MASSIVE ORANDAS !

Elisa

I was browsing youtube and came across this video, I was shocked at how absolutely HUGE these orandas are!
They're like the size of grapefruits :blink:

Anyways, just thought I'd share :rolleyes:
(secretly hoping Mochi grows up to be this big lol)

They are huge!! And pretty to boot! I think even when seeing huge fish that it's important to realize that size can actually be a detriment to overall lifespan rather than a benefit. The key is healthy fish and healthy and large are not always interchangeable.

It's the green water :teehee

must be ! :P

They are huge!! And pretty to boot! I think even when seeing huge fish that it's important to realize that size can actually be a detriment to overall lifespan rather than a benefit. The key is healthy fish and healthy and large are not always interchangeable.

Hadn't thought of it that way (it makes sense though).... I'd take healthy and happy fish over giant ones any day ;)

I'm not sure how size can be a detriment if the fish are raised properly and have adequate space? Given the right conditions, the fish simply get as big as they should get.

Edited by jmetzger72

I'm not sure how size can be a detriment if the fish are raised properly and have adequate space? Given the right conditions, the fish simply get as big as they should get.

Exactly.

I think it is more of a problem when fish get that size quickly rather than over a longer period of time.

That being said, Clementine is getting there fast... she is a two-hander.

Exactly.

I think it is more of a problem when fish get that size quickly rather than over a longer period of time.

How old is clementine/how long did it take her to reach two-hander status? lol

Exactly.

How old is clementine/how long did it take her to reach two-hander status? lol

I assume I got her at age 4 months, so she is about 2 years old now. I have had her for 1 year and 7 months, I believe. She went from a bit over an inch in body-length to around 5+ inches body-length in that time. This has me worried, honestly. She is really growing quickly, and I am hoping it is not too quickly for her body to handle.

Edited by ChelseaM

I assume I got her at age 4 months, so she is about 2 years old now. I have had her for 1 year and 7 months, I believe. She went from a bit over an inch in body-length to around 5+ inches body-length in that time. This has me worried, honestly. She is really growing quickly, and I am hoping it is not too quickly for her body to handle.

Oh wow ! That is some fast growth, however I can see from your videos that you are giving her the best possible care- and she definitely was given an awesome amount of space from the get-go :D

I think what pearlscaleperfect meant was it is extremely unhealthy for fish to reach that size in a span of a few months (via feedings every 3 hours and crazy stuff like that...)

All I know is if I was a goldfish, I'd want to be one of yours :teehee

My local Psmart has Three really big goldies (I assume someone surrendered them) 2 are Fantail & 1 Oranda. They want $30 each. I have been thinking about getting one. But I just can't decide. I don't know how old they are or anything about their past....not that you USUALLY know anything about a pet store fish. Anyway, I am torn as to whether I'll get one or not.

I have an oranda about the size of those. Believe it or not, I got it from a Petco donation tank about 1.5 years ago. The owner had 5 fish of nearly that size in a 20 gallon tank. So I guess fish can grow large in a grossly overstocked tank.