Flipper's Snail Thread ;)

Flipper

Another Kokonut started a snail thread today and I found myself fascinated by it. So, I started my own instead of taking over theirs :teehee

I have a couple netrite snails that i like, but I recently bought a gold mystery snail and he is a trip :heart I am amazed at how fast he zooms around the tank. Also his "foot" is beautiful.

Feel free to add your own snail pics :happydance

This is my favorite nerite photo :)

3a8u5y6a.jpg

ny2a7any.jpg

I like when he stretches from one spot to the next :wub:

3uny5epy.jpg

Sorry for the glare :(

Last one for now

da3yra7y.jpg

Thanks for humoring me and snail watching :Jig:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Kokonut started a snail thread today and I found myself fascinated by it. So, I started my own instead of taking over theirs :teehee

I have a couple netrite snails that i like, but I recently bought a gold mystery snail and he is a trip :heart I am amazed at how fast he zooms around the tank. Also his

Feel free to add your own snail pics :happydance

This is my favorite nerite photo :)3a8u5y6a.jpgny2a7any.jpg

I like when he stretches from one spot to the next :wub:3uny5epy.jpg

Sorry for the glare :(

Last one for nowda3yra7y.jpg

Thanks for humoring me and snail watching :Jig:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

"foot" is beautiful. This sounds like a fetish to me!!! lol

Great pics Aubrey...and I didn't know about your foot fetish :rofl

Oh man! What did I do to myself :doh11:

Love the pics!!! I'm finally coming around to not being :scared when I see snails up close and personal. :rofl

Ps: where did you find such a nice and cute piece of driftwood?! :o

Love the pics!!! I'm finally coming around to not being :scared when I see snails up close and personal. :rofl

Ps: where did you find such a nice and cute piece of driftwood?! :o

:teehee they do have lots of tubes and tentacles, but I just love this golden guy :)

Well, this isn't your driftwood :o that's in my 20 long :nana I got this piece from a lfs with a plant attached to it. The plant has since gone to greenery heaven :death but I really like the wood ;)

So cute Aubrey!!!! :heart

Thanks Mikey!

I read that Fang suggested putting eggshells in for the calcium. Do you know if I wash them first to get the gelatinous stuff out :idont or maybe that's what they like they eat :hmm I was gonna eat eggs for breakfast tomorrow so the snails could have nommers too :feedme

So cute Aubrey!!!! :heart

Thanks Mikey!

I read that Fang suggested putting eggshells in for the calcium. Do you know if I wash them first to get the gelatinous stuff out :idont or maybe that's what they like they eat :hmm I was gonna eat eggs for breakfast tomorrow so the snails could have nommers too :feedme

I have no idea :o I just use small cuddle bones and put plant weights on it.

Your snails are adorable. I didn't think I was much of a snail person but since I've purchased some netrites I love them. :) Your big guy is very pretty also. What's keeping me from buying a bigger snail is that gross "foot" as your calling it. ha ha ha ha Is that what it's really called? (I don't know. :( )

I read somewhere that snails need the calcium for their shells and that they can get it from a bird cuttlebone like what Mikey mentioned above. I bought one from Petsmart in the bird section for a couple of dollars. It floated for weeks so I held it down by one of those suction cups leaf feeding things you attach to your tank glass when you feed your fish. I don't need it now because the cuttlebone stays at the bottom of my tank now. I hide the cuttlebone in the back corner now. I frequently see a snail(s) sitting on it. I'm assuming it's eating/sucking it. ha ha ha

Your snails are adorable. I didn't think I was much of a snail person but since I've purchased some netrites I love them. :) Your big guy is very pretty also. What's keeping me from buying a bigger snail is that gross "foot" as your calling it. ha ha ha ha Is that what it's really called? (I don't know. :( )

I read somewhere that snails need the calcium for their shells and that they can get it from a bird cuttlebone like what Mikey mentioned above. I bought one from Petsmart in the bird section for a couple of dollars. It floated for weeks so I held it down by one of those suction cups leaf feeding things you attach to your tank glass when you feed your fish. I don't need it now because the cuttlebone stays at the bottom of my tank now. I hide the cuttlebone in the back corner now. I frequently see a snail(s) sitting on it. I'm assuming it's eating/sucking it. ha ha ha

Thanks Cheryl :) that foot is an incredible muscle that has incredible fine motor skills :happydance

Ok, next pet store trip I'll get a cuttlebone :D we must have strong bones, ahem shells :nana

This is awesome. I didn't even think of looking up anything like this when I got my little guys. ha ha Thanks Aubrey.

Okay, I can now say though I don't like the foot. I think it's :( when it's long and trailing behind the snail shell. (Please don't hate me people) It reminds me of when I was younger playing outside in the rain with my sister and we'd see snails crawling on our lawn/pavement. But my mind is ever so changing slowly in liking the bigger guys though. ha ha I just don't look at their foot. :) Thanks for the snail lesson Aubrey. :)

It's ok! :hug to each there own :)

In college whenever it rained the worms would come out onto the pavement and crawl around trying not to drown :o but all the mean clueless people would step on them :yikes so there would be a ton of squished earth worms all over campus :( it broke my heart! I would run around campus flinging the worms back onto the higher mounds of grass trying to get some of them to survive :/

That experience reminds me of these cute snails :teehee

I hope you don't mind my pointless story :peeka

:nana

Very cute Aubrey!!

I used to use cuttlebone also until I actually tested my GH and found that it was quite high. The Wise One :alex informed me with my GH I shouldn't need to add additional calcium and they have done fine for probably a year without it.

Sooooooooooooo if you know your GH and it's high, you might not even need it. :D

It's ok! :hug to each there own :)

In college whenever it rained the worms would come out onto the pavement and crawl around trying not to drown :o but all the mean clueless people would step on them :yikes so there would be a ton of squished earth worms all over campus :( it broke my heart! I would run around campus flinging the worms back onto the higher mounds of grass trying to get some of them to survive :/

That experience reminds me of these cute snails :teehee

I hope you don't mind my pointless story :peeka

I didn't mind your story at all. I told you mine. ha ha (a time for sharing. :) ) ha ha Your worm story did remind me of seeing those as kids also while playing. I didn't like seeing those either. I think that's pretty nice of you to save the worms. I would have been trying to dodge them. Poor worms and snails.

Cool pics! I'd love to get one, but I think that I'd be too creeped out to touch it! :scared

Whew! I'm not the only one.

Cool pics! I'd love to get one, but I think that I'd be too creeped out to touch it! :scared

:D thanks Tammy! :teehee He is really fun :Jig: I haven't named him yet, but need a good one for him :lol

:nana

Very cute Aubrey!!

I used to use cuttlebone also until I actually tested my GH and found that it was quite high. The Wise One :alex informed me with my GH I shouldn't need to add additional calcium and they have done fine for probably a year without it.

Sooooooooooooo if you know your GH and it's high, you might not even need it. :D

:hmm good to know! I'll check my GH tomorrow :) but probably still give some kind of Ca+ because his shell looks rather shabby :(

I know the nerites are supposed to be better for algae, but this mystery snail is soooo much fun! :nana

They are super cool! I used to be skeeved out by snails. I don't even mind picking mine up now :)

:)) Thanks! I didn't realize how skeavey they could be :rofl