Oh no. Clampimg and scratching on the bottom

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the treatment plan I am supposed to add another dose of prazi today. But then I double dosed yesterday.

Also since I am cycling the tank and my nutrites are building up fast I will probably have to do a wc today. Need to test the water parameters first. Do I need to add prazi again. And the salt?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Hi motherredcap and fantailfan,

They seem happy this morning. Came up to greet me and beg for food when I came in the room.

No clamping.

All seems in order. More tonight.

And yes it was a late night :P Fishies taking up all my time.

:rockon

According to the treatment plan I am supposed to add another dose of prazi today. But then I double dosed yesterday.

Also since I am cycling the tank and my nutrites are building up fast I will probably have to do a wc today. Need to test the water parameters first. Do I need to add prazi again. And the salt?

Please test the water and post results. I'll let you know from there. :D

So tonight's values are:

Ph 8.2 (it's going up which I find a bit worrying)

Ammonia 0.25 (why do I suddenly have ammonia. It was at 0 all the time before)

Nitrite 0 to 0.25 (kind of a purple blJosh colour. Same as yesterday night. I hope I didn't kill my cycle)

Nitrate 20ppm (a little redder than yesterday)

Temp 72F

Sorry that took a while. I had to clean my flat first

Those numbers look good. Nitrites didn't go up and nitrates look a little more red so I think the nitrite is just being converted. As far as ammonia, your cycle is not established (obviously :teehee ) so you might see little blips here and there. I wouldn't worry about it unless it really starts to rise.

For today, let's just dose Amquel (single dose). That will take care of the ammonia and nitrites (the salt is also helping the fish with the nitrites). I would rather not double dose Amquel if we don't have to. Maybe just check the ammonia and nitrite in the morning before leaving and if they are rising even more do another single dose?

Other than that, do nothing. :nana You're already double dosed on prazi so no need to add more and the salt will stay at 0.3%. :D

:nana

Hi fantailfan. Thanks for that. Will follow your advi've promptly. Could my cycle really be moving into nitrates already (crosses her fingers. Please please please lol)

Btw I ordered prime together with my prazi order. So hopefully that will arrive soon.

Does salt make the ph rise? I was going to test my tap water

Should I add all of this to the cycle thread?

Oh good. I was hoping you'd get some Prime. :lol2 I'd feel more comfortable with double dosing that if we need to. I"d certainly use up the Amquel once you're done cycling though. It's a good product.

Salt will not affect your pH. Test your tap. Do you know your KH? :idont

I'm fine with you just posting in one thread for now if you'd like . . . I guess there is no sense in posting the same thing twice and answering it twice. I already :blahblah too much. :rofl3

So the tap water results are

Ph

Ammonia 0.25 (maybe the ammonia cones from the tap but I was hoping my tank could deal with it. Oh well. Hopefully just a blip.)

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20 to 40 ppm (probavlty explains the slight rise in the tank)

I still haven't received my gh kh kit unfortunately. I will post the results as soon as I do.

Yeah amquel seems to have worked ok for now. And it's cheaper here in the UK. But I thought since I'm paying for the package already and it's so cheap in the USA I might as well.

So this morning. My parameters have changed.

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0.5

Nitrate 40

So I didn't kill my cycle. I fed them bloodworms yesterday. So I think that might have gone straight into the bitrites. I'm going to dose amquel because I don't have time for a wc this morning

Hey Kat. They are doing good. Water iaramwters were skyrocketing yesterday night when I got back late and they weren't moving much. But after the wc and moving things about a bit in the tank they perked up this morning and were begging for food.

But they still suck it up and spit it out a lot. And there was a little clamping and gulping after wc yesterday

Oh, poor little guys! I hope they feel better soon and start eating properly. You are doing a great job with them :) Getting the cycle established takes a while. For me it was a sort of 2-in 1 experience: both frustrating and worrisome. I was getting fed up with those bumps in parameters and at the same time I was worried how they are going to affect health of my fish. But we got there. So hang in there! :)

Thanks Kat. Yes it is quite worrying and frustrating. I k ow the cycle is on its way but at the same time it means that fish are suffering at the moment. And every morning or evening I'm worried I'll walk to the tank and they will be dead.

• 2 weeks later...

Good. Actually I think I've noticed a huge difference in them. They are so much more active and hungry. Curious about everything I give them. Always welcoming me when I'm at the tank. Pascalle has started nipping my finger if I stick it in. No flashing. Gulping sometimes but generally when I'm standing at the aquarium, so maybe expecting food? Psscakke still spits out some food. But generally after she has gobbled up a huge amount. It seems she doesn't want Eduardo to get any so she tries to swallow everything. And then spits it out sometimes. I don't know if this is normal behaviour or not. No clamping. Very erect fins actually. And edyqrdos black edges have almost completely dissaoeared (did the salt help?)