Moving from one tank to another...

Elisa

Hey guys :D

So as some of you know, I am coming to the end of Mochi the oranda's quarantine period...
He has done extremely well and today we've completed his 2nd round of prazi!
(I am hoping to do rounds 3 and 4 of prazi in his 20 gallon long)...

I was wondering if you all had any tips/steps for transferring a fish from one tank to another?
If I have both water temperatures at the same temperature, can I just move him straight out and in?

Thanks in advance for the tips !

I would do a quick check of all parameters on his tank and the 20G and make sure they are very close, otherwise I would acclimate him. Temperature should be close, but that is not all that could shock him.

I would do a quick check of all parameters on his tank and the 20G and make sure they are very close, otherwise I would acclimate him. Temperature should be close, but that is not all that could shock him.

thanks !

and i knew i was forgetting something lol

i will test both tanks before i do anything and act accordingly :)

gahhhhh i'm so excited for him to have his new house ! :goldfish:

thanks !

and i knew i was forgetting something lol

i will test both tanks before i do anything and act accordingly :)

gahhhhh i'm so excited for him to have his new house ! :goldfish:

yup :). Main 2 things to transfer a fish is making sure the pH and temperature is matched. And of course making sure the ammonia/trites are at 0 and nitrates are good :)

Has Mochi made the big move yet? Everything went OK, true? Bet M. is thrilled to be in new, larger quarters.

From what I've read pH and temperature are key as above but fwiw also the closer the hardness (GH, KH) of the water in the two tanks, the easier for the fish. Supposedly if the difference is too great it can be tough on the fish. Going suddenly from really soft to really hard water is worse than going from harder to softer (?) iirc. Perhaps another poster can add to this.

Of course if the water in Mochi's tanks is from the same source and has been treated / buffered similarly most likely this isn't a concern, fortunately.

Keep us posted. Pics too!

Has Mochi made the big move yet? Everything went OK, true? Bet M. is thrilled to be in new, larger quarters.

From what I've read pH and temperature are key as above but fwiw also the closer the hardness (GH, KH) of the water in the two tanks, the easier for the fish. Supposedly if the difference is too great it can be tough on the fish. Going suddenly from really soft to really hard water is worse than going from harder to softer (?) iirc. Perhaps another poster can add to this.

Of course if the water in Mochi's tanks is from the same source and has been treated / buffered similarly most likely this isn't a concern, fortunately.

Keep us posted. Pics too!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116028-the-big-move/

What an appealing little Oranda! Nice tank. Thanks for posting link. Hadn't yet seen your other thread.

It's good you have pics. Soon it'll be hard to believe / hard to remember when he was this cute and small. He's going to be big and handsome soon.