Hey Folks!

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) - Dont know
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) - 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) - Dont know
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) - 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) - 5
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH-7.2, KH-3, GH-8, Chlorine-0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH-6, KH-3, GH-0-4, Chlorine-1.5
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Tetra test strips
      • * Water temperature? 74F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 8 Gallons (I know its a little small) - about 4 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? build in with Fluval tank
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? about 10% once a week
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today 15%, 2 days ago 20%
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 about 2inches
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Nutrafin Cycle, Nutrafin Aqua plus and Aqualibrium salt
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Flake food normally once a day but stopped as hes not eating
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? Nope
      • * Any medications added to the tank? Nope
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt at about 0.2%
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No fish look perfectly healthy
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
        Staying at top of tank but not gasping/Gulping just sitting there but will occasionaly swim about/swin down then go back. Also not eating
    • Started happening about 5 days ago and no change after 2 water changes so looking for some opnions...?

:hi and welcome

Couple questions for you. :)

What are you doing with your tank water to bring the pH up from your tap pH of 6? Is there any way you can test for ammonia? Here the lps stores will test your water for free. Do they do that in Scotland? Also test strips are notoriously inaccurate. I'd recommend the API test kit if you can get that at some point. They last for years . . .

How long has the salt been in the tank?

All I add is Cycle and Aqua Plus then heat it up to tempature and add the water....?
I assume I will neeed a testing kit to check ammoina levels?
I very much doubt they will test it for free they are not as helpful as folks from the states but I will go and get an ammonia kit tomorrow and ask at the same time!

The salt has been in their for about a month now..

I just read the box for the salt as it does say "pH buffer" so that might be changing the pH level in the tank compaired to the tap...?

Thanks

Ok so after the got my API test kit there is only between 0-0.25 ppm of ammonia, trace amounts of Nitrate, PH level of 7.5.

I have had the salt in there as I was told it was good to have a little in the tank to make them less stressed.
Hes still not eating...

Kinda looks like he keeps floating to the top but can quite easily swim back down and around his tank

That isn't correct. Goldfish do not need salt in their water unless you are using it as a medication. It is also not safe to have in a tank in which you do not know the ammonia levels. Salt makes ammonia more toxic to fish.

Is that for both tank and tap? Or just the tank? Could you please test all the parameters you tested with your strips, with your drops?

Edited by ChelseaM

Could we have a video of about 60s, please?

I agree that no treatment should be added, until you are sure of your water parameters. However, I must correct this whole salt and ammonia thing.

Salt neither increases ammonia, nor does it make ammonia more toxic. Think about it for a second with all the salt water fish.

If you have evidence or references that say otherwise, I'm happy to entertain it.

I feel badly that this myth has become so entrenched.

Thanks. :)

No problem, Chelsea. A few years ago, "salt makes ammonia more toxic" was standard dogma here. I remember getting chewed out for recommending someone do a 100% water change and add salt, on the grounds that if there was ammonia in the water (After a 100% WC?) this could kill the fish. It seemed unlikely, but I believed it too. It's really good that these things get corrected.

Edited by shakaho

Don't want to stray off the topic of helping the OP, but the salt/ammonia danger bit is embedded in the pinned 'Using Salt' thread. I think it keeps infecting the board as new members read this otherwise helpful post. :)