Should I use this food?

BronwynH

This question comes with a bit of a story:

I found out about a LPS that was going out of business. I'd never heard of it before, but decided to go down and see what I could pick up. The ad said no reasonable offer refused, so I figured it was worth checking out. I managed to get a bunch of frozen blood worms for $5/package -- all the other stores in the area charge $6.95-6.99. I probably could have paid less, but felt badly for the owner having to close his business and presumably sole source of income due to illness.

Anyway, on check out the owner's friend who was taking care of the store in his absence offered to throw in a package of fish pellets for free. It had been given to them by a sales rep and wasn't one of the brands they carry. I have also never heard of it. I accepted the food, but am sceptical.

My concerns are twofold.

1) The package was open. Presumably they used it to feed some of their fish stock (I saw angelfish and guppies). Very little is actually missing. I don't really suspect product tampering, but you never know. If I knew the owners I wouldn't be concerned, but as I've said I'd never even heard of the store before.

2) I haven't heard of the food.

it's called Martin's Profishent Tropical Fish Food and is described as 'mini slow sinking pellets' and 'low carbohydrate food'.

The ingredient list is:

fish meal, wheat, soy protein concentrate, wheat germ, krill, corn gluten meal, fish oil (preserved with ethoxyquin), spirulina, soybean oil, alfalfa meal, brewer's yeast, bentonite (montmorillonite clay), guar gum, l-ascorbyal 2-monophosphate (vitamin C), rice hulls, calcium carbonate, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E, garlic powder, zinc sulphate, astaxanthin, niacinimide, calcium iodate, copper sulphate, calcium pantothenate, vitamin K, mineral oil, biotin, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, vitamin B12, vitamin D3, vitamin A.

Crude protein (min.) 46%, crude fat (min.) 12%, crude fibre (max.) 3%, moisture (max.) 10%, ash (max.) 8%, phosphorus (min.) 1%, vit. A (min) 8,000 IU/kg, vit D3 (min.) 2,800 IU/kg, vit. C (min.) 1,050 IU/kg, vit. E (min.) 240 IU/kg

In addition to my goldfish my husband has a tropical tank with ghost shrimp and mollies. If anyone has any insight/opinions about whether or not to use the food and if so which critters it'd be good for I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for reading.

This may just be overly-cautious me talking but I would not use an open bag of fish food from someone I didn't know.

Also, that pellet is really high in grains. I see wheat as the second ingredient. This doesn't make it very healthy for goldfish, let alone fish in general.

I was feeling iffy about the open package myself, but thought I might be overly paranoid. Glad someone else agrees! I also wondered about the apparent quantity of carbs, although the package said low carb so I thought maybe I was overreacting to the different types of carb. But since I'm not the only one I shall follow my instinct and not feed it.

I don't think I'm going to feed it to my goldfish - just too many unknowns. But I showed my husband this thread and he says he might use it for his tropicals. Most of the mollies are babies right now, but once they're fully grown they should be able to eat it. He feeds them a fairly varied diet, so perhaps a bit of wheat now and then might not be so bad.

When I am in doubt or have something that is "old" or whatever I usually take it to the park.......the pond fish are huge & ALWAYS gulp down ANYTHING! AND the ducks eat anything as wel!

As for my own fish I use advice given to me along time ago...."If in doubt throw it out!!"

Unfortunately I do not know of any local goldfish ponds. Even if i did they're be frozen over at this point (or as close to as is safe)!

My husband has decided to use the food - his other foods are very high protein so he's not worried about the grains. Also there is a copper compound in the food so he's hoping that negatively affects his snail infestation (they arrived with some taiwan moss despite multiple rinsings)