I bought a blue apple/mystery snail

silver8328

Awwww, what a handsome dude! He practically sparkles! I love the pics. I think he would be ok with a betta as long as you monitor the water params. Some live plants might help as well. If you're worried you could upgrade to a 5 or 10 gallon which would certainly be ok for a snail and a betta.

Good info, Daniel. I absolutely agree about the temp. At ambient temp. (maybe 60F, possibly lower) the snails burrowed into the sand at the bottom and stopped moving/eating. They didn't die but were sort of hibernating. Upon entering the tank heated to 70F, they began moving, eating, growing again.

A 70, and with a low ph (around 7 now), they have never laid eggs.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah the basics are simple. Ph 7.6-8.2. Need calcium. This can come from a variety of things. Mine luke freeze dried shrimp from time to time. They will goto the top to eat them. They do need a significant amount of protein. I like to give some bloodworms from time to time. But any good fish food would meet that need really. I also feed omega one algae wafers. They love them.
They are sexual breeders so you would need a male and female snail. Then they lay the eggs above the water line so if you dont want them they can be easily removed. My feeding is per adult snail one algae waffer every other day and bloodworms once a week. (This is the tank without fish that eat pellet food.) They also eat the shrimp from time to time when the leaf fish leaves some. As for the veggies I dont use fresh veggies that often due to useing the algae wafers. How bug is your guy? He still has the spots right now so I know he is not fully mature. He will lose them after he does. They can reach the size if a golf ball so id just do the one in that tank size. Although if you upgraded (at least 5 gal) you could do two and they are social snails when in groups.
Thats hust some basics off the top of my head. But feel free to ask as many questions as you have im sure we can answer them.

Oh and btw they can live in water 50°F but they slow down their movements and growth. This also can cause thickening of the shell that is concidered by many as unattractive.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

He's about the size of a dime, so yeah he isn't close to full grown yet. I thought about it some more and I don't plan on adding a fish. I would still like to add a couple shrimp though, if that's OK. The tanks temp is around 75 at night and 78 during the day with the light on. I didn't know they need a lot of protein for some reason I thought they were mostly herbivores. I have stuff like krill and river shrimp for my hermit crabs but I also have some grasshoppers, crickets and mealworms. They are all freeze dried, would the snail eat them too? Maybe I'll try a meal worm but feed in a separate container just in case.

Awwww, what a handsome dude! He practically sparkles! I love the pics. I think he would be ok with a betta as long as you monitor the water params. Some live plants might help as well. If you're worried you could upgrade to a 5 or 10 gallon which would certainly be ok for a snail and a betta.

Thank you! I would like to get either a java fern or anubias nana, whenever I get myself to a petstore. I heard Petco was having a sale but a lot of the plants are already gone so I don't even know if it's worth to go today.

I almost completely forgot why I came here, I saw people posting about hermit crabs and was surprised to see that on this site I kinda got caught up, lol. Anyway I was at Petsmart yesterday dropping my brothers dog off at the vet and needed to get some cat food. On my way back I glanced over at the tanks and saw a ton of snails in one tank. I took a closer look and saw that they weren't in the best of shape. A lot of their shells looked thin and chipped but I saw this adorable little blue running away and I needed to get it. The person I was with went to find someone to help me while I kept close eye on it so it didn't get away. The whole time I was thinking what am I going to do with this thing? I have a 46 gallon bow front with my 3 goldfish in it but they are way too large for this tiny snail. It's maybe the size of a dime if not just a little smaller. I also have a 25 gallon with some small tropical fish but I don't want it to be pestered by the fish all day long. So what's left? I have turtles and frogs and of course hermit crabs but none of them are compatible. And this spur of the moment buy I didn't want to end up being a bad decision. Then I remembered I have a 3 gallon Marineland Eclipse. I haven't used it in over a year when my betta died. So I felt better but still am unsure. I came home set the tank up and the snail seems to enjoy it but I don't know if it's a good permanent home. Plus it looks very empty and I was thinking about adding a tank mate.

Here come the questions. Is a 3 OK long term for a snail? It's filtered and heated. I have sand substrate, a couple fake plants and a piece of mopani wood in there. Which I'm also not too sure about. Is the wood OK to stay? I know wood can tend to lower the PH and I don't want to harm the snails shells. I was thinking of adding some extra shells I have to help stabilize the PH. Plus also add some cuttlebone. Would a betta be OK to add or would it be too much to have a betta and a snail in only 3 gallons? When I had my betta I added some ghost shrimp but they only lasted a couple days. At first I thought they were just hiding but when I never saw any after watching the tank for a while I realized the betta must have eaten them. She was the meanest betta I have ever had. She used to be in my tropical tank but ate all the fins off one of my corys even though she left the guppies and neons alone which I thought was weird. But anyway I was thinking if a betta isn't OK how about shrimp? Plus if the betta doesn't leave the snail alone then what do I do? I would just like to see a little more movement in the tank.

Here is a pic of it, isn't it awesome?

2090cgg.jpg

That is one cute snail! Haven't seen a blue and orange one before!

Thank you!

I will update this with more pics to show how much he has grown already after I do a little redecorating. It should be a little redecorated by this weekend but it depends on what plants the store has in stock when I'm there. I also need a new bulb, the one in there now is very yellow. I replaced it with one from Home Depot when I still had my betta and forgot how ugly it was.

Mini update. I went out to breakfast this morning and had time before the person I was with had to be somewhere so I suggested wasting some time at Petco so I got to go a little sooner then I had planned. They didn't have much of anything and what they did have was pretty picked over. I guess they haven't restocked since their sale but they did have about 8 or so plants in a tube and an anubias was one of them. I'm not sure which anubias it is as it was called assorted anubias on the label. Hopefully it won't grow too big. I also never had this type of plant before, I read to either tie it to something or even glue it but the wood had a little hole in it so I just put (carefully) most of the roots through the hole. Is that good enough?

On to the pics. First is my tank redesign, still no where near done but I love how the plant looks. I used a led flashlight as my light source so it didn't look so yellow (since I still haven't bought a new bulb) but it just looks like spot light on the plant. Still better then the yellow though.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/mypetz/IMG_1578_zps2614f7e2.jpg~original

The water level was low since I had just taken out about half the water when I put the plant in and he was climbing up the fake plant but in this pic you can see how much my little guy has grown in just a week. The brownish line is where he was at when I got him.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/mypetz/IMG_1572_zps025a24ea.jpg~original

Like I said the tank is no where near done yet. I still need a new bulb, a background that isn't a piece of card board (lol), and I would like to replace the fake plant with something else. I'm not sure I want another real plant since I have a black thumb and I don't even know if this one will survive but it looks obviously fake next to a real plant so maybe a nicer looking fake one, probably silk. I just want something to hide the heater and intake. I like the simple look but I also want him to have enough things to climb all over, so he doesn't get bored. So I'm not sure about anything else, I guess I'll just play the rest by ear and see how it goes and if anything catches my eye while looking for those things.

Sorry for no new updates. My water heater started leaking last month. It didn't look like a lot, it's in the basement near a drain so it didn't seem like an emergency or anything. Well we got our bills. The water is a little high, really not much though. Our gas bill on the other hand is astronomical. So everything else has been put aside trying to get that fixed. We bought a new water heater, the store didn't have in it stock so we bought it online and it was supposed to be in within 2-3 days but now it won't be in for 9-11 days. We got 2 estimates for installation. One was $400 and the other is $600. They both seem ridiculously high to us, I mean that's more than the water heater it self. So we are going to check out some how to videos and see how hard it would be for us to do it. Just buying the new heater has put a giant dent into my savings if I have to pay someone to replace it that will just wipe it right out. The snail tank, as well as everything else, will just have to stay as it is until this is all straightened out. Being a grown up sucks :(

Oh I did get a new background though. Nothing fancy just a black piece of poster board for 50 cents. I figured I could still swing that :)

I'm sorry you've been having water heater problems. I hope they get worked out without too much additional cost. And, yes, I agree with you. Being an adult is decidedly less fun than I always thought it would be.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't forget about this thread I just haven't really done anything to the tank in a while. I bought a new water heater but I listened to someone in regards to the size of my old one without double checking myself before I bought the new one. I picked it up got it in the house then noticed it's the wrong size. I apparently needed a short but I had bought a tall. It was so freaking heavy that the person who helped me carry it in the house (also the person who told me the wrong size) wouldn't help in bringing it back to the store. So I had to wait until someone else was willing to help and was free. Thankfully the store had no problems with taking it back. They refunded my money but they were having a sale that ended the next day and the money wouldn't have been put back on my card in time so I had to borrow money from my brother, who helped bring it back to the store, to buy the new one. I had to order it since they didn't have it in store, it's in but I need his help again in picking it up but he has been so busy with work and family that he hasn't had time. All this trouble and I still have to install the thing, which I am doing myself. I watched a few videos and read a few sites and it doesn't seem all that hard. I think the hardest part will be removing the old water heater. If the new clean empty one is heavy I'm sure the old dirty one is going to be like trying to move an elephant.

Back to my tank, I did buy a java fern though to replace the plastic plant blocking the heater and filter in take. It was from Petsmart, in a tube. It's a narrow leaf java fern. There were 4 plants in one tube but only one had more then 3 leaves so it's looking a little sparse even with 4 of them in the tank. Each plant is tied to their own rock. They have been in there for a couple weeks now and the biggest has grown 2 new leaves already, one has grown 1, another actually has 3 babies growing on one of the leaves and the last still has it's lonely one leaf. I'm not sure about that one. It doesn't look like it's dying but it isn't growing either.

Now onto the snail he (or she) has doubled in size and is doing great. The only time I see him though is when he is eating or getting some air. Otherwise he is sleeping on the back of the driftwood. I still want to get some shrimp, maybe the other movement in the tank will peak his interest and he will move around more.

Here is a pic of him, it's not the best but you can still see him, lol.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/mypetz/snail4-2-14_zps2fe741b2.png

Also here is a pic of the java fern with the babies. The bottom baby has the big leaf but above that you can see the 2 tiny babies.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/mypetz/IMG_1651_zpsc13ec2b1.jpg

Sorry you're still struggling with the heater. It looks like you're nearing the end though.

The snail looks good and if your ferns are making babies they must be happy too!

Can you hear them? The angels? They're singing because they are as happy as I am about my HOT water! LOL Just kidding but I do finally have my water heater installed *high fives all around* And thank you BronwynH, it was a struggle at first but you sort of get used to it after a while. My grandmom lives right down the street so while I didn't have hot water in my house I had access to it so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. But it is one of those things you don't know what you have until it's gone. It was hooked up on Sunday so I'm back to my normal routines. The goldies and the turtles both got major water changes yesterday now that I don't have to warm the water first. Today is the tropicals and I JUST did the snail. I removed the last plastic plant and rearranged the tank. I do not have an eye for aquascaping and now that I'm branching out with live plants it isn't any easier but I think the tank looks a little better. And once the java fern grows in more I think it will look much better. I'm worried the java may become too large for a 3 gallon though. It looks fine now and I'm sure I can trim it or whatever but I had actually originally bought it for my goldies tank and it was just too small, my fish would have sucked it up like spaghetti noodles. I put it in here sort of as a grow out tank but I kind of like the way it looks in here. So I don't know I guess we'll see what happens when it grows more.

Anyway here are some pics. Which I know is the reason why you are reading this, lol. The pictures are not the greatest. I'm sure some of it is me but it's hard with this tank. I don't know if it's because it's acrylic or the lighting or what. It may also be the camera too but it has a setting for aquariums that I'm using. Who knows? Anyway the pics...

Here she (I'm thinking she now) is checking out the tank after I refilled it. It's kind of hard to tell in this pic but her antenna are so long. Oh and the crack line is where she was when I got her. She has to be at least double in size. You can see the roots of the baby fern growing in the background too.

IMG_1681_zpse7df7cd7.jpg

And here is the redisigned tank with weird lighting. None of the java is buried in the sand, they are tied to rocks that mostly are though. You can see the snaily in the back right corner.

IMG_1673_zpsc5e0d57a.jpg

So that's what that unearthly noise was! :rofl Congrats on getting the hot water back! The longest I've gone without it was week at university when something went wrong with our heater. That was miserable enough, so I don't even want to imagine.

Your tank looks lovely and your snail looks happy and healthy. :) I wouldn't worry too much about the java fern taking over the tank. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've found that the older leaves on my fern tend to die off after producing a bunch of babies.

By the way I really should let you know you, your snail, and your photos of him/her are all to blame for my going from one apple snail to six (Admittedly Flipper deserves some of the 'blame' too as her thread pushed me from thinking to doing). I loved the colour of yours so much I just had to have a blue snail!! Once I got to the lfs and saw all the colours I went a little nuts. So thank you! My husband and I really love watching them motor around the various tanks :)

Mwhahahaha, sorry just clearing my throat :K They are awesome though aren't they. They are cool from a distance but when you get in close and see everything that makes up the whole it's even more cool. With their little eyes, polka dot body and freakishly cool mouth. Seeing all the pics really makes me want to get another one. I'm trying to restrain myself though. I would like my current snail to have a species buddy, I think most animals would like one, but if they end up being different genders I don't want to have to deal with the eggs. I would feel bad having to dispose of them but I know I don't have the time or means to raise them all either.

As for the java fern, I had read somewhere that if a leaf is getting ready to die it puts off babies sort of as a survival mechanism. My one that has the babies is getting browner and browner near the base where it attaches to the rhizome so that may be true. But then again maybe it's dieing because the babies are sucking the life out of it. Who knows? My anubias has put out 2 new leaves so far, so that's doing good. The biggest problem is the algae. This tank has always given me problems with algae. I'm hoping the new bulb will help if not I think I will put it on a timer to cut down on how long the light is on for. I don't like the wood either though. That was bought years ago when I had my bristlenose pleco. It was just so he could have the wood to eat and wasn't a focal point in the tank so it didn't matter what it looked like. When I first set this tank up I just grabbed spare decorations and that's what I had. I think I will start looking for a better piece even though I do like it better how I have it now flipped up with the little arch under it. She has been wandering all over the tank since I rearranged it. Usually she spent her time on the back of the wood and would really only come out to eat or get some air. So as long as she likes it I'm happy.

They are definitely a lot of fun! And mine definitely seem to enjoy each others company. I would definitely encourage you to get another :) Perhaps Daniel E. still has some babies available.

And what you describe with the java ferns is exactly how mine have been behaving. This has resulted in a bunch of baby ferns. My original adult is all but gone so rather than large established plants my ferns look more like a few small patches of grass.

Jeez, just twist my arms why don't you? LOL. I would get another snail right now but with the one I do have in a small 3 gallon I don't want to over load it. I'm probably going to move her into my 25 gallon tropical then think about getting her a friend. I'll wait and see how she does in there first though. Or maybe I'll set up another tank just for her and a friend. I don't know. I have to move some tanks around and see what's better for me when it's all said and done. Until then it's just every other day water changes and live plants to help. She's growing like a weed and is active so she seems OK for now.