Oranda Fry 10 Weeks Old. Video Clips

Guest Orandaman

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Orandaman

I still have 10. 4 are still available for anyone wanting to adopt. In the end, I want to keep 2. That is all the space I have, since my wife is shopping around for Ranchus.

The fry are all across the country at this point. Some are not with members of this site. So, it's a little harder to communicate with them.

Yes, Tanya, I'd be happy to send you some. Just ask your mom to email cvbwong@sbcglobal.net me to set things up. By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I really like your Oranda. She looks a lot like Hilda.

All these guys seem to be eating machines. They also seem to be fearless. They would nibble on my nuckles when I'm cleaning cleaning the tank. It's a good thing they don't have teeth.

Devs, you are doing a better job than me at this point. I should be asking you for advice. What is your nitrate reading?

Guest amysue

Calvin--I'm with you....I think I'm missing something....my fish are bronze..about 2-3 times the size when they arrived, but no color change. I delude myself that the smallest's tail is getting orange,but barely.

I had a bit of a nitrate spike...80 from my normal 5-10, so I backed off feeding, but maybe I am not feeding enough? Truly, how can you tell? I do a 25% H20 change ever 2-4 days, so not much more I can do to keep the nitrates low, except plants, and I don't have the lighting for them.

But, I love my little fishies, and guess I just have to be patient!!

Thanks again for raising them!!

Guest Orandaman

You really can't tell whether you're over or under feeding them Amysue. They are always hungry it seems. Everytime someone stops by the tank, they all poke their noses up front waiting to be feed even though they had just been feed 30 minutes ago.

I think I'll just stick to the 2 feedings a day. Whatever they can finish in about 5 minutes.

I think you're right. We just need to be patient. They'll get their color in due time. :)

Guest Orandaman

Thanks for your support martinez14pr. You've been with us from the begining.

Here's what I found from reading "Goldfish Breeding and Genetics".

First off, the color of the fish doesn't come from the dye in the food they eat. It is determined by genetics. How intense the color and color pattern depends on nutrition and environment. It suggest that vitamin A in the diet has much to do with color enhancement.

The topic of color in goldfish breeding is very complex. The author suggest that there are two and possibly three pigments that contribute to color in goldfish. Melanin (black/brown/blue), xanthine (yellow/orange/red) and guanine (silver/metallic).

Bottom line is that we can't control what color they will become. That is determined genetically. We can however, help enhance their color development by providing them the best care we can give. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

erm, orandaman, can i be a pain and ask you to post the pics of the different stages of the fry again please. pretty please??? :flowers the album has expired again and i want to see how behind my fry is now. getting bigger quickly since i put her on the live daphnia!

Guest Orandaman

yay! shes at the day 28 stage now! a little behind but getting better. she has ich though. :( im treating it with salt though so fingers crossed she'll pull through.

Guest Orandaman

Oh blinky, I'm sorry to hear your lone fry is having problems with ich. Salt treatment is the most recommended treatment. But you'll have to continue it for at least a week to break the ich reproduction cycle. I can sent you the prescribed salt treatment by Dr. Erik Johnson if you don't already have it.

All the fry are doing well and continue to grow. The largest one is about 2 inches long head to tail. The interesting thing is that it's about to change color. That kind of break the theory I've been thinking about the smaller ones get their colors first.

They all have the distinct characteristic of getting darker and darker first. Then the dark color start to fade starting from the sides until they have the mohawk black stripe down their backs. Then they start getting color, pale orange. Then the black gets darker and start to recede towards the top and from head to tail. The black will continue to disappear while the color become more pronounce. I read the lost of black coloring in goldfish is a dominant trait. It is possible for a black or "blue" oranda to loose most or all it's black coloring.

The one I mentioned that got color first is now totally orange and the black is all gone.

See the recent pictures and you will see what I mean. Notice the one that is starting to change color. The one that is totally orange now started out the same way.

:D My babies pretty much followed that same rout except for the last one who is by far,the largest.What's funny,is that he finally did turn orange,but not the same orange as everyone else! He's got lighter oranges-different shaded oranges,and where his gills are -it's almost a creamy peachy color-I don't know it's hard to explain...I just know that he's the biggest and looks somewhat different from the others. :D

Guest amysue

My fry are still brown, brown, brown. I'm trying to not decide that I have failed as a fish keeper!!! :lol: They are growing a lot...range from 1.5-2" in size. Are active. But are brown. I cannot improve my water quality more...just can't. I have managed to keep my nitrates below ten for the last month and have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. I feed Progold, veggies, daphnia and freeze dried bloodworms. (the frozen ones give me the serious Heebie-Jeebies).

So, rather than worrying about my lack of orange...I think I will decide that I ADORE the color brown in my goldfish!!!!! Perhaps I should make it sound more exotic. They are "Burnished Bronze", "Antique Bronze", and "Vintage Bronze".

Sounds good. At least they are doing well!!

shes all better! yay! and growing well. i have some aquarium salt which did the trick. i think my baby might be mostly white when she gets her colour as she is sort of silver rather than brown. i have a feeling shes going to be like her mummy!

Guest Orandaman

I'm glad to hear she is doing better, blinky. Good job! :)

Don't worry amysue they'll get their color, soon or later. I have still just one with color. If you're squemish about the bloodworm, just buy the ones packaged in frozen cubes. Just pop one in the tank frozen and all. You don't have to touch 'em at all. They love 'em.

Devs and cjumper are the ones with most of them changing color so far. Am I hearing you right Devs? Sounds like one of your fry is developing her wen? :tbanana Is the creamy color over the gill plate thicker than usual? :tbanana

Guest amysue

Calvin,

I just looked at my babies and 'Rose Beetle" has develped a vaguely orangish cast---but a definite black mohawk!!! :panana

As for the frozen bloodworms......hmmm....I'll think about it. The word "bllodworm" is almost enough to give me goose bumps!!!

It does take along time for the babies to get their full color. I have fantail fry that were born on 4-7. They have some coloring but its not rich like the parents yet. You know until having my own fry I didn't realize just how old the baby fish in the pet stores are when you buy them.

Reporting in...

My first one to change developed dark color along his head and back and fins, and scary reddish orange over his gills. We thought he might not be healthy, and watched closely. But the dark part changed into a dark mustache, bolero jacket, and black fins. All of that near black slowly faded, and he is now bright clear orange all over.

I now have 2 more still at the greenish dusky stage, and the other 2 are in the bolero jacket stage. One of the latter is HUGE and is turning a cool cream to white color. The other is turning red-brown... sort of chocolate bronze. I wish we could have at least one that stays greenish, but I hear that doesn't happen often with orandass.

No telling where on the color wheel any of these guys will end up though. My 5" black-trimmed lionhead is now completely orange, and my year-old formerly black moore is in his 2nd shrinking-black-bolero-jacket stage. His bod is turning white, and his face seems to be turning orange.

Whatever colors the babies grow into, they will be spoiled rotten. They are so tame and confiding. Our 2 girls each love to dangle a well-rinsed hand into their tank to get goldfish "smootches."

Thank you again, Orandafamily, for this wonderful gift.

Caroline in San Jose

Guest Orandaman

Thanks everyone for the updates. It sounds like everyone is experiencing the same thing. The black mohawk strip down it's head and back is the start of the process of color development.

The black melonine is a color that's hard to keep. Goldfish tends to loose the black color over time. There is no explicable reasoning for this, even among experts.

I don't know the time frame for the wen to begin developing. It is suggested that it doesn't start until a year or so. Some say that environment and diet has a lot to do with it. Genetic, however, is the main factor in how their wen develops. Since both parents have well developed wen, I expect these fry will also.

I read that goldfish genereally mature at around 10 months. That is about the time they should have all their color fully developed.

I noticed the same cudely behavior with the fry as well. They would nibble at my hand when I'm cleaning the tank. I had to shoo them away for fear of injuring them when I'm cleaning. But, they seem fearless. For this reason, I think they would be the first to fall prey to preditors if put in a pond at a later time.

Hans loves it when I pet him.

Here are some pictures for comparison of the fry from 1 week to 20 weeks.

At 1 week they are about 4-5 mm.

At 2 weeks they are about 6-7 mm.

At 3 weeks they are about 8-10 mm.

At 12 weeks they are about 25-30 mm.

At 20 weeks they are about 45-52 mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Three of our 5 babies are now orange: The tiniest, the biggest, and one in the middle. The other two are still greenish bronze.

The biggest might turn out to have some white on her body too.

The odd thing is that our 2" (plus big butterfly tail) Moore in the same tank is changing color right along with them. His black is disappearing to leave a panda pattern, and a muddy orange has appeared. I wonder whether this is pure coincidence. The Moore is all but blind, which is why he is rooming with the babies, so his change is not based on any visual cue.

Do they secrete something that tells others that it's time to change color? Is it some condition in the tank that is affecting multiple fish in the same way?

Ah, sweet mysteries of goldfish.

Caroline in San Jose

Guest amysue

My fry are in a tank alone...but I finally have an orange one...I check on him 50 times a day to watch the progress. My other two...greenish bronze, which is really a nice color, don't know why I am so impatient for orange!!

So, cjumper, your blind fish never interferes with the babies? I have toyed with the idea of putting my Smeagol...31/2 to 4 inch eyeless common in the tank with them...but chickened out....he probably is no threat.

I have to chase the other goldies in his tank away from the food every morning with his turkey baster so he can eat the few pellets I shoot at him with said baster. He might fair better with the youngsters, but maybe not, they are pigs too.

ok, we must be at the 15 week stage now. and shes only 1.5cm. :( i can tell shes going to be pale like her mum. only has the single tail though. very strange for a fancy but anyways, shes very cute. her tail looks just like a bristol shub at the moment. she is in a bowl at the moment :duck but it has a large surface area and it has a WAY bigger surface area than the little tub she was in before she moved. all my tanks are occupied at the minute by axolotls and fish. its about 3 gals so she looks totally lost in there! :rofl

Edited by blinky000

Blinky, mine have gone through growth spurts at different times. From time to time, one or another of them just expands in all directions within a few days.

Amysue, it might be worth a try. Our blind fish comes up to the top when he smells food, and I make sure he gets his share. He does try to chase the babies away from any food that sinks to the bottom, but they easily get away from him, and dart back to finish off the food before the bigger fish can find it again.

Caroline in San Jose

Guest AnnMc

:wall Orandaman, I'm desperate to see your photos of frys at different stages as I'm watching my own few. But I can't see them and Sendpix a being very unhelpful. Is there any other way of viewing them or, is there any way of permenantly posting them as a source of reference?

Your video of Hans & Hilda helped me confirm that mine were spawning rather than fighting!

Thanks

Ann

PS. you can guess, I'm new to all this! :blink: