Goldfish Poo

Hi guys,

So as I am traveling down on the train back to London, i cannot help but think about my fish and wonder if they are ok. (Buggers have truly burried themselves into my heart.)

Anyway I have now on numerous occasions read the question what does your fish's poo look like after a healthquestion.

I noticed that my fish sometimes took quite a log time to poo. Trailing a long reddish string around them for a while. So I was wondering if they might be constipated?

What does normal goldfish poo look like?

Can i use their poo as a diagnostic tool? can i see something is wrong with them by observing their poo?

What are you feeding, how much, and how often?

Long poo usually comes from feeding too much, or as a sign of constipation.

Color depends on feeding as well as can help you tell if there are problems with the fish.

Poo texture also plays a role in diagnosing their health and if what they're eating is right for them. (I.e. thin threads, poo with bubbles, poo with no casing, etc.)

From what I read, poops should be short and food-colored or very close to it.

Yes, they're probably just a little constipated. As long as the stool is food-colored and consistent, it isn't really a major cause for concern, although you may want to fast and/or feed veggies such for a few days to help your fish get more regular. Normal poop is usually short, medium thickness and doesn't trail the fish for too long.

Certain types of stool, particularly white stool, can be linked to health problems such as internal infections and parasites. So, unless you've fed your fish something white (brine shrimp for example), watch out for that.

Here's an article that discusses goldfish stool a little more in depth:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/GoldfishPoop.html

Good luck :)

Magiecat: thanks for the link. Duh. Didn't find it. lol

I feed my fish saki hikary pellets. They used to be fed flakes. When I got them i changed their diet. They are still adapting to it I think.

The colour of their stool is pretty similar to the colour of the pellets. Phew.

I did feed them salad (they weren't impressed) and zuchini (that went down better).

I might try peas. and the fasting.

Thanks for the advice

My fish poop light reddish orange when I feed them Hikari pellets too. They should be pooping the same color as the food you are feeding them, and that applies in this case. Just cut back a bit if the poop is extremely long, but not too much. I cut back way too much in an effort to avoid trailing poop, and was actually underfeeding. I am feeding more now and my fish are doing great!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My fish were having constipation and one in particular would have long thin trailing poo. I could almost always peep in and they would have poo stuck ><. I was fasting and giving peas and bloodworms here and there. It wasn't helping. I made a gel food from the floater recipes and now no one has trailing poo and the poo I see on the bottom of the tank is the same color as the gel food and short and fat. I definitely recommend making your own. I have like half a years supply now lol.