Wallace is Bottom Sitting :(

pandamanda111

Hello!

I need some help with wallie, my chunky female fantail. I did a water change two days ago, and she has since been bottom sitting. I was very busy for a couple days before yesterday, and so I am not sure if she was acting strangely before the change or not.

No physical signs of an injury or anything, she's just sitting there in the corner.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank

* Ph Level, Tap

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master test kit.

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 45 gallons, probably about a year

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 AC70s, no carbon

* How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 75-80%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Two days ago, 75%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Two fish, a ryukin and an oranda, each 2.5 -3 inches without their tails.

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime &flourish

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega one once daily

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 8 rounds prazi a bit less than a year ago

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Bottom sitting

I don't have temp or water info at the moment because I'm at school, but I get home at 3 and will test them then! Sorry I just wanted to get this up asap before I forgot.

More info later, I promise!

Thanks,

Mandie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mandible!!!

In addition to the water info, I have a few questions that may or may not help figuring out what's going on:

Do you use the Flourish regularly? How much and how often and when was the last time?

How much do you feed at once?

When was the last time you cleaned the substrate and filter media?

Could you get some photos, or even better video of her and the full tank?

No, she isn't eating either. I forgot to mention that! :(

Mandible!!!

In addition to the water info, I have a few questions that may or may not help figuring out what's going on:

Do you use the Flourish regularly? How much and how often and when was the last time?

How much do you feed at once?

When was the last time you cleaned the substrate and filter media?

Could you get some photos, or even better video of her and the full tank?

Hey fang!! I use flourish occasionally, maybe once every two or three weeks? really only when I remember. I used it last water change, about 1/3 of a capful

I feed about 12-15 pieces, they're the big omega one pellets

Is it possible to clean sand? :o uh oh

I clean the filter media about once a month, it's due for a cleaning today I believe.

Yes, the second I get home I will post some pictures for you :)

Thanks for your help!

Edited by pandamanda111

Ah ok, sand. Sand generally does not get as dirty, but CAN get dirty. The best way to clean it is to stir it up heavily before starting to siphon out the water. Just wait until most of the sand settles, and all the debris still floats around. If you have not done that over an extended period of time, I would recommend to remove the fish during the water change. Just in case there may be a pocket of anaerobic bacteria or similar, and then do a 150% water change (drain as much as you can after stirring the sand, refill halfway and drain it all again, refill again and put fish back in).

Filter media must be clean enough. Are you cleaning the filter itself too? Like the filter box that holds the media, as well as the intake tubes and impellers?

I'm just throwing out random thoughts, thinking of anything that possibly could affect the fish.

The Flourish does not seem to be an issue in your case, you are not using even half the recommended dose.

10-15 pellets per fish or total? The large pellets seem very large to me. Even for my 10+ inch single tails I use the Omega One small sinking pellets. The large ones just look like they would hold way too much air etc. But then again, I never tried them so I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about here.

Could anything else have gotten into the tank somehow? Like for example your parents using some air freshener in the room etc? Is the window in the room open a lot? I'd definitely recommend doing another big water change as soon as possible. Just reserve some current water for testing, of course.

I had a similar case once with one of my fish. Perfect water, everything clean etc, but I woke up to a fish bottom sitting like it's the end of the world. I did an emergency water change at 6am, added 0.05% salt, and within a couple hours the fish was back to normal. I still don't know what made her mopey that day, but the water change and tad of salt certainly made her feel better again.

Still, let's see what your water parameters are :) Sometimes nitrate spikes can hide and catch you by surprise.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Thanks Heidi! Me too :)

Sounds good, fang. I'll try my best! That's food for both of them, not for one. I soak them before feeding so air shouldn't be a problem, and they always miss the small ones!

Heading home now so I'll post the params in 45mins to hour :)

Should I add salt if params are good?

Edited by pandamanda111

I've just put them both in a bucket so I can do the water change, and wallie looks fine, but Norton has a big red patch on his tail and a very small split in one of his fins. I've never noticed before because he is so orange!

IMG_1257.jpg wallie bottom sitting

IMG_1258.jpg both in the bucket

IMG_1261.jpg norton's redness- excuse the flash!

Edited by pandamanda111

:( :( things aren't looking good :( :( she's all bent, scales raised, lying on her side :( I give her another hour :(

What can I do for norton to make sure he doesn't get the same thing?

Edited by pandamanda111