Black Diamond

Hidr

OK so I am thinking about adding sand to the goldfish tank. I was reading that Black Diamond is good for topping soil for el natural tanks. Not putting in the soil but was thinking of tring it cause I really dislike the way my tank bottom looks right now.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&productId=14286&langId=-1&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=&top_category=&urlLangId=&cm_vc=-10005

I have heard it has sharp edges, but I think as long as you do not have a bottom sitter or cory cats, it should be fine. I've read the 30-60 size is softer than the 20-40, but it is dirtier also.

Well, I think it comes in a few sizes and there are conflicting reports on whether the sharp edges are really that sharp. I don't think the TMS in my tank is all that rounded, and in fact actually seems pretty sharp to the touch.

hhmm. I've never heard of it. Let us know what you think when you go look at it in person and if you get it.

I recently purchased Petco's black sand for $5.00 for 5 pounds OR it was around 18.99 for 20 pounds. I love it.

Take a look at it. https://www.google.com/search?q=black+diamond+sand+for+aquarium&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS509US509&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yrgGU9TyJoqq2wXIi4G4Dw&ved=0CGAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=899

I read up on this stuff when the subject came up here before. I didn't find anyone who had used it and had a problem. You certainly can't beat the price.

Hmmm don't think I want jagged edges. If I was ok with that I could use my fluorite left over from my planted tanks.

I'd just like to add my 2cents and say that flourite is definitely not 'too sharp' for goldies. I use it in my 55 with goldies because I plant and have never had issues of any kind, they treat it like any other substrate. :)

Hmmm don't think I want jagged edges. If I was ok with that I could use my fluorite left over from my planted tanks.

I'd just like to add my 2cents and say that flourite is definitely not 'too sharp' for goldies. I use it in my 55 with goldies because I plant and have never had issues of any kind, they treat it like any other substrate. :)

Now this is very good to hear. I well clean what I have and put it in the tank.

Now this is very good to hear. I well clean what I have and put it in the tank.

I was hesitant initially but it's been well over a year now and I've never had a problem. :)