150 gallon tank fancy goldfish?

Hey everyone I used to keep goldfish,I gave up after I lost my goldfish due to an accident but I'm back and ready to try again so I bought a 150 gallon tank I also bought a rena filstar xp3 the tanks cycled I used media from my tropical fish tank just wondering can a common or comet goldfish be kept in this tank? Or should I just get fancy goldfish ? How many would be comfortable in the tank?

Welcome back to the hobby! :D

First, let me say that you can keep both single tails and fancies, or just single tails or fancies in that tank. A good number to aim for is 6-7, if you want low maintenance. :)

One Rena Filstar may not be enough filtration for a goldfish tank of that volume though.

Hi Lucky, congratulations on the new tank. :)

Firstly, you are going to want to add more filtration. Your Rena only has a flow rate of 350 GPH. On this forum we recommend 10x filtration, so for your tank you would want around 1500 gallons filtered an hour--you can get away with a little bit less when using a canister because of the added media.

You certainly can keep commons and comets if you wish. Our recommendation is 20 gallons minimum per fish, be it single or fancy tailed. Of course the more water volume you give each fish the better, but whether you under stock is up to you. These fish start off small, but they can grow quite large and produce a fair amount of waste.

Sniped by Alex.

I think 6 fish would look beautiful in a 150 gallon tank! It would also leave a little space for a fish down the road that you just "Have to have!" :)

Also...... PICS!!!!!!! :rofl

Edited by Justin

Welcome back to goldfish! What a huge tank!!

I would start off with a small number. You'll have so many opportunities to be able to say "I want that fish!!!!" and not have to debate with yourself. :teehee

Of course it's all up to you, though. :P

Sounds like you have a nice large tank to fill with gold fish.

The hardest part for me is setting a restriction on the number of fish and sticking to it.

I always see one that tempts me.

Good luck, and I hope we can see the finished product.

:)

I agree with all advice given so far. Personally I would do 6 goldfish and 1 bristlenise pleco. One other thing to consider is the male to female ratio. Perhaps 4 female and 2 males, to keep the ladies safer during spawning time. I have come to prefer all fancies in my inside tanks.

thank you everyone I am glad to back pics will be uploaded today so far in the tank I have 9 rosy red minnows and 1 orange oranda and 1 shubkin goldfish for now my current stocking level is ok. I think but before adding anymore fish I should add more filtration right?

I would really add at least one more canister. With canisters, you can go from 5-7x the tank's volume per hour for filtration. With just HOBs, we usually recommend 10x. (1500gph in your case)

You're going to want a bare minimum of 750gph total. I would recommend more, though.

Edited by ChelseaM

i have a 190 wide, witch is like 72x30x20, I keep 13 growouts and will sell 3. I keep bare bottom, fx6 and 3 double tapped pond sponge filters on a big jehhmco air pump. I do 40-50% wc each week and they are doing fine. so if your big on filtration and wc, Id say 7 at a max

Hey! :D

What a nice way to start out, having all those gallons!

May I suggest . . . buying yourself one nice expensive goldfish. Then, fill the rest of that tank with sad neglected and unwanted fish that are being given away on craigslist and many other places. It will make them (and you) very happy! Awhile ago I made a post about it here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100747-reward-yourself-and-reward-sad-goldfish/

And yes, if you want a bristlenose pleco, I would be glad to set you up, just let me know.