Flipper's Snail Thread ;)

Flipper

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful pics! They reminded me of the snails I used to have. Mine were ramshorns but they were the gold color like yours as well as the striped ones. I looked for my old SD cards to try and find some pics. I found a card with pics from 2009. It had a few pics that had some snails but you couldn't really see them since they weren't the focus of the pic but there was one. I'll post it at the bottom. All the ones I could see looked pretty large and since I didn't find any egg pics, which I know I took, 2009 must have been near the end of my keeping snails. And once those passed I moved on to other things. Since I have had snails before my new guy doesn't creep me out at all and I think it's totally awesome. I remember cleaning out my tank and they would sometimes climb up my hand onto my arm and try to eat me. Now that is a little weird feeling but ehh I have been bitten by worse things, lol.

Is that black sand from Petco? I tried using that in my goldfish tank but when they sifted through it searching for food they would spit it out right into the intake and my Aquaclear started making a noise so I had to remove it. I was hoping it would be fine too since it's a bigger grain then most sands but now I have their black gravel in there instead.

i266ug.jpg

I love the shots of your apple snail! Such great shots of his foot. I love watching mine when he's fully extended and crawling across something.

I currently have a golden apple snail in my bedroom goldfish tank and I just love watching him motor around. I only purchased him (her?) in the last month or so. Some years ago I had a brown apple snail. I inherited him from my brother in law. He grew to be probably about 2.5-3 inches across the shell. My b-i-l had named him Orange and we never changed it. He lived with us for a couple years before passing for no apparent reason, of course I knew much less about fish keeping then and the internet was, or at least seemed, a much less reliable place for information. The current guy is yet to be named. I'm just waiting for the right name to strike me. I'll have to take some pictures to share

I love him, Aubrey. We have become very fond of the snails (although we do not give them names) and they have never creeped me out. Ours have a piece of cuttle bone but they seem to prefer the seashells we pick up on the beach more.

Beautiful pics! They reminded me of the snails I used to have. Mine were ramshorns but they were the gold color like yours as well as the striped ones. I looked for my old SD cards to try and find some pics. I found a card with pics from 2009. It had a few pics that had some snails but you couldn't really see them since they weren't the focus of the pic but there was one. I'll post it at the bottom. All the ones I could see looked pretty large and since I didn't find any egg pics, which I know I took, 2009 must have been near the end of my keeping snails. And once those passed I moved on to other things. Since I have had snails before my new guy doesn't creep me out at all and I think it's totally awesome. I remember cleaning out my tank and they would sometimes climb up my hand onto my arm and try to eat me. Now that is a little weird feeling but ehh I have been bitten by worse things, lol.

Is that black sand from Petco? I tried using that in my goldfish tank but when they sifted through it searching for food they would spit it out right into the intake and my Aquaclear started making a noise so I had to remove it. I was hoping it would be fine too since it's a bigger grain then most sands but now I have their black gravel in there instead.

i266ug.jpg

Love your ramshorns :heart Another great photo of yours! :)

Yes, I do have black petco sand. Some does get sucked into the intake, but if have it about halfway up the tank so it's not too bad! I just LOVE having sand and I think the fish enjoy it too :happydance

I love the shots of your apple snail! Such great shots of his foot. I love watching mine when he's fully extended and crawling across something.

I currently have a golden apple snail in my bedroom goldfish tank and I just love watching him motor around. I only purchased him (her?) in the last month or so. Some years ago I had a brown apple snail. I inherited him from my brother in law. He grew to be probably about 2.5-3 inches across the shell. My b-i-l had named him Orange and we never changed it. He lived with us for a couple years before passing for no apparent reason, of course I knew much less about fish keeping then and the internet was, or at least seemed, a much less reliable place for information. The current guy is yet to be named. I'm just waiting for the right name to strike me. I'll have to take some pictures to share

Thanks so much! :D it really looks like his body is gonna come out go his shell sometimes :o I'm thinking about naming him Turbo :rofl

Please post your pics here! I'd love it :) Let me what you name your new apple :Jig:

I love him, Aubrey. We have become very fond of the snails (although we do not give them names) and they have never creeped me out. Ours have a piece of cuttle bone but they seem to prefer the seashells we pick up on the beach more.

Thanks Susanne, I appreciate it :) do they appear to eat the seashells? Did you boil them? My dad's in Florida now. Maybe I'll ask him to get some for me :idont

They do appear to scrape the shells outer layer. I didn't boil them, just let them dry, scrubbed, rinsed and plopped in the tank. The shells look nice in the tank too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Took some more cell phone pics today :) the goldies think its all about them :rofl

burunutu.jpg

9unaduju.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

They do appear to scrape the shells outer layer. I didn't boil them, just let them dry, scrubbed, rinsed and plopped in the tank. The shells look nice in the tank too.

Is there a certain type shell they prefer? I have several different types that I picked up from beaches and what not. Just wondering if maybe they like one more then another for whatever reason. I already threw one in my snails tank. It looks like it might have been a conch shell but all that's left of it is the inner spiral so I'm not really sure.

Another one :teehee

avy9uqy2.jpg

Or two

3yvevu9a.jpg

He really seems to like this wood! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great pics he (?) seems to love the camera. It's funny because mine is almost always on the wood I have in my tank when I check on him. I would have thought he would of liked the one chinese lantern I have in there because he can go to the top inside and be completely hidden but I have only seen him on it once. Maybe because the wood is real he likes the feel of it better? Who knows? I may even take the lantern out if he doesn't like it and attempt to have a real plant in there. I have a black thumb and have even killed a cactus. The only plant that I have that I don't think I could kill it if I tried is java moss. That stuff is worse than algae and I swear if it could live out of water it would take over the world. It started out as a tiny, maybe 1 1/2 piece that was in the water when my brother bought plants for his tank. I took it home since it didn't stand a chance with his fish, they eat plants. And it has grown and grown and grown. I don't even know what to do with it anymore. I keep taking most of it out and after a few months there's a giant green blob floating in my tank again. My guppies love it but me, not so much. But anyway I was thinking of getting either java FERN or anubias nana. I read they both stay pretty small so they should be OK in my 3 gallon. Hopefully.

Nice snails! I have 2 nerites in my betta tank that are pretty cool looking. They're still very small so I bet they'll look even better as they get bigger. I have cuttlebone in there for them. I rarely see them sitting on it but at least it's there if they want it. They seem to be going strong. I got some plants from the Petco sale today and I noticed a couple snails managed to hitchhike home with me. I'd feel terrible killing them so I'm going to put them in separate tanks eventually (Non goldfish) once they get bigger (After sanitizing and QTing the plants, of course) and see what I end up with. Hopefully I don't regret it, lol.

Is there a certain type shell they prefer? I have several different types that I picked up from beaches and what not. Just wondering if maybe they like one more then another for whatever reason. I already threw one in my snails tank. It looks like it might have been a conch shell but all that's left of it is the inner spiral so I'm not really sure.

Another one :teehee

avy9uqy2.jpg

Or two

3yvevu9a.jpg

He really seems to like this wood! :)

Great pics he (?) seems to love the camera. It's funny because mine is almost always on the wood I have in my tank when I check on him. I would have thought he would of liked the one chinese lantern I have in there because he can go to the top inside and be completely hidden but I have only seen him on it once. Maybe because the wood is real he likes the feel of it better? Who knows? I may even take the lantern out if he doesn't like it and attempt to have a real plant in there. I have a black thumb and have even killed a cactus. The only plant that I have that I don't think I could kill it if I tried is java moss. That stuff is worse than algae and I swear if it could live out of water it would take over the world. It started out as a tiny, maybe 1 1/2 piece that was in the water when my brother bought plants for his tank. I took it home since it didn't stand a chance with his fish, they eat plants. And it has grown and grown and grown. I don't even know what to do with it anymore. I keep taking most of it out and after a few months there's a giant green blob floating in my tank again. My guppies love it but me, not so much. But anyway I was thinking of getting either java FERN or anubias nana. I read they both stay pretty small so they should be OK in my 3 gallon. Hopefully.

I would totally encourage you to get anubias :) require little light and is really fun. You do not need a green thumb to keep it... I swear :peeka Petco is having half off fresher water plant sale this weekend :happydance

My snail really like the wood too :idont if I didn't know better I would think he was rasping on it like a pleco :teehee

Nice snails! I have 2 nerites in my betta tank that are pretty cool looking. They're still very small so I bet they'll look even better as they get bigger. I have cuttlebone in there for them. I rarely see them sitting on it but at least it's there if they want it. They seem to be going strong. I got some plants from the Petco sale today and I noticed a couple snails managed to hitchhike home with me. I'd feel terrible killing them so I'm going to put them in separate tanks eventually (Non goldfish) once they get bigger (After sanitizing and QTing the plants, of course) and see what I end up with. Hopefully I don't regret it, lol.

You are a very brave person keeping those extra snails :) let me know what happens with that. I too got plant today :) slim pickings, but...

ahuhabaj.jpg

I also put my snail in the half eggshell with a few pieces of frozen brine shrimp and he went to town! :)):nana

uhy2upev.jpg

Thanks for checking out my thread :hug

There were slim pickings at my Petco too, and I got there at 2pm. I got a few African dwarf frogs for my betta tank and a molly that I just couldn't resist in addition to the plants. The creatures and the plants are going to be in QT for a while since my local Petco doesn't always have the best tanks. I know the frogs sometimes eat snails so we'll see if they survive. If they do they're welcome to live in one of my set ups. I just don't have the heart to kill any living creature even if it's just a snail. I hope they do make it because I'm curious as to what kind of snails they are! When I saw them earlier they were super tiny.

There were slim pickings at my Petco too, and I got there at 2pm. I got a few African dwarf frogs for my betta tank and a molly that I just couldn't resist in addition to the plants. The creatures and the plants are going to be in QT for a while since my local Petco doesn't always have the best tanks. I know the frogs sometimes eat snails so we'll see if they survive. If they do they're welcome to live in one of my set ups. I just don't have the heart to kill any living creature even if it's just a snail. I hope they do make it because I'm curious as to what kind of snails they are! When I saw them earlier they were super tiny.

Awe! I know what you mean! Post pics of your froggies :please

i have a dozen nerites.i got free ramshorn and bladder snails from some duckweed i got at petco.i was pretty mad at first and did not know what to do with them.i ended up putting them in my betta tank.i am happy i kept them around. i was having a small problem with a mild cyano bacteria outbreak.the ramshorns ate it.as far as i know,they are the only kind of snails that will go near the stuff.

i hit the petco sale at 9am when they opened. i got 3 different kinds of anubias (8 plants total) some pennywort and a marimo ball.

Flipper- I'll try to take pics a little later! I really hope they make it. I know frogs can be fragile. They look healthy but a bit skinny. I fed them bloodworms last night and they were SO excited! I'll have to buy some other stuff to feed them as well. I doubt the pet store fed them a proper diet.

sandybottom- You clearly did the right thing going early! That's what I should have done.

:rofl. He is one spoiled snail. :rofl

:teehee I can't help it! He's so cute and his shell looks like it need a bit of TLC :heart

i have a dozen nerites.i got free ramshorn and bladder snails from some duckweed i got at petco.i was pretty mad at first and did not know what to do with them.i ended up putting them in my betta tank.i am happy i kept them around. i was having a small problem with a mild cyano bacteria outbreak.the ramshorns ate it.as far as i know,they are the only kind of snails that will go near the stuff.

i hit the petco sale at 9am when they opened. i got 3 different kinds of anubias (8 plants total) some pennywort and a marimo ball.

Well, that was an exciting bonus :) and they work for you :nana I frequently get the brownish purple stuff (I'm drawing a blank on the name :wall) and nobody seems to like that either :( thanks for posting :)

Flipper- I'll try to take pics a little later! I really hope they make it. I know frogs can be fragile. They look healthy but a bit skinny. I fed them bloodworms last night and they were SO excited! I'll have to buy some other stuff to feed them as well. I doubt the pet store fed them a proper diet.

sandybottom- You clearly did the right thing going early! That's what I should have done.

I'm glad they ate for you :Jig: I bet they'll be fine after a few good meals :D

• Supporter

Your doing so good with that snail. Why dont to get him a few more buddies. Say maybe 50 lol. You know I know somebody that could hook you up.

But seriously looks good :) they are quite interesting things to have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Your doing so good with that snail. Why dont to get him a few more buddies. Say maybe 50 lol. You know I know somebody that could hook you up.

But seriously looks good :) they are quite interesting things to have.

Thanks Snail King :) I appreciate your kind words! I'd love a couple of yours :heart definitely one of the blue :)

All right 100 blue for you lol. What a ramshorn or two aswell? Lol

But seriously they grow fast. How big is yours now?

About an inch, maybe a bit more :)

Edit: I'm thinking about getting a puffer. What kind of snails procreate the easiest for food?

Edited by Flipper