I bought a blue apple/mystery snail

silver8328

I almost completely forgot why I came here, I saw people posting about hermit crabs and was surprised to see that on this site I kinda got caught up, lol. Anyway I was at Petsmart yesterday dropping my brothers dog off at the vet and needed to get some cat food. On my way back I glanced over at the tanks and saw a ton of snails in one tank. I took a closer look and saw that they weren't in the best of shape. A lot of their shells looked thin and chipped but I saw this adorable little blue running away and I needed to get it. The person I was with went to find someone to help me while I kept close eye on it so it didn't get away. The whole time I was thinking what am I going to do with this thing? I have a 46 gallon bow front with my 3 goldfish in it but they are way too large for this tiny snail. It's maybe the size of a dime if not just a little smaller. I also have a 25 gallon with some small tropical fish but I don't want it to be pestered by the fish all day long. So what's left? I have turtles and frogs and of course hermit crabs but none of them are compatible. And this spur of the moment buy I didn't want to end up being a bad decision. Then I remembered I have a 3 gallon Marineland Eclipse. I haven't used it in over a year when my betta died. So I felt better but still am unsure. I came home set the tank up and the snail seems to enjoy it but I don't know if it's a good permanent home. Plus it looks very empty and I was thinking about adding a tank mate.

Here come the questions. Is a 3 OK long term for a snail? It's filtered and heated. I have sand substrate, a couple fake plants and a piece of mopani wood in there. Which I'm also not too sure about. Is the wood OK to stay? I know wood can tend to lower the PH and I don't want to harm the snails shells. I was thinking of adding some extra shells I have to help stabilize the PH. Plus also add some cuttlebone. Would a betta be OK to add or would it be too much to have a betta and a snail in only 3 gallons? When I had my betta I added some ghost shrimp but they only lasted a couple days. At first I thought they were just hiding but when I never saw any after watching the tank for a while I realized the betta must have eaten them. She was the meanest betta I have ever had. She used to be in my tropical tank but ate all the fins off one of my corys even though she left the guppies and neons alone which I thought was weird. But anyway I was thinking if a betta isn't OK how about shrimp? Plus if the betta doesn't leave the snail alone then what do I do? I would just like to see a little more movement in the tank.

Here is a pic of it, isn't it awesome?

2090cgg.jpg

I'd love to see a pic of its shell :)

I think a betta would be a fine tank mate :idont but I think it will be fine alone too. Just be sure to feed it sinking pellets, FBS, algae wafers, etc.

:goodluck

He's lovely. Welcome to the wonderful world of snail care. The 3 gallon is fine for the snail, although he would probably like real plants rather than plastic ones. Do add the cuttlebone. I'm not a betta fan and I wouldn't add one. Although technically overstocked, I would consider 1 male guppy instead.

Blue/black mystery snails are my favorites. Their color pattern is so beautiful!

I'd keep the snail in the 3g by itself. If you add a betta, make sure to change the water 100% weekly or more.

The snail itself does not really require a heater, but it will be more active in warmer water. At the same time this will also shorten its life span. I think a healthy 75F is a good temperature for the snail.

It does not need the wood. If the wood lowers the pH, remove it. If not, then it's fine. Make sure to provide sources of calcium, like egg shells to nibble on or a piece of cuttlefish bone are both great sources of calcium. Make sure the pH remains at least at 7.5 or higher if possible (which then again is the opposite of what you'd want for a betta).

Please show us his shell?

I just recently got a mystery snail too, but mine is gold! I fine the pattern of his "foot" to be a marbley marvel :heart

:rofl

Thank you every one :)

He's lovely. Welcome to the wonderful world of snail care. The 3 gallon is fine for the snail, although he would probably like real plants rather than plastic ones. Do add the cuttlebone. I'm not a betta fan and I wouldn't add one. Although technically overstocked, I would consider 1 male guppy instead.

I am all guppied out, lol. I have been keeping guppies for what seems to be forever and I just want them to stop at this point. They are great fish but are never ending. Depending on how big he grows I may just keep him(?) alone. I just want to be able to see something when I look in the tank because right now since he is hiding it looks empty.

Blue/black mystery snails are my favorites. Their color pattern is so beautiful!

I'd keep the snail in the 3g by itself. If you add a betta, make sure to change the water 100% weekly or more.

The snail itself does not really require a heater, but it will be more active in warmer water. At the same time this will also shorten its life span. I think a healthy 75F is a good temperature for the snail.

It does not need the wood. If the wood lowers the pH, remove it. If not, then it's fine. Make sure to provide sources of calcium, like egg shells to nibble on or a piece of cuttlefish bone are both great sources of calcium. Make sure the pH remains at least at 7.5 or higher if possible (which then again is the opposite of what you'd want for a betta).

I didn't even notice the orange all over when I picked him out and still don't really see it unless I look real close. It showed up great in the pic though didn't it? How cold is too cold for them? I have the tank in my bedroom which is always cold this time of year and without a heater the water could be in the 60's, is that too cold? I don't want to shorten his life span but I also don't want him to be cold.

Love it!! do they eat plants?

I don't have any live plants in there at the moment so I'm not completely sure but I'm pretty sure this type of snail doesn't eat plants.

Please show us his shell?

I just recently got a mystery snail too, but mine is gold! I fine the pattern of his "foot" to be a marbley marvel :heart

:rofl

He has been sleeping under the wood all afternoon I have a pic from yesterday where you can see the front of the shell where it looks a little damaged. I also have a pic that I just took of him under the wood, you can see more of the back. It also looks like there is new growth since yesterday. It looks way more blue but it could also just be the angle. I also have a pic of the whole tank. I'm not happy with how it looks but for now it's OK I guess. And please don't mind the glass or should I say acrylic. It has some scratches and some hard algae spots that I don't want to scrap off and scratch the acrylic even more. Oh and the background is just a piece of cardboard so don't mind that either, lol.

dzclso.jpg

j7gv12.jpg

jfb3io.jpg

He should be fine as long as the temperature doesn't drop below 65*. I have a golden one in the goldfish tank I keep in my bedroom. I don't have a heater in that tank nor do I turn the heat on in that room. The tank usually sits between 68-70* in winter and mine does just fine scooting all over the place.

As for plant eating I've heard that they can/do, However this is the second apple snail I've had and neither ate my plants. They both enjoyed any veg I put in the tank though.

Love the new photos too. The more I look at your guy the more I want to get a black/blue one for the tank in my living room!

I love your photo's. He's beautiful.

Your not qt'ing your snail? (as in changing the water every day for at least a week)

I qt all my snails for 8 days in case they carried any nasties in their shell. But then again I have a betta and live plants also. So maybe people don't qt a snail when they are by themselves. (I don't know. :( )

He should be fine as long as the temperature doesn't drop below 65*. I have a golden one in the goldfish tank I keep in my bedroom. I don't have a heater in that tank nor do I turn the heat on in that room. The tank usually sits between 68-70* in winter and mine does just fine scooting all over the place.

As for plant eating I've heard that they can/do, However this is the second apple snail I've had and neither ate my plants. They both enjoyed any veg I put in the tank though.

Love the new photos too. The more I look at your guy the more I want to get a black/blue one for the tank in my living room!

I think it may get a little colder than that, maybe closer to 60. I'll keep the heater in for now. It's keeping it around 78 but once the weather starts warming up I'll unplug it so it can drop a little and hopefully be closer to 70 or so.

You have inspired me to start my own snail thread :teehee

Posted :)

I love your photo's. He's beautiful.

Your not qt'ing your snail? (as in changing the water every day for at least a week)

I qt all my snails for 8 days in case they carried any nasties in their shell. But then again I have a betta and live plants also. So maybe people don't qt a snail when they are by themselves. (I don't know. :( )

Since my tank isn't cycled I will be doing daily water changes anyway. I may put some media from an established tank to help jump start the cycle though. But since he is the only living thing in there I don't think it's important to do the water changes for any parasitic reasons.

What a great pic! Definitely a contender for Aquatic Photo of the Month! :)

Wow really? Just think how much better it would look if I could take good pictures :P

My snails burrowed in the sand when it got to be at the lower end of 60. That's when I bought a small heater. My snails don't eat living plants. In fact, they only begin to eat veggies after they have been in the water 24 hours (one of the reasons I feed them away from the goldfish). I think they prefer vegetable matter that has started to break down.

My snails burrowed in the sand when it got to be at the lower end of 60. That's when I bought a small heater. My snails don't eat living plants. In fact, they only begin to eat veggies after they have been in the water 24 hours (one of the reasons I feed them away from the goldfish). I think they prefer vegetable matter that has started to break down.

That's good to know about the decaying veggies! :)

• Supporter

Nooo! Lol I just lost a page worth of information I had typed up for you. :( and I dont have time too again right now as im getting ready to leave. But ive been doing a lot of research on these sails a long with raising some babies right now so with you have any questions ask and when I get back ill see about giving you an answer :) but I wish you luck with your new pet. They are really interesting creatures.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Nooo! Lol I just lost a page worth of information I had typed up for you. :( and I dont have time too again right now as im getting ready to leave. But ive been doing a lot of research on these sails a long with raising some babies right now so with you have any questions ask and when I get back ill see about giving you an answer :) but I wish you luck with your new pet. They are really interesting creatures.

Aww I hate it when that happens. I have actually had snails before but I had Colombian ramshorns. They used to breed like rabbits, are these snails the same way? It's been a while (around 5 years) since I had snails and I actually remember most of their care. I know they need calcium and to have things like cuttle bone for them. They like things like different types of veggies and I even used give mine leaves from my maple tree. Plus I supplemented that stuff with algae waffers and whatever else my fish missed. That's all good for my new guy, right? Since, at least for now, he is in a tank alone how much food should I be giving him? I don't want to over feed especially since the tank isn't cycled yet but I also don't want to under feed. The first night I gave him a piece of a Reptomin turtle stick, the next night a shrimp pellet and last night I gave him some romaine lettuce. He went right for it but I don't think he ate much of it. I ripped off more then I had wanted and I don't remember how big the piece actually was so he may have eaten more then I think. I still have it in there in case he likes it better once it gets old better then was it was fresh.

• Supporter

Yeah the basics are simple. Ph 7.6-8.2. Need calcium. This can come from a variety of things. Mine luke freeze dried shrimp from time to time. They will goto the top to eat them. They do need a significant amount of protein. I like to give some bloodworms from time to time. But any good fish food would meet that need really. I also feed omega one algae wafers. They love them.

They are sexual breeders so you would need a male and female snail. Then they lay the eggs above the water line so if you dont want them they can be easily removed. My feeding is per adult snail one algae waffer every other day and bloodworms once a week. (This is the tank without fish that eat pellet food.) They also eat the shrimp from time to time when the leaf fish leaves some. As for the veggies I dont use fresh veggies that often due to useing the algae wafers. How bug is your guy? He still has the spots right now so I know he is not fully mature. He will lose them after he does. They can reach the size if a golf ball so id just do the one in that tank size. Although if you upgraded (at least 5 gal) you could do two and they are social snails when in groups.

Thats hust some basics off the top of my head. But feel free to ask as many questions as you have im sure we can answer them.

Oh and btw they can live in water 50°F but they slow down their movements and growth. This also can cause thickening of the shell that is concidered by many as unattractive.

Yeah the basics are simple. Ph 7.6-8.2. Need calcium. This can come from a variety of things. Mine luke freeze dried shrimp from time to time. They will goto the top to eat them. They do need a significant amount of protein. I like to give some bloodworms from time to time. But any good fish food would meet that need really. I also feed omega one algae wafers. They love them.

They are sexual breeders so you would need a male and female snail. Then they lay the eggs above the water line so if you dont want them they can be easily removed. My feeding is per adult snail one algae waffer every other day and bloodworms once a week. (This is the tank without fish that eat pellet food.) They also eat the shrimp from time to time when the leaf fish leaves some. As for the veggies I dont use fresh veggies that often due to useing the algae wafers. How bug is your guy? He still has the spots right now so I know he is not fully mature. He will lose them after he does. They can reach the size if a golf ball so id just do the one in that tank size. Although if you upgraded (at least 5 gal) you could do two and they are social snails when in groups.

Thats hust some basics off the top of my head. But feel free to ask as many questions as you have im sure we can answer them.

Oh and btw they can live in water 50°F but they slow down their movements and growth. This also can cause thickening of the shell that is concidered by many as unattractive.

Interesting about the temp. I've always been warned not to let them go below 65*. You learn something new every day!