish Oil, Corn Starch, Shrimp Meal, Wheat Gluten, Soybean Oil, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Potato Protein, Lecithin, Algae Meal, Yeast Extract, L-Carnitine, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Inositol, Niacin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), D-Calcium Pantothenate, A-Tocopherol Acetate (source of Vitamin E), Riboflavin-5-Phosphate (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin A Palmitate (source of Vitamin A), Folic Acid, Menadione, Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K), Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3), Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Acetate. Added Color: Canthaxanthin, Red 3, Yellow 5 Lake. Ethoxyquin and Citric Acid (both as preservatives)

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 31.0%
Crude Fat (min) 16.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.0%
Moisture (max) 9.0%
Phosphorus (min) 1.2%
Ascorbic Acid (min) 200 mg/kg (Vitamin C)

While you're waiting for the new food to arrive (and, yes, one new food at a time :) ) how about a round of Prazi?

Do a large WC then add Prazi. That's it. Do your next regularly schedule WC as usual. Well, assuming you do them 5 days apart or more. :D

My fish both gulp, but tend to do more with certain foods, like sandy bottom suggested, I think some can leave a bit of a delicious residue behind. The other thing is that as you already know, the foods you are currently feeding don't have the best ingredients (fillers like wheat and rice are the first ingredient, first three ingredients should be good solid protein sources in general), so it could also be some digestive issues due to less than ideal food ingredients.

It will be interesting to see if the behavior changes with the food switch. I see the least gulping personally with veggies and repashy. Luckily Edie's head has gotten so big she can barely get her mouth out of the water to gulp and usually gives up after a few tries lol

If your tap and tank pHs allow, I would do more like an 80%. The less organic matter in the water, the more the Prazi can work on the flukes rather than other "stuff" in the tank.

I'm a big fan of NLS Thera A 1 mm pellets. I especially like that there a a couple of local stores that carry it. :)

OK, here's a really stupid question...whenever I read directions on how much/how often to feed fish, it always says to feed as much as your fish can consume in a couple of minutes. When you feed those pellets, how many would you say that you are feeding each fish? And how often?

It just occurred to me that maybe my problem could possibly stem from me feeding way too much without realizing it.

The pellets that I feed these guys are teeny tiny. I mean SUPER tiny. What I do is take a "pinch" and put it in the tank. A pinch (I just actually counted out how many are in a "pinch") is about 40 pellets. I know that sounds like a lot, but they eat most of them before they can even touch the bottom of the tank! They eat them so quickly it's amazing. So when they say "as many as your fish can consume in a couple of minutes", my fish consume in seconds! (That's why it never occurred to me before that I could be overfeeding - plus, the oranda doesn't have any float problems)

OK, here's a really stupid question...whenever I read directions on how much/how often to feed fish, it always says to feed as much as your fish can consume in a couple of minutes. When you feed those pellets, how many would you say that you are feeding each fish? And how often?

It just occurred to me that maybe my problem could possibly stem from me feeding way too much without realizing it.

The pellets that I feed these guys are teeny tiny. I mean SUPER tiny. What I do is take a "pinch" and put it in the tank. A pinch (I just actually counted out how many are in a "pinch") is about 40 pellets. I know that sounds like a lot, but they eat most of them before they can even touch the bottom of the tank! They eat them so quickly it's amazing. So when they say "as many as your fish can consume in a couple of minutes", my fish consume in seconds! (That's why it never occurred to me before that I could be overfeeding - plus, the oranda doesn't have any float problems)

I don't like those rules of thumb for exactly the reason you stated. My fish would consume a ridiculous amount of food if I gave them all they could eat in a couple minutes :P If you have to go by a general rule of thumb, I think closer to 30 seconds, a minute at most if you have slow eaters is probably more accurate. But I am personally a big fan of weighing food, even if it's just once to get a general idea of how much to feed, then you can eyeball it more accurately. Anywhere from .5-1% of body weight in food per fish daily is usually a good estimate.