mystery snail?

Elisa

Hi all (:

So, along with my goldie tank.... I also have a 5 gallon betta tank, with Malachi the betta in it :goldfish:
(he's so old....I have no idea how long i've had him :rofl ....it feels like forever ! )

Anyways, about two months ago my boyfriend bought me a white mystery snail (whom he dubbed 'Sheldon the Snail')-
and Sheldon has been living with Malachi ever since.

However, I can't help but feel that Sheldon isn't very happy living in he five gallon with Malachi?
He dosn't seem to move all that much, I often think he's dead :doh11:
But am relieved when I find him later in the day on the other side of the tank or up the tank wall.
I have no idea how he's so sneaky !!
I literally never catch him in the act of moving :blink:

Anywho, my question to you guys is.... should I move him to the 20 gallon with Mochi?
Would he be happier in there?

Are snails typically this sneaky?

Does he just not like me?

Umm. Two big factors for snails is ph and temp. So what is the tank ph and temp? Im assuming the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate is good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The tank isn't heated, so it's usually about 68 to 70 degrees....

PH is 7.2

ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all good (the tank has been up for nearly 5 years) (:

• Supporter

68-70 is alittle low for optimum temperature but still ok. Ph is also a little low but ok. Optimum is 7.6-8.2. But 7.2 is not to bad to worry about.

You could move him to the other tank if you want too. But if you have an AC filter id ask that you either place some sort of filter padding over the intake. I use the fluval prefilters and they work great. You just have to take them off every 5 days or so for a squeeze.

There is another thing it could be though. What are you feeding it?

68-70 is alittle low for optimum temperature but still ok. Ph is also a little low but ok. Optimum is 7.6-8.2. But 7.2 is not to bad to worry about.

You could move him to the other tank if you want too. But if you have an AC filter id ask that you either place some sort of filter padding over the intake. I use the fluval prefilters and they work great. You just have to take them off every 5 days or so for a squeeze.

Before looking in this thread I hadn't realized that you had to feed them anything at all.... :ignore

The betta tank is covered in thick green algae so I thought that was what he would eat :doh11:

....I do have some small hikari algae wafers, so I dropped one of those in the tank this morning to see if he'd be interested...

They also need some protein in there diet. Mystery snails will eat algae but they are scavengers and require a more diverse diet.

what do you recommend feeding them?

• Supporter

Any good quality fish food will work for the added nutrients. Shrimp pellets are good. I like to give bloodworms from time to time. I also use omega one algae wafers. And sometimes gell food. I just give extra to them if what im feeding the other fish for the most part.

Daniel. You don't think the temp is too low for a betta tank? I thought they needed a warmer environment. I'm not too sure for a snail.

Elisa, How is your Betta doing? Is he/she active or sluggish? My betta tank is set around 77ish and both betta and snails are moving around. I had mine set a bit higher even but my plants didn't like the higher temp.

At 68-70 its alittle low but they can still live well. 75-80° is the best range for them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapata

I hear what your saying Daniel. It's just that I've read threads in the past and it's always having the temp higher for a betta. I'd think 68-70 would be too low but yes can still live. Maybe not thrive.

added: I'd get a thermometer and raise the water and see if it even helps the snail.

Edited by 4prettyfish