Probiotics Revisited

LisaCGold

It's been over three weeks since I made the first batch of gel food with the MitoFish probiotics. I'm not sure if the probiotics were made ineffective due to the heat of the gel food when I put the probiotics in. In any case, I've been feeding the fish this food since then. There is no floatiness and they are quite active.

The next batch of gel food I'll make sure to measure the temperature before putting in the probiotics.

It's been over three weeks since I made the first batch of gel food with the MitoFish probiotics. I'm not sure if the probiotics were made ineffective due to the heat of the gel food when I put the probiotics in. In any case, I've been feeding the fish this food since then. There is no floatiness and they are quite active.

The next batch of gel food I'll make sure to measure the temperature before putting in the probiotics.

That's about as good as we can get for our purposes, since we can't really test whether there are any colonizing, and we certainly won't do pathogen challenge trials. :yikes:rofl

Thanks for the update!

That's about as good as we can get for our purposes, since we can't really test whether there are any colonizing, and we certainly won't do pathogen challenge trials. :yikes:rofl

Thanks for the update!

Only one research project at a time please! :)

I thought I would add this note to this thread: I talked with the owner of the naturally fermented food company that makes the sauerkraut that I buy. I told her about feeding my fish the sauerkraut after a course of antibiotics and how they both ate it up but that one of the fish stopped eating it at some point (after about a week or so). This lady told me that the fish probably sensed it didn't need it any more--that the probiotics from the sauerkraut had done its job and replenished the gut bacteria. Interesting thought. I have read about animals eating certain plants in order to heal from sickness. They only eat just enough of the plant to do its thing. Maybe this is what happened to Whale.

I thought I would add this note to this thread: I talked with the owner of the naturally fermented food company that makes the sauerkraut that I buy. I told her about feeding my fish the sauerkraut after a course of antibiotics and how they both ate it up but that one of the fish stopped eating it at some point (after about a week or so). This lady told me that the fish probably sensed it didn't need it any more--that the probiotics from the sauerkraut had done its job and replenished the gut bacteria. Interesting thought. I have read about animals eating certain plants in order to heal from sickness. They only eat just enough of the plant to do its thing. Maybe this is what happened to Whale.

That's an interesting thought. :)

I remember reading research on this type of thing in my UnderGrad degree. The general pattern is that animals (most research used rats) will in fact choose to eat the food based on their current nutritional needs, provided that the total number of food options is limited. (So it doesn't really apply to humans anymore, given that our eating options are virtually infinite! Just because you crave that hamburger doesn't mean you need it :rofl). The probiotic case is different because the probiotics are just helpful beasties living in the gut rather than a nutrient per se, but it would be interesting to see if the concepts transfer...