Sign in to follow this  
James95

CFL bulbs

Hi everyone,

So I'm working on converting my 10g into a planted tank. I added a 2 inch deep layer of fine gravel (CaribSea peace river substrate). This weekend I upgraded the lighting from incandescent to fluorescent CFLs.

These are the bulbs I used:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-40W-Equivalent-Daylight-5000k-Twister-CFL-Light-Bulb-2-Pack-ES5M809250K/100687007/

Here's my question: the bulbs say they are "40 watt equivalent". So... Which number do I go by? The 9 watts it takes to power one or the 40 watts of light it gives off? I'm a tad confused here. Help me! Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Planted tank people. :teehee Don't so much go by watts anymore. I think this is more important now. 5000k But I don't even worry about that. Day lights work great in my tanks. However I did order new lights for my 10 gallon and the 75 gallon. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+8066+3787&pcatid=3787

I think what you have there will work great.

Yes, (2) 5000k bulbs would work great :)

For more info on understanding lighting try one of the planted tank forums. Cause I just don't get it. I just use what works on my low light, low tech tanks.

Yeah I barely understand the whole concept of planted tank lighting and how it all works. But if you guys think I'll have sufficient lighting for some moderate light plants then I'm happy. Thanks guys! Lol.

Also, does anyone have advice on plant species? I'd like something to carpet the bottom, maybe Pygmy chain sword with some corkscrew Vals in the background? Any input or advice is welcome!

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

There is a pinned article from Tithra (jess) in the planted area here using par instead of watts per gallon for measured light. I agree with Hidr above as in it's confusing. The Planted tank forum has a ton of info on lighting and what kind of care certain plants need. Some plants need brighter light than others. I would suggest to get a light fixture of at least 6500k or 7000k minimal. My lights that I have on one of my tanks is 10,000k but it was too bright for some of the plants that I have. For this reason I was getting a mild algae problem so I was able to dim down my lights a little and am having better luck now. I would suggest to stick with the same kind of plants that need the same kind of care and lighting.

I recently purchased a great book called, "The 101 Best Aquarium Plants". It's all color coded with what plants goes with what kind of lighting and which plants are easy to care for to which are more challenging. Which plants need CO2 to thrive better. I purchased it at Petco for just under $20.00.

In a nutshell: 9 watts is the wattage of the bulb, that is what you use. The equivalent measurement is what 9 watts of compact fluorescent is to a halogen bulb. PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) is the measurement of light used in a planted tank. Kelvin (k) is the temperature of the bulb.