Bullies!

kaylaj2355

Hi guys! I haven't updated in ages and I intend to soon...hopefully I can snag some photos or a video during water change tonight :) I miss you guys!

I wanted to ask any advice on bullying behavior. I got two new baby goldies (thanks Diesel!) and they were in a 10 gallon quarantine just for a bit to get used to me and hand feeding. I noticed then that the smaller of the two fish had a habit of nipping at the other's fins and just acted like a bit of a booger. By the time I moved them to the main tank, I noticed that the bigger fish's caudal fins were getting torn. I figured the extra space and new environment, along with the rest of the fish, would help the little guy lay off his pecking. Alas, it continues! Big guy is acting healthy and happy and his tail is trying super hard to grow back quickly, but it can't because little guy won't leave him alone.

Do you guys have any tips or tricks to combat this kind of thing? I moved everything around in the tank to attempt to put little guy in his place. He's just so confident and snippy! :D

Hahaha I have "booped" him on his little head a couple times! xD Just like a toddler...he appears to be made of rubber...no reaction..."We are playing now momma, hahahahahahaha!"

Chelsea, do you think a move back to QT would be good for him? Unfortunately finding a 75 gal tank divider around here is easier said than done. Though, honestly, I should order one online anyway. Would be good to have on hand. I see what you mean, though :) And it might help separating him from Perogie (got them together) and introducing him on his own.

If you find a 75 gallon tank divider let me know.

I actually started looking and found an awesome DIY suggestion for using that plastic paneling that diffuses fluorescent light fixtures. I'm going to check out a sheet tonight to see if it looks like it might work to just cut it to size!

I think separating your bully from the group for awhile and then re-introducing him would be a good start. Sometimes it helps to 'reset' the fish behaviorally.

You can also completely rearrange the tank, to create a new space for them all to adapt to.

Lastly, it may come to you removing the bully. :(

OK, a trip to the hardware store worked out! I will post a photo soon to show how I set it up :) Celly is in the main tank but separated so his fins can heal all the way and he can grow a little. Then I will reintroduce them and at that time, change the tank setup around completely. Hopefully that takes care of the nipping! Thanks for the help, guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I just saw this topic. Is it the darker greenish fish that is bullying? One if my big fish sustained an injury and one if my greenish babies is nipping at him. Just wondering if it is a "color" thing, since there was only 3 of those greenish fish.

• 2 months later...

If you find a 75 gallon tank divider let me know.

I ran into this problem too, seems like the standard stuff stops at 55...

I had my local glass shop cut a piece of plexiglass and drill a bunch of holes in it. :) I think it was around $25. You can kind of see it in this pic.

IMG_61411_zpscea473bd.jpg

OP, I've had my fish separated for awhile now. At first, I was putting the injured fish by herself, but the last time I had the divider out for cleaning, the offender ended up by himself instead when I put it back in. I left it that way for probably another week or so (sorry don't remember how long exactly). Today is the first day with them all back together, and he hasn't bothered her a bit, so I'm hopeful that it finally worked to 'reset' him as Chelsea mentions above! :D