sweet potato & shrimp

TikiLola

I don't have goldfish,but my daughter and her fiancee just got a few and I thought I might try my hand at making gel food for them.

The only real problem, is I HATE the smell of fish/seafood with a passion. :blush: The idea of cooking salmon or anything like that is already making me queasy. :blink: There are these little shrimp that are used in making shrimp salad that don't really smell, that I used to feed Lola :heart Could I substitute them instead? or is there a good chance they don't have enough vitamins?

The other question is can I use sweet potato? Sweet potato, carrots and pumpkin are the veggie base for my bird's mash at the moment, and the dogs also love it, so I was wondering if it would be ok to use for the fish?

Edited by TikiLola

I don't know about the shrimp, since it is an aquatic protein source I think it might be okay though. I'd wait for a Mod to confirm.

As for the sweet potato, I would be worried since it has a lot of sugar. Too much sugar is not a good recommendation for goldfish food. I would stick to a base that is mostly aquatic plant matter or algae. Right now, with Alex's help, I am testing out a mix of Repashy Super Green and baby brine shrimp. I do recommend the Repashy brand foods as a base. They are quick and easy, and once the food cools it doesn't have a smell.

Edited by ChelseaM

I don't think that the little shrimps are super nutritious (and I'm always careful about the fluid that the shrimp are floating in). If they are not preserved in anything, they are probably alright. We are still waiting for Alex to release his nutrition paper... Oh DnAlex!!!... but, as Chelsea has said, we have come to expect that it will advise that we go light on the protein sources.

That said, Newton loves a bit of egg white now and then. We have given him small amounts of white fish (who knows what it is called in English, but sei in Norwegian). I don't cook it, just flake some of it in a cup and poor boiling water over it.

I don't think that the little shrimps are super nutritious (and I'm always careful about the fluid that the shrimp are floating in). If they are not preserved in anything, they are probably alright. We are still waiting for Alex to release his nutrition paper... Oh DnAlex!!!... but, as Chelsea has said, we have come to expect that it will advise that we go light on the protein sources.

That said, Newton loves a bit of egg white now and then. We have given him small amounts of white fish (who knows what it is called in English, but sei in Norwegian). I don't cook it, just flake some of it in a cup and poor boiling water over it.

You're going to be really surprised regarding proteins, Susanne. :teehee

Is he pro-protein? I thought he was going to be anti-protein because of the gnomic remarks about favourite foods being on the 'go lightly' list (and the frequency of blood worms on the forum). :rofl

For Newton, the only food that has ever floated him was Soilent Green, even when tested in tiny quantities.

:rofl I'm neither anti- or pro- protein, since this is a necessary component of goldfish foods. What we do know from actual studies is that the minimum protein content in a goldfish diet should be at least 35%.

There are 10 necessary (indispensable) amino acids, plus 2 semi indispensable ones, that fish need, and to get the right amount of these amino acids, you are better off with an aquatic source of protein, preferably animal.

The very large difficulty with making your own food is to get all the things that you need in there. I think the smartest way to go is to do what Chelsea is doing...making gel food, but with commercial sources, and then customizing it to her needs.

I don't think that a gel with just shrimp and sweet potatoes will be best for the goldfish in the long run.

I wasn't thinking to use just those 2 things, more like added to ....whatever. :)

And by whatever, I mean a base recipe from you guys. ;)

There are a number of really good gel food recipes on the forum in the foods section. You can use some gentler fish, like catfish, if you like. :)