Sign in to follow this  
chicotyson99

Bloodworms

Hello all ! I was on ebay today and i saw an item , it was freeze dried bloodworms in a goldfish food container , is this the same as frozen bloodworms you get in your lfs? And does it have more or them same nutritinal value?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Freeze dried foods are not good for goldfish. The reasons for this are the same as flake: They float. When soaked they still retain some air, and also disintegrate much more easily than frozen. They also tend to expand in the intestine as they rehydrate, which has the possibility of making fish float.

Frozen bloodworm is much better for your fish.

Yes, it is the same that you can get at the LFS.

But a good LFS usually carries not only freeze dried bloodworms, but also fresh frozen bloodworms. The frozen kind is the one we usually talk about.

I have had only bad experiences with the freeze dried type. Even if soaked, they hold way too much air and caused some of the most severe floating among several of my fish - some of them who usually are not very sensitive to certain foods. So I ended up trashing the almost full container immediately.

The frozen kind is much healthier, and probably much tastier to the fish as well. I personally love the San Francisco Bay products.
http://www.petsolutions.com/images/Products/10988053.jpg

Their cubes of frozen bloodworms are packed with a lot of meat and only little water. Hikari brand is good too and is enhanced with vitamins and minerals (or so), but the cubes contain significantly more water and less worms compared to SFB.

And to feed you can either just pop a frozen cube straight into the tank (it thaws quickly in the tank water), or thaw it first and then toss the lose worms in.

I personally usually use a worm cone feeder like this http://aquaticfoods.com/images/LargeWormConeFeeder.jpg and plop a couple frozen cubes in. This is in my opinion the cleanest way, since the worms will remain in the feeder unless they are sucked out by the fish.

Additionally, if you have multiple fish, the cube thaws within a few minutes and the fish can not gobble it all up at once. Instead, all of them get the chance to eat some.

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

This is the first I'm learning about a worm cone feeder. How neat! One of my two fish is a terrible miss piggy and can swallow most of a cube whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is the same that you can get at the LFS.

But a good LFS usually carries not only freeze dried bloodworms, but also fresh frozen bloodworms. The frozen kind is the one we usually talk about.

I have had only bad experiences with the freeze dried type. Even if soaked, they hold way too much air and caused some of the most severe floating among several of my fish - some of them who usually are not very sensitive to certain foods. So I ended up trashing the almost full container immediately.

The frozen kind is much healthier, and probably much tastier to the fish as well. I personally love the San Francisco Bay products.

http://www.petsolutions.com/images/Products/10988053.jpg

Their cubes of frozen bloodworms are packed with a lot of meat and only little water. Hikari brand is good too and is enhanced with vitamins and minerals (or so), but the cubes contain significantly more water and less worms compared to SFB.

And to feed you can either just pop a frozen cube straight into the tank (it thaws quickly in the tank water), or thaw it first and then toss the lose worms in.

I personally usually use a worm cone feeder like this http://aquaticfoods.com/images/LargeWormConeFeeder.jpg and plop a couple frozen cubes in. This is in my opinion the cleanest way, since the worms will remain in the feeder unless they are sucked out by the fish.

Additionally, if you have multiple fish, the cube thaws within a few minutes and the fish can not gobble it all up at once. Instead, all of them get the chance to eat some.

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you so much you are a great help !!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

You know you're a goldfish fish fanatic when you get excited about a worm cone feeder-I am so going to get one : )

I've always fed hikari frozen bloodworms. I agree with the members above, freeze dried foods aren't good for goldfish. In fact, I've never really been a fan of freeze dried foods for any type of fish!

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk