Bloody fins, red dots and stringy poo, and bloated stomach

streading

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank).50 (water change will be done tomorrow as I am going to my moms house any min and my fish are at my dad's house.

* Nitrite Level(Tank)0

* Nitrate level(Tank)0

* Ammonia Level(Tap)1.0

* Nitrite Level(Tap)0

* Nitrate level(Tap)0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?api drops

* Water temperature? 74

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 upgraded in January

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penguin bio wheel 200(yes I know it's to small we will be upgrading it soon)

* How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week 75%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last week 25

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 ranchu about 2in long

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega one sinking pellets, a large pinch once or twice a day

* Any new fish added to the tank? Yes but he died

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I have never medicated in this tank but I used prazipro for 6 weeks when I got them in august

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Bloody streak on tail, red dot on chin, very bloated, stringy poo sometimes with bubbles in it, red vent

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Very floaty, bottom sits, swims upsidedown sometimes

My fish carlin has developed a red bloody streak in her tail she has two red dots on her chin and her poo is stringy sometimes it has bubbles oh and her vent looks red she is also bottom sitting and swimming on her side but that's normal for her pics will be posted below

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) How did the other fish die?

2) You have a few big obstacles:

First, as you are already aware, the filter isn't sufficient for this tank. Second, your tank isn't cycled and has fish in it. These two things combined are going to make it hard to get your water parameters where they need to be in order to keep your fish healthy. I think you are going to have to really up your water changes to the largest possible % every other day with Prime double dosed on the days in between until the tank cycles. And the sooner you can upgrade the filter, the better. My third concern is the huge difference between your tap pH and the tank pH. How are you handling this?

Edited by jmetzger72

The tank pH is too low for GF. You need to buffer your water and get it up to 7 at least. :)

To add to this...the stress of dropping 10x from tap to tank pH is not good for the overall health of your fish. So, I would buffer the system ASAP.

First, as you are already aware, the filter isn't sufficient for this tank. Second, your tank isn't cycled and has fish in it. These two things combined are going to make it hard to get your water parameters where they need to be in order to keep your fish healthy. I think you are going to have to really up your water changes to the largest possible % every other day with Prime double dosed on the days in between until the tank cycles. And the sooner you can upgrade the filter, the better. My third concern is the huge difference between your tap pH and the tank pH. How are you handling this?

The tank is cycled it is just going through a bump ufortunetly it usualy stays consistantly at zero. I had no idea about the differance in ph i just got the test kit the other day and when i would bring it to the pet store to get tested and the diffetance in ph never showd up it always said both were at 7. Also We are upgrading the filter this werkend just so you know

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Oh and idk how the fish died he was helaltlhy as far as i know and one day i came home from school and he was dead it was hprrible because hw showed no symptoms

The tank pH is too low for GF. You need to buffer your water and get it up to 7 at least. :)

To add to this...the stress of dropping 10x from tap to tank pH is not good for the overall health of your fish. So, I would buffer the system ASAP.

How do i buffer the water?

The tank is cycled it is just going through a bump ufortunetly it usualy stays consistantly at zero. I had no idea about the differance in ph i just got the test kit the other day and when i would bring it to the pet store to get tested and the diffetance in ph never showd up it always said both were at 7. Also We are upgrading the filter this werkend just so you know

When you add the new filter, be sure to keep the old one running as well to hold your cycle. Once the new filter has cycled, you can remove the old one if you don't plan to run 2 filters. Depending on what you upgrade to, you may also be able to transfer some of the media. I generally recommend running 2 filters that together give you the desired GPH. This way, if one dies, the other keeps the cycle going.

Edited by jmetzger72

Until you get other advice on meds and such. Do extra water changes. Use the buffer but also find some crushed coral or sea shells for a more stable buffer.

Good luck.

Until you get other advice on meds and such. Do extra water changes. Use the buffer but also find some crushed coral or sea shells for a more stable buffer.

Good luck.

Tank you i will do both of thoes

95% water change done

I dont have a aqueon water changer, so we had to haul 75 buckets of water there and back. Phew i got my workout for the day

You are getting good advice from others. I just wanted to say I'm sorry about Carlin and healing vibes to her.

Thank you, she has had swimblatter problems in the past and now this. its so frustrating, but she is worth it i just feel so bad for her.

What filter are you going to be getting? I would recommend an Aquaclear 110 :)

How are you testing your nitrates? You need to follow the instructions carefully with this one. I know your tank isn't fully cycled completely, but you should still be seeing some nitrates as you have bacteria processing the ammonia.

Carlin has been floating/ sittiting still tail up for about five minevydyqa6.jpg

She does this every time she stops moving and she very seldom moves she just floats midwater i just relized that this might be bad. Please excuse the bad phone picture

How are you testing your nitrates? You need to follow the instructions carefully with this one. I know your tank isn't fully cycled completely, but you should still be seeing some nitrates as you have bacteria processing the ammonia.

To answer your first question i do not know what filter i will be getting but i do know it will be about 400 gph i will use the filter i already have with this one so if one filter ever stops working the other will still be going

For your second question i do just as the bottel and directions say i add 10 drops shake for 5 seconds and wait 5 min please tell me if i am doing somthing wrong

To answer your first question i do not know what filter i will be getting but i do know it will be about 400 gph i will use the filter i already have with this one so if one filter ever stops working the other will still be going

For your second question i do just as the bottel and directions say i add 10 drops shake for 5 seconds and wait 5 min please tell me if i am doing somthing wrong

Go with an AC 110 it's 500gph :). You won't regret it ;)

Oh yes. :teehee let me further explain :)

1. Add ten drops of bottle one to the test tube

2. VIGOROUSLY shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds.

3. Add ten drops to the test tube.

4. Shake for ONE minute.

5. Let it sit for 5 minutes and record results.

Edited by Mikey

Ohhhh ok. Thank you very much i will do that next time i test

Is it the same for the others as well ?

Edited by streading

Nope. Not the same.

pH: add 3 drops and shake and record

Ammonia: add 8 drops of each bottle, shake for 7-10 seconds, let sit for 7 minutes

Nitrite: add 5 drops and shake let it sit for 7 minutes and record results.

Edited by Mikey

Thank you i was letting them sit for 5 oops

Is there any treatment to help.carlin?

Please get the levels up as soon as you can :)

I just saw this does that mean i should test again right now?