Is it a bad idea to buy goldfish from PetSmart?

GoldieNewb

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only weird thing is the angels in the pond. I would imagine that the fish in these outdoor ponds are healthier on average than the ones stewed together in tanks inside.

Interesting thought. I do wonder why the keep the angels and goldies together... I'll ask them next time I go! :)

I still am shocked that they have their Angels and Goldfish together! News to me lol.

As far as if you should buy from PetSmart ultimately it's your decision but make sure you watch it's behavior and look for any signs of illnesses.

I don't have a PetSmart where I live just a Petco. Which at my Petco a lot of times the fish are either sick or dead. I feel bad for them especially the poor Bettas in the little cups. :/

Edited by SebastianCharlesHobbs

Typically I would say yes; however, there is always an exception to the rules. Look at the condition of the fishes available for diseases and unusual behavior. That all the advice I can give.

Edited by seishiin

• 2 weeks later...

Well the red/white teles there look beautiful! I would go for it. They seem to have much more space than a tiny 5-10 gal chain store tank. The "fungus" thing looks very similar to a mystery snail egg clutch and I wouldn't be surprised if that is what it is. When you pick your fish ask if they have a small tank or bowl so you can view the fish from the side as well before choosing. Maybe have them grab a couple so you can pick your favorite. I would also recommend getting some prazi pro for the fish no matter where you buy it from.

No, it's not a bad idea as long as your local chain appears to be treating their fish well. I've bought nearly all my fish from there, but the chain in my area is really good. I wouldn't buy anything from the nearest Petco, on the other hand, since I've seen their tanks. Also important to me is whether the store employs hobbyists (or at least people who care about learning how to care for the fish in the store). The fish are sure to be treated much better if this is the case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk