Oranda Fry 10 Weeks Old. Video Clips

Guest Orandaman

Guest Orandaman

There were several questions regarding how much it would cost to ship.

1-3 fish would be 1lb. and 4-6 fish would be 2lbs.

I'm getting ready to ship another 5 out tomorrow to an anxious member.

Under 1lb. 2 days USPS Priority mail is $3.85 Domestic.

Under 2lbs. 2 days USPS Priority mail is $5.75 Domestic.

Under 1lb. 4-6 days USPS Global Priority mail is US$8.00 to Canada.

Under 2lbs. 4-6 days USPS Global Priority mail is US$11.00 to Canada.

Under 1lb. 4-6 days USPS Global Priority mail is US$10.00 to United Kingdom.

Under 2lbs. 4-6 days USPS Global Priority mail is US$15.00 to United Kingdom.

I'm not certain what the international customs restriction are. I read the prohibition and restriction on the USPS webpage contained above but found nothing pertaining to marine animals. Does anyone know?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fishy

Those are lovely pictures. I can't get the video clip working for some reason, but the photos are so nice to look at.

Do many babies die early on, or do most survive? I presume that there are always runts who don't do so well?

Guest Orandaman

Spawing usually take place in early mornings with temperatures above 68F after a long period of cold. The female fish lay hundreds to thousands of eggs when spawning. A nest (Fine leaf plants or floating spawing mop) will help stimulate this activity as she swims through it. Thus, shallow water is ideal. One or more male will chase the female and nudge her from behind to stimulate her to release her eggs. These eggs will stick to any solid surface it comes in contact with, plants, rocks etc. An active and willing male will fertilize the eggs with his milt.

The live eggs that survive (not eaten by the fish) will hatch in approximately 96-120 hours depending on temperature. The ones that are fertilized turns clear in color. The ones that are not remains opaque and will be attack by fungus (fuzzy ball) in about 72 hours. One method commercial hatchery use to control the spread of fungus to live eggs is by dipping the plant or mop containing the eggs in a dilution of malachite green for 15 minutes.

Hatching eggs use up a lot of oxygen. So, adequate gentle aeration desirable. At this point keeping the water quality pristine and temperature constant is crucial. Eyes will begin to appear in about 72 hours. They will hatch in another 24-48 hours. A yolk sac will keep them nourish for about 3 days. They will spend most of the time hiding during this period. After 3 days they will come out looking for food. They are not good swimmer at this point and move with a jerky motion.

Those with genetic defect will die of disease or starvation because of inability to take on nourishment. Some with impaired immune systems will not survivie long after hatching. Some will have physical deformities of one type or another and lessen their chance of survival. Some will grow rapidly and some will stay small.

Fry at this stage are very fragile and should not be handle or netted. Mature fry later on that appear to have broken or deformed fins may have been caused by excessive handling. Because of their small size food will consist of microscopic animal or zooplankton. There is an excellent source of information on fry food pinned at top of this forum. Sudden changes in temperature can kill most or all the fry. So, a heater is recommended. When changing water, avoid a sudden change in pH. Introduce the new water slowly over a period of half an hour or so.

Survival rate is dependent on many factors. Many are not within our control. But with proper care and knowledge we can improve the odds for the better.

Bibliography

"Goldfish Guide" by Dr. Yoshiichi Matsui

"Goldfish Breeding" by Joseph Smartt and James H. Bundell

Guest goldfishpal

Thank you very much, Oranda man! Those babies are so lovely. I will take good care of them. I am also impressed with the ?breathable bags? that you used to ship the fry.

Have a nice weekend!

---Goldfishpal

Guest BubblesOwner

I wish I had my 90 gallon set up, I'd so love to have some of your adorable babies! But unfortunately I have no room at the moment.

Still, I wanted to comment on what a great post this was! It's so neat to see the babies from tadpoles to mini-goldies. :)

Guest Orandaman

The fry are 13 weeks old and are all doing great. I'll get some updated pictures in the next days or so.

I just shipped 5 fry to a member in the East coast earlier this week. Got there in 2 days. They arrived safe and sound.

Any one wanting to adopt is asked to pay actual postage. I'll pay for everything else.

Jessica says there are no customs imposed in Canada. So, the cost is US$8.00 by International Priority Mail. For more details check out my previous post on this thread. Transit time is 4-6 days which is not a problem for the fry. They can survive for up to two weeks in the special shipping bags I use. I use 5X Prime to treat the water before shipping. Any ammonia or nitrite will be neutralized. Oxygen and CO2 exchange freely through the special bag.

I will replace any fish at my cost if not satisfied. Is that a deal or what? :D

Guest amysue

Orandaman----just viewed the clip today. (where have I been?) I am amazed by how glorious they all look. I have been dying for an Oranda--but sadly have no space...grrrrrr.

But, maybe I can work on it?!? ;) . I am in San Diego.....shipping would be fast! Any left? How many are you keeping?

Hi amysue,Welcome to the forum! :D Orandaman just sent me four of his babies-should be here in a day or two :panana:panana:panana I'm so excited,and I can't wait to see the little beauties! He still has alot left,as far as I know ,he only plans on keeping two. Hope you enjoy the forum!

Guest Orandaman

Not a problem Amysue. From SF to San Diego is a short trip.

I still have 30 oranda fry. As Devs says, I'm just keeping 2.

I just shipped 4 to Devs today. She should get them Thurs.

Here are some pictures I took just before I pack them up.

They all have beautiful tails and fins. :goldfish

• 2 weeks later...

I just loved the pics. I hope me and a few friend could get some of these wonderful baby. Do you still have any more. :huh: I just dig a pond and put the GF out in it and now I have a 75gl tank with nothing in it, but algaeaters. They would look soo good in it. B)

Edited by Lynn

:D Update....Well,I've had my babies for 10-11 days,and I can't believe how much they've grown allready! Simply amazing! :rolleyes: All 4 seem to be at different color stages,from drab brown to one thats turning brown/orange-he has dark stripe from head to tail also,it looks like a mohawk!!! All I can say is they are happy ,certainly healthy looking,and Calvin,I give you credit-I don't think I could have given any of them up! :D LOVE my 4 babies!!!! Thanks!!!!

Guest Orandaman

Thanks for the update on the fry Devs. I'm happy to hear they started to get some color. Mine still have no color. :( The goldfish books say they should show color by 3 to 4 months. I don't know if what I'm feeding them is the cause. I'm feeding them frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms and flakes with shelled frozen peas once a week.

I was hoping they have some color so I can post some pictures. They look just like they did since the video, just bigger.

Two other who have adopted my babies reported some color. We discussed the matter and couldn't figure out why mine have no color yet. I'm wondering if because I have them in a small tank (10 gallon).

I'm planning to ship some to Lynn this week or the next. With luck they'll develop some color by then. :D

I've heard from some people with Ranchu fry that developed color after 4 weeks. I wonder if orandas are much different.

Anybody have an answer or some comments on this? :unsure:

Edited by Orandaman

The funny thing is that right now,they're in a community tank while I'm cycling a tank for them.I had completely forgotten to ask you what you fed the little buggers,so I was a little concerned because they are so small. Let's put it this way,for as small as they are,they eat whatever I throw in there for anyone else! :D Foz/dried bloodworms,sinking shrimp pellets/algae wafers,baby goldfish sinking pellets,and today I caught them eating betta bites(I have a couple baby bettas too young to bother anyone yet) and the one goldie saw a tubiflex cube that was stuck to side of tank for adf's break loose,and the goldie was racing up and down in the water current taking bites out of it>>LOL I haven't done peas,wern't sure if they could do those yet,but I will start now. ;) How many babies are you down to now?

Guest goldfishpal

Really, Dev? Yours have color and eat algae walfer? Mines do not have color yet. Two bigger ones seem more orange than the others, hopefully that is a start for color changes. Mines are also eating almost everything, but havn't shown much interest in algae walfer yet. I am going to move them to a more bright tank. Hopefully that will promote some color.

Orandaman, they were all in 10 gallon before? Did they mess up the water 10 seconds after you change water for them? ;) Two thumbs up for your babies. They are healthy and lovely. Thanks again! Only 6 of my own fry can barely catch up with the size of your smaller one at week eight, the rest of them are still tiny.

---Goldfishpal

Guest Orandaman

Yeah, all the fry (46) started out in a 2 gallon bucket, then a 3 gallon bowl and finally a 10 gallon tank. When you're tight on space, you have to make do with a small tank.

I use to have to change 50% water every 2-3 days. I always treat my water with Prime and age it over night. After cleaning the gravel with a siphon into a 5 gallon bucket, I mark the level of water siphoned out with a piece of masking tape. After discarding the dirty water, I place same amount of treated water to the mark. I check the temperature to match +/-1F. I then siphon the water in through a small tubing. I just happen to have the tank at the foot of the stair case so I place the bucket on one of the steps a few inches above the tank. Then I go about doing other things without worrying about over filling or shocking the fry.

Now with the tank fully cycled and algea, the tank is stable enough for me to change 30% water every week or when nitrate reach 40ppm. I have only 25 fry now, thanks to all you goldfish lovers willing to adopt them.

I did read that orandas develop color and their hood (wen) slowly over 2-3 seasons (6-8 months). After genetics, diet and environmental conditions have a direct impact on thier color development.

Marche, I need your mom or dad to email me to get information and where to send money for postage. Please have them email me at cvbwong@sbcglobal.net.

Lynn, I'm still waiting for your answer on the last email I sent you.

orandaman, do you think you could post early pics of the fry up again because the album expired and i need to see if my fry are growing at the rate they should be. really helpful pics!

Guest Orandaman

Sure Blinky. I think some of the fry are getting some color!! :lol: I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Oranda fry 1-3 weeks

Oranda fry 4-6 weeks

Oranda fry 7-9 weeks

Oranda fry 12-16 weeks

Hans and Hilda

Video clip of 10 week old fry.

Video clip of Hans and Hilda spawning

Lynn and Amy, here are some pictures of the fry just before they left for their new home.

Guest PondCometer

Do you have any left Orandaman or have they all been sent out to their new homes..I'd love to have one if not two what part of CA are you in?

Edit: Just read past post I'm in San Diego just like Amy..think we can work something out email me AzNChouChou@hotmail.com or drop a reply Thanks

Edited by PondCometer

how big are they from head to tail if you measure? They look alot like a baby fish I bought about a month ago. He's small but does not have a wen yet or anything. Do you still have any? I would maybe like one or two if I can.