Oranda Fry 10 Weeks Old. Video Clips

Guest Orandaman

how the heck did you get them to grow so fast???? what more can i do! theyre in 1.5 gal tubs EACH and im feeding them a mix of daphnia babies and hikari lionhead. i dont know what m doing wrong. theyre not even at the day 14 stage yet and theyre a month old!!!! ill try and get some pics tonight. they dont even look like fish yet!!!! ok..... bbbbrrrreeeeeaaaaatttthhhhh..........

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Orandaman

Lynn called today and said all arrived safe and sound. Hungry though!! :P

Amy should have received hers too by now.

Panda and Pondcometer, I still have 5 available. Anyone interested let me know. cvbwong@sbcglobal.net.

Several have reported theirs have color already. I have one that is starting to turn orange. My daughter lay claims to him. Haven't given him a name yet. Open to suggestions. I have a bunch of pictures mostly of him (or her). My daughter says it's a male cause he has a moustache. See for yourselves. click here

The biggest one is about 1.75 inches, smallest 1.25 inches. The smaller one is the one with color. How old? They hatched Jan 17, 2004.

What did I do to get them to grow bigger and faster? Blinky, that's a tough question. I don't know if I have an answer for you. I can't see that you are doing anything wrong. I can only tell you what I did. Remember, I was a novice at this when I started. Let's compare notes.

I started them with live baby brine shrimp for the first week; feeding them 4 times a day; at least 4 hours in between. On the second week I fed them decapsulated brine cyst. It can be purchased or process them yourself. I did it myself. I think they really gain weight and size fast on it. On the third week I started to feed them frozen daphnia and brine cyst. On the 4th week I stopped the brine cyst and added frozen baby brine shrimp. Afterward I added to their diet with crushed flakes, grounded progold pellets, cooked frozen peas (once weekly) and frozen tubilflex. After 8 weeks I dropped from 4 feedings a day to 3. Now I'm just feeding them twice a day.

I've always kept a close eye on water quality. Tested water daily for the bad stuff. Before I got a cycled tank for them I changed water often. Once every 2 to 3 days. Always treat the water with Prime and aged overnight. I always dribble the temperature adjusted water in by siphoning through a small tubing. Water temperature steady at around 70-75F.

I hope this will give you some clue. You can adjust these methods to suit your schedule. I wish you could keep one of my fry. I know you'll just love him.

THE CONTINUING SAGA....................................LOL----My what an interesting experience for you ,huh Calvin? How's it feel to have baby goldies all over the country? lol I tried to keep up with threads just out of curiosity of what members adopted and from where,but somehow I lost a few because you're down to just a couple of fish! I think it would be nice to make a listing of the names-how many each adopted ,and from where,just so we can keep tabs on all the brothers and sisters-to see their steps of growing,etc. You did a wonderful job,and its funny how you ended up being one of the last people to see the goldies turn orange-My babies were first!!! :D One last question.......Would you ever do it again?? Thanks Calvin!!!

Guest amysue

Calvin,

It's almost noon Frdau and my fish aren't here....I'm quite worried...how could they get lost---didn't have all that far to go.

Hopefully they will come this afternoon.....can they survive until Monday in the box? They are going to a work address...no one is there on Saturdays.

All I can do is wring my hands...and wait!!

Hang in there Amysue,I'm sure they will come!!!! Do you have any idea what time they usually deliver pkg.'s at your work? They tend to always come around close to the same times every day. Got my fingers crossed for you! :D

Guest Orandaman

I'm not sure why you haven't gotten the package yet Amysue. I took both yours and Lynn's to the post office at the same time. She in TN and got it Thursday. I was more concerned about her and checked the weather forecast just to make sure it's favorable.

Is it a big office? Maybe it got lost in the internal office mail.

However, don't worry about time. They will survive in the bags for a week or more. I just hope they're not stuck in a hot delivery truck somewhere.

Just pray and hope for the best.

I think I'll retire from goldfish breeding after this. It's been a fun and challenging feat for the last few months. My wife told me "don't say I didn't warn you". :rolleyes: My boss thinks I'm loosing concentration on my work because of family problems. Let's keep him thinking that way. :lol:

On the other hand... never say never. Right?

Guest amysue

My fry arrived today!!!! For some unexplained reason, the USPS failed to deliver yesterday...and were really late today.

I am just so relieved to know they are not sitting somewhere dying!!!!

So THANK YOU!!!!

Guest Orandaman

That's great news Amysue. :panana We're all relieved to hear they arrived safely. :panana

Well, Devs, we're all one big happy family now in a sense. :lol: Should we all email each other at Thanksgiving Day and exchange stories? :lol:

thanks for the info, orandaman. im going to the lfs today (maybe getting a betta if parents permit!) so ill have a look for the stuff you mentioned. especially the brine shrimp eggs. i might get myself a kit but they are ?10 which put me off last time but im kinda getting despriate for them to grow now! :lol:

devs, i did ask my parents if i could have one but they said no which is probably a good thing as i am already overstocked :( i still like to see pics of them all though! i feel so attatched to them! :rofl

Guest amysue

Update on my fry!! All three have lived the week and seem to be growing. I look forward to them developing some color and size as they can be a little hard to see in the 20 gallon!! They always hang out as a group.

They move like Bumble bees or humming birds, very still and then suddenly a buzzing zip to the other side of the tank! As a result, they are named Bumble, B-52 and Fizzing Whisbee!!

Thank you again Orandaman!!!

Guest goldfishpal

Update on my fry. They grow to much bigger in size, but still only one turned color like the one in Calvin's picture. Another one is overall more redish then the rest.

Maybe we should not call them fry any more. :rolleyes:

A question for Calvin: From the picture, it seems Hilda has double anal fin and Hans has single anal fin. Is it right?

For Devs' map, I am in Boston and adopted 5 babies.

Blinky, don't worry, we are on the same boat. My own fry is also growing slower like yours. My single biggest one can catch the size of Calvin's smallest one. But the rest are still tiny. I wouldn't complain since most of the time I can only feed them twice a day.

Nice weekend, everyone!

---Goldfishpal

Hi, all.

For the directory: I have claim to bragging rights here. I have the good luck to live close enough to Orandaman to have accepted personal delivery of the first 5 fry placed. (I brazenly asked for them.) We made the transfer at a big electronics store called Frye's... I'm not making that up, either. The woman who was checking bags and receipts at the exit seemed confused to open my paper bag and see 5 baby fish looking back at her.

The first fish to color up--from the entire batch, as far as I know--was the teeny runt we'd named Junior. He is now orange with a jet black ink-blot of a stripe from his forehead to his all-black tail. I bet he'll lose all the black in time. Of the other 4, the biggest 2 are still the original color, one has turned more dusky green/gray bronze, and one is turning rusty. I will be pleased whatever colors they turn out to be, but I hope at least one will not change at all. A big plump green/bronze oranda would be gorgeous.

I promised Orandaman that the fry would grow up to live in my new 75 gallon tank. But I might not keep that promise. Some friends who need are short on space for a new baby have offered me their 135 gallon... I figure that tank itself is big enough to use as the baby's room for a year or so, but who am I to argue?

Caroline in San Jose

It's funny,out of my group of four,the smallest one was also the first to start cahnging color.He's completely orange now. The two next to the smallest are light orange with a tint of brown still going down their back,and my last one-who is quite alot bigger from everyone else,is still more bronzy then anything.-I would have thought that he would have changed colors first.-Go figure....

Guest amysue

Fry directory....I am in San Diego and it took longer for my fish to arrive than the ones going to Tenn. Go figure.

I just looked at them again....bronze/brown, no change, but they are growing.

What are all of you feeding your little ones? Maybe I am not doing it right?

Guest goldfishpal

amysue, I think there is nothing to worry about no color changes. For your information, I am feeding them Hikari Oranda Gold mixed with goldfish flake twice a day, and treat them with frozen bloodworm and pea weekly. At the beginning I used a pepper mill to make pellet into smaller powder. But now I become lazy and feed them full size pellet.

---Goldfishpal

Guest amysue

Thanx Goldfishpal!! I can't bring myself to feed bloodworms...worm phobic, silly I know...but ewwww!!! But, been grating Progold/hikari lionhead and feeding twice daily. You have found that they can nibble at the big pellets? They do like peas!

I obviously feed too much since I just gravel vacuumed and had lots of schlock sucking up. So, will try to make myself feed less.

We were using mostly ground ProGold until a couple of days ago, when our dog sneakily ate the container and the few crumbs left in it. (Great Danes like Hikari Lionhead best, in case that's helpful. I'm watching for wen development.)

Now we're feeding the babies crumbled Hikari Lionhead, Tetra Sinking Granules (which are just the right size, but not a brand I would feed exclusively), very occasional treats like frozen brine shrimp or scrambled egg, peas twice a week, and tonight they had their first bits of grape and quarreled over it.

Having them and watching them grow has been magical.

Caroline in San Jose

Guest Orandaman

Thanks everyone for the update on what's happening with each of your babies and sharing your thoughts. It sounds great that everyone is enjoying them. One thing for sure, you are all spoiling them rotten. 20, 30, 75, 135 gallon tanks? You guys are putting me to shame with my 10gal.

It's funny when you think about it. It's just like taking puppies or kittens home when they're little. We enjoy every moment while they grow and see how they develop week by week. But most people don't get to do that with fish. We usually by them fully grown. We go to the LPS and look for the most beautiful and healthiest one they have. We carefully choose their color, tail, size and shape. We never get to see them develop to that stage.

Talk about color, I still just have the one. Since the last pictures I've shown, he has gotten deeper orange but interestingly have lost most of the black stripe down his back and head. There is still a black fringe all around the caudal and dorsal fins. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Click here http://www.sendpix.com/albums/04060110/om235wey95/" target="_blank">Webpage for lastest photos.

I had alway though the smallest fry were runts. Now I suspect that the smaller fry are males. I read that it is nearly impossible to tell the gender of fry (less than 6 months) by visual observation. The article continue to say that given a batch of fry hatched at the same time, siblings of smaller size are generally the male and larger ones are the female.

In another article, fry develop color and color characteristics more intense in an outdoor pond with rich variety of plant life with natural sunlight. This seems to suggest that nitrates may inhibit color development. Mmm.... Something to think about!! <_< Fish in a shaded pond have less color intensity.

Everyone else is getting color but me and I have the smallest tank. My nitrate test around 20-40ppm with regular water changes. My little one changes color each time I change water. Can anyone collaborate with me on that? Also read that recent study links upside-down fish to nitrate poisoning.

Yes, GP, you are right about Hilda and Hans' anal fins. Did you know that a fish's dorsal fin can tell you what mood it's in? An erect dorsal fin means it's alert and excited and happy. A drooping dorsal fin indicates shy, somber or frighten fish.

I guess after they get their color, the question for topic of discussion is... wen. When wen? Hans and Hilda both have well developed wen. Althought Hilda and Hans lineage is not known, with all indication all the fry will most likely have good wen growth. They certainly are well nurished. Are you serious CJ, scrambled egg and grapes? :P

Thanks everyone for sharing your story. Keep up the good work.

This has been a great thread, even not getting a fish. Excellent pictures!! I think this picture of the mama is just THE cutest thing, she actually looks like she is smiling here. Congrats on all the healthy and happy fish :)

5.jpg

Congrats on raising such excellent fish Orandaman :hi

Guest Orandaman

Thanks SuSu for the kind words. That's my favorite picture too. :lol:

I had to clean out the whole tank today to get ride of all the algae. I thought letting it grow would help control the nitrate. But, the whole tank is overgrown with it and the water started to get too green. Although the fish don't mind it, I think I prefer changing water more often to control the algae instead.

There seems to be little change in the color department. Just the one little fish with orange color. This would be week 22 for the fry. The biggest is a little less than 2 inches and the littlest one is about 1.5 inches.

I'll post some more pictures later this week.

:D Everyones orange but my last one,who is the very biggest out of them all! And compared to how they went through the color changes,this one just seems to be so different! He's trying to go orange,but he's got this darker orangy/bronze look that none of the others had-its kind of strange...

Guest Orandaman

Wow Devs, that is really fantastic. I guess you are the first. Hats off to you. :D

There was something I read that describe what you're seeing. Let me see if I can find it again. It was something about the fish loosing one color and develping another...something like that.

There is definitely a pattern developing here. All reported that their smaller ones got color before the bigger ones. Remember I said I read the smaller syblings are the male. At the risk of sounding foolish but I think all the males get their color first.

I still just have the one orange color fry. All the others are gray/brown. He has lost all the black on top of his head and essentially lost all of the black strip down his back. Only the outer edges of the dorsal and caudal fins have black. Would be nice if it stays like that.

No pictures this time, since there is not much difference to show. One thing different though is my tank is now cleaned of algae. Looks a lot brighter and cleaner. I though the algae would totally neutralize the nitrate. It didn't. It is almost algae soup but the nitrate is still around 20ppm.

Maybe something will turns up by this weekend. B)

:D Well Calvin,apparently you're on to something because those four fry did change color in order of size...The smallest, the next smallest,etc. I threw in some cucumber and a bit of broccolli for my bristlenose,and he never got to see it.Those babies ate like it was their last meal before going to the electric chair!!! I don't know what everyone elses look like,but the last time my daughter saw them,she couldn't get over how big they've grown!!! They are really looking chubby after this last feast they've had. I've been really busy lately. I just bought them a 75 gal. tank. Can you believe that? Right now they are in a 30 gal tank sharing space with bristlenose,2 dojo's,a horse face loach,an algae eater,and a betta! They of course rule the tank!!!! Those poor "bottom dwellers"don't have much of a chance of any good food hitting the floor!!! :D They even consume the poor betta's betta bites!!! Their main diet consists of Pro-Gold,algae waferer's, occasionly blood worms which seem to be a huge favorite!! They have only tried peas,the broccolli &cucumber so far.I'm going to try and introduce some new things for treats soon. I've seen them also eat the shrimp pellets,and tubiflex worms also. As soon as I get a free moment,I have to run out and get a stand so I can get that 75gal. started. Any tips you want to give me on anything at all? How many did you end up with in the end?