This is what is killing my fry (need identified)

goldiegeek

Hi Guys,

Finally got some shots of whatever is killing my fry. I'm hoping someone can identify it for me. Batch 11 is now infected and I want to put an end to this.

Here's some shots, sorry, one is really bright.

IMG_3061_zps72d84868.jpg

IMG_3062_zpsd97b8484.jpg

IMG_3052_zps9e95ed0f.jpg

IMG_3053_zps3f3f0b95.jpg

IMG_3039_zps824326ec.jpg

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? APi liquid
  • * Water temperature? 73
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 5 gallon fry tank running 2 weeks
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? SeaPora sponge
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% daily
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 two week old fry
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? None, spring water
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? bbs, First Bites
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fungusy looking strings, worms?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? As it progresses, they become bent and stop eating

are you showing us that white stringy looking thing? it would be great if you have or can find someone who has a microscope and do some investigating on what i could be.

I wish I knew someone. Maybe it's time for me to get one...this is batch 11 with the same situation...

• Admin

did you clean/disinfect the tank before adding the fry?

what kind of food are you using?

was that sponge filter used before and if so did you clean it first after the other batch?

did you clean/disinfect the tank before adding the fry?

what kind of food are you using?

was that sponge filter used before and if so did you clean it first after the other batch?

I did a 1:19 bleach cleanse. BBS and First Bites are what they are eating. I bought a new sponge filter this round because I was paranoid, even after disinfecting. I have some still in a container that are showing the same symptoms. Something is just taking over...

When does that first appear (how many days old)? Does it tend to be right about the same time with each batch? Does it affect all the fry? Has it been the same parents with each batch or do you have several fish that have "contributed" to your fry?

When does that first appear (how many days old)? Does it tend to be right about the same time with each batch? Does it affect all the fry? Has it been the same parents with each batch or do you have several fish that have "contributed" to your fry?

It starts anytime after 1 week, but definitely by week 3. Different parents/mixes. It affects all of the fry. I have had 0 out of about 100+ fry survive.

I cannot offer any valuable input but I just wanted to wish you best of luck in solving this mystery. It is horrible that they keep dying like this. I hope you find the remedy and get to rise beautiful and healthy fry! :hug

Hi Gg, sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your fry. Three weeks old are normally at a critical stage of development and can get sick very easily. Right now what you need is quick action if not you'll likely to lose most of them.

First cull all those that already look crooked, those tiny ones, bent body, swollen gills( fungus like attachments) and those can't swim..eg sitting at bottom...they are goners I'm afraid.

Then clean out your 5g with just water and remove the sponge filter ( you don't need that and besides it's also a source of contamination).

Fill up to 50% capacity and add salt 0.3% .use airstone... No filter!

Start one round of Prazi the next day. I am afraid you may also have some "good" ones starting to die but don't panic... Just remove them

It'll take a couple of days before it can be brought until control.

Do 100% w/cs daily and add back salt and Prazi accordingly. Feed sparingly if got appetite or purge if not

I have just helped my friend stabilized his oranda fry four days ago. He did like what I mentioned but he used 0.5% salt. His fry are also three weeks old and much bigger.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

So sorry this keeps happening. Hope you can get someone to help.

Someone mentioned filling your five gallon half full. I did this with my fry when young. Read that they can't handle the pressure of deep water (deep to them) and level should not exceed six inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Gg, sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your fry. Three weeks old are normally at a critical stage of development and can get sick very easily. Right now what you need is quick action if not you'll likely to lose most of them.

First cull all those that already look crooked, those tiny ones, bent body, swollen gills( fungus like attachments) and those can't swim..eg sitting at bottom...they are goners I'm afraid.

Then clean out your 5g with just water and remove the sponge filter ( you don't need that and besides it's also a source of contamination).

Fill up to 50% capacity and add salt 0.3% .use airstone... No filter!

Start one round of Prazi the next day. I am afraid you may also have some "good" ones starting to die but don't panic... Just remove them

It'll take a couple of days before it can be brought until control.

Do 100% w/cs daily and add back salt and Prazi accordingly. Feed sparingly if got appetite or purge if not

I have just helped my friend stabilized his oranda fry four days ago. He did like what I mentioned but he used 0.5% salt. His fry are also three weeks old and much bigger.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Jeff!

I think Jeff has given you some good suggestions. You might also want to re-read the comments that Michael made to you in the Jan 14 thread at post number 6: http://www.kokosgold...on-fry-killers/

He also offered this:

Fish fry are so delicate even a single big nematode fluke can start the process of the follow on after bite infection which causes mucus build up and fry death. salt flush folowed by a mild antibiotic bath can sometimes help. But best solution is to ,gulp, chuck them all out and begin over with parents treated for fluke and then the eggs in fluke meds from day one. at least that is how I do it with great results.

I hope this helps :)

Edited by jmetzger72

I don't have much experience with fry. But, I'm looking into finding some answers for you :)

Thanks so much. I have googled until I couldn't google anymore. I figured it had to be common, but I guess not...

I'm thinking parasite or bacteria.

Can anyone tell me what the most effective, broadest spectrum anitbacterial medicaton is?

:hug Sarah, I'm so sorry this keeps happening. I am glad, though, you were able to get pics. When you described it before, that's about what I thought it would look like. But, I'm sorry I'm not any help with diagnosis. At least you know you aren't seeing things. What a lousy thing to have to deal with. I would definitely look at the main tank you are going to breed from and start treatment from there. The parents must carry whatever this parasite is and just have enough immunity that they aren't showing signs. Good luck!

Is this what they look like up close? qyhe9adu.jpg

Is this what they look like?

Are they visibly on the fish?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It's possible. What I usually see id a white thing dangling from vent or gills with three balls on it. Could be segments. *shivers*. What are these guys? Planaria?