Making gel food

Avepico

I am going to make some gel food for my fish. I am going to make some for each of my different fish's preferences. One mainly beef heart with some veggies for the oscar, Some with veggies, a little beef heart, fish, and shrimp for generally everyone to eat. And then there is mainly veggie just for the goldfish. I was wondering if I should add the fish and shrimp to the last recipe. Anyone have thoughts? All recipes will have spirulina, garlic, and agar agar as the binder. None of these is designed to be a staple food for any of the fish.

Primarily, cost. The price to get as much protein from shrimp as from the heart makes heart a more feasible project. My oscar is a little thing, only 3 1/2 inches or so, and I want to make sure he gets a great start to be all he can be. I don't get too caught up in "natural" food as long as I look at an overall diet that will give my fish what they need. If I went all "natural" I would need several tanks devoted to raising different live foods for him. He does love his live food though. Endlers are super yummy.

• Supporter

they all sound good alternatives if you're not sticking to one as the staple... then you can rotate the schedule so they're not all getting too much of the same thing. add some garlic to the recipe as it's good for their insides. and be sure to add mild laxative vegetables such as peas or beans to all of them, this will ensure they stay regular..

The mix of veggies I am looking at is red leaf lettuce, spinach, zuchini, carrots, peas, garlic, and acorn squash. I am going to add some NLS Thera A to the mix. I will add more peas to the veggie mix than the others.

Alex, that is exactly what I was wondering. I understand that we can go to extremes with veggies and is the reason I posted this. The veggie mix would be more of a cleanser to be part of an overall diet but I don't want to go too far. Do you think a 3/4 veggies to 1/4 meat mix would work as an occasional feeding (once or twice a week feeding based on 2-3 feedings per day) would be a decent goal? Of course this brings up the issue of issue of mixing multiple types of meals versus consistent feedings every time.

I have said this before in another thread, I feed pellets in the morning and other foods after that, work decides if they get 2 or 3 feedings. I use NLS Thera A as my goldfish pellet.

As long as you are feeding other things, then you are fine. :)

The idea is to avoid an overwhelmingly plant/veggies based diet, especially when the plants/veggies are not aquatic.

I ended up doing it with shrimp, cod, scallops, red leaf lettuce, cabbage, carrots, spinach, zuchini, acorn squash, NLS Thera A and spirulina. I realized I was out of garlic far enough along that I just went without it. They get enough with the NLS being their pellet food. I made a total of 28 cups of fish food today, it should keep them happy. They all loved their respective foods. Now I just have to cut and store it all.

I used agar. The beef heart mix for the oscar didn't gel well, but the other batches ended up quite firm. The goldfish demolished theirs and are still hunting for more.

I did give the oscar a piece of raw beef heart. My guess on size was a bit off. He was able to fit about half of it in his mouth and just swam around with it sticking out. It was a pain getting him to drop it so i could cut it up more.

A quick update. I am only a few days into adding this into the goldfishes diet, but it seems to be working well. They all love to eat it and seem more active. Even Annie, who has a history of swim bladderish problems, is swimming around like her younger self. She looks every bit the magnificent creature she is. It is way too early to deem it a long term success but the signs bode well.

Odd thought that came to mind as I watched Annie swimming around, would aquatic plants be good in a gel food? Take plants that I know the fish eat like anacharis or duckweed and blend them up with all the rest of the stuff. It seems like it would be a good addition if you have lots of extra plants, as I do.

Odd thought that came to mind as I watched Annie swimming around, would aquatic plants be good in a gel food? Take plants that I know the fish eat like anacharis or duckweed and blend them up with all the rest of the stuff. It seems like it would be a good addition if you have lots of extra plants, as I do.

If you add plants at all, aquatic ones certainly would be better than the terrestrial ones. :)