Sign in to follow this  
Andy228

Anubias?

Purchased 3 potted plants labelled as aquatic combo and one anubius with suction cup from Petco 50% sale today. Anybody know if the potted ones are anubias?

IMG_20140222_142851_zpsxtdxa18e.jpg

IMG_20140222_152016_zpsdj3mpprf.jpg

IMG_20140222_142840_zpsfpog5q6e.jpg

They look like anubias to me. The only one that seems to look a little different is the one at the bottom right of the bowl. Is it the same as the others? Are it's leaves thick? If it looks the same as the others it's probably anubias. If it looks different and has thinner leaves (top to underside, not side to side) it might be some kind of sword, but I'm not very familiar with swords.

Just my opinion. Perhaps someone else could confirm??

Just separated and disunfected with bleach. The ones on left are definitely not anubias but the ones on the right are questionable. I did see some snails.

IMG_20140222_160933_zpspvfuucm7.jpg

IMG_20140222_161217_zpsoyh2o6e9.jpg

Hmmm, they look like anubias to me but for sure if they are anubias you should be able to easily see the rhizome that the roots are growing out of.

Edited by CindiL

Hmmm - dracaena. That's the same name as a group of tropical house plants that are quite common. I was unaware of any aquatic varieties. I know the houseplants are quite toxic. The variegated leaf plant is the one that looks most similar to the houseplant. Beyond that the ones on the right still look like anubias to me.

The plant combo is not aquatic--you have houseplants, which would look great hanging out of the tank. The others do look like anubias to me!

You're very lucky; I expected to walk into petco, and really do some damage, but neither store I visited had anything amazing.

They were placed in aquarium plants tank. Yes they are great deals. $3.50 each and $4 for anubius with the suction cup. I saw medium size driftwoods in the tank for $5.

Unfortunately, a lot of plants sold as aquarium plants just aren't aquarium plants at all. For example: Peace Lily is often sold as an aquarium plant but will not survive if submerged for long periods. The same can be said about bamboo. Both of these, however, will do great with just their roots in the water.

The plants on the left are likely not the kind that can be submerged, like the others have said.

The ones on the right look like your average anubias. :)

Googled spathiphyllum images and they look like the anubias look alike plants. There's one image with similar roots. I guess they are peace lily. I knew it was odd when I did not see the rhizome.

I have a spot for them in my dinning table. Another would make a great housewarming present when flowers. :)

I have a peace lily hanging out of my goldfish tank. You could do the same with yours if you wanted, assuming it is a peace lily. It just can't be completely submerged.

The anubias you got are absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks. My water line is almost at the top probably no room if submerged.

One word- soap dish! Maybe 2 words :rofl

Looks at Tammy's full tank shot on her siggy. She has bamboo and and pathos in a soap dish at the top inside of her tank and it's awesome :)

Ps. She is Yafashelli

Shoot it's not on het siggy but it's somewhere. I think it's in tank of the month poll this month :hmm

Temporarily placed them in a glass vase.

IMG_20140223_113013_zps520p3mvz.jpg

IMG_20140223_113326_zpskyzakvac.jpg

Your photo's right above look beautiful.